Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transistor

1. Default Re: Transistor

I just finished it, as well. And for me, too, it took approximately 11-12 hours to complete. I. loved. it. It was so good. Since I literally just finished it, I'm still kind of flabbergasted of what to say exactly, but it's just... so good.

I have only three main complaints: 1) For those who don't care to take the "completionist" route through the game, it can be short. 2) Before you get access to enough Memory and access to good Functions, it can be hard preparing yourself properly for fights, especially if you are making the game harder with the Limiters (similar to the Idols in Bastion). 3) On the opposite side, by the end of the game, the final boss is honestly a pushover with the proper setup, even with Limiters.

Also: the art and music in this game are just incredible. I have the entire soundtrack saved on Spotify. It's crazy, but honestly this is an early contender for Game of the Year for me.

Will be starting my Recursion playthrough later today to 100% complete the game. I gotta get me dem Steam trading cards for the game, so I can get me a Transistor background...

2. Default Re: Transistor

Apparently I'm extremely close to the ending, but the only thing I don't much care for thus far is that the skill balancing isn't all that great? Some skills are obviously far superior to others and some are pretty much only useful as passives/upgrades. :/

3. Default Re: Transistor

Very true. About 3/4 through the game I basically stuck with the same set-up, unless I was switching out Functions in different modes specifically to unlock the full data files. Crash() + Breach() and Jaunt() is hands-down one of the best combinations. Spammable, low Turn cost, enemies hit Crash (Paralyzed) for a few seconds, they also become more vulnerable to other damaging Functions used, and it can even be used during Turn Recovery. Another favourite was Void() + Purge() and Get(), giving you a low cost, Purge (Poison)-inflicting, debuff Function that can be stacked 3 times and also draws in other nearby enemies that also will get affected by the debuff. I also cannot understate the usefulness of Switch(), even if only to provide you breathing room as the enemies go after the charmed enemy instead of you.

As for Passives, I almost permanently stuck with Bounce() (gives you a reflective shield that will reapply itself after a small cooldown), Spark() (creates a clone target whenever you get attacked/targeted for an attack) and finally Mask() (once you get the skill to consistently kill off opponents quickly, this one becomes incredibly OP; kill an enemy, you automatically get turned invisible, become intangible to enemy attacks or targeting, and if you attack, it inflicts buffed damage).

4. Default Re: Transistor

At least there's a lot of variety.
    Spoiler

edit:
    Spoiler
    Last edited by y0y0y0y0shi0; 2014-05-21 at 01:36 PM.

5. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Default Re: Transistor

I haven't played the game much. Only about 4 hours of gameplay. I LOVE the soundtrack and I wish I could listen to it, but a lot of people, including Supergiant Games, have said the music has a lot of spoilers so it's recommended to not listen to it until after you beat the game.

I like how they incorporated the "Shrine" system from Bastion in where you can make the game as hard or easy as you want.

6. Default Re: Transistor

I wont be able to play it until like july ;_;
    This is true suffering since they, as you said, said that the soundtrack has spoilers in it.
    Can't wait to listen to the soundtrack. I bought the bastion soundtrack signed by Darren Korb, hoping they offer the same thing for Transistor.

7. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

I won't be able to get it until next week at the earliest myself. A friend of mine said she beat it in about 5 hours, even with all the extra stuff. Is it really that short or does it depend on how you play?

8. Default Re: Transistor

Music doesn't really have many spoilers, aside from maybe the end song? It's beautiful either way.

And game completion seems to average around 6~9 hours?

9. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Just bought it and installed it. I had no idea about the game until a week or two ago when I played Bastion for the first time (despite having it on my Steam for like a year and a half).

Gonna start playing soon <3

EDIT: Hooked after that first battle. Wow, I love the strategy planning thing. What a fun mechanic.
    Unfortunately, I have to stop there though. I'm having a weird font/text bug where all the letters in the game are replaced by white blocks. Apparently I have to update my drivers and pomegranate, yawn.

I thought it was a stylish thing at first, like it was the language or something. But when the tutorial boxes and stuff came up in the same way, I had my doubts.

10. Default Re: Transistor

Regarding Functions, this is what I was using around the end of the game (judging by the time this screenshot was taken, I finished an hour or two later) and it didn't change that much afterwards, as far as my main strategy went. I experimented with some things in the other slots but I can't remember what I ended up with exactly.

Spoiler

Also regarding late-game enemies:
    Spoiler

11. Default Re: Transistor

Beat it in 4 hours, though I only did a few of the challenge maps. Really short imo, but still really good. I'm gonna go through NG+ to try out some other skill combinations.

The setup I used throughout most of the game was:

12. Default Re: Transistor

They made a patch out today and im able to play now wooo. Wondering if we eventually get every skill or nah?

13. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    Colorado

People said it was the music with lyrics that had spoilers, which I'm not sure how many there are in the soundtrack personally.

From what I read, the patch was solely for the Steam version since it has a lot of crashing problems.

Also, you get every function by Level 13. Afterward it's just getting the limiters and slot unlocks and duplicate functions for uber game breaking.

I personally just finished the game in around 9 hours. Granted I ended up accidentally skipped some stuff in the midgame, because I happened to choose the correct path first try.

Ending

14. Default Re: Transistor

The songs with lyrics are "The Spine", "In Circles", "We All Become" (the full version of which isn't played in the game, IIRC), and "Paper Boats".

There's also "Signals" but that's a bonus track, apparently. I haven't listened to it yet so I'm not sure if it contains spoilers or not.

Since some people may consider this a spoiler, the song in the credits is
    Spoiler

15. Default Re: Transistor

And all of the songs except the ending one were just sort of played in the background, IIRC. I don't think they actually had a significance story-wise? We All Become KIND OF did but it was the entire trailer song anyway sooo

Also I got the stupid PS4 game crash that's been happening in like every PS4 game, right before the final boss. Did anyone else who was using the PS4 get it?

16. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    Colorado

Haven't had any crashes yet. I did have some slowdown in the game, but I figured that was normal when you have a billion things on the screen at once.
    Although, I have seen a couple streamers also crash just before the final boss, but they were playing on the Steam version, which was reported to have a ton of crashing problems.

I guess the good thing about this game is it doesn't autosave at every freaking moment so you can't risk the save file getting corrupted.

17. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

I didn't play for very long last night. I beat the first boss, and the game started stuttering and being weird while I was fighting it. The cutscene shortly after on the bike also kept stuttering, and when the cutscene ended, the sound effects didn't. So I got a black screen with the same sound effects on a loop until I finally managed to close it about 10 minutes later.

Hoping the patch fixed that, the game seems awesome.

18. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    Colorado

Started playing "Recursion Mode" and my god does the game just become super broken once you get max memory (32).

This is what I've been using for pretty much all of Recursion and it turns you into a super tank with insane damage output during Turn().

Spoiler

19. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Everytime I start getting into the game fully, it crashes. It's really starting to piss me off, especially when it takes like 20 minutes to close the damn thing down.

I like the passive that turns you into a super saiyan 25% of the time and gives you the "Kill" ability.

20. Default Re: Transistor

I've found it's realllllll bad in NG+ though when everything's shielded and has a billion health :(