1. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Default Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

Edit: thread title needed to be more specific: "Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX under the following circumstances?" would be more appropriate.

I'll just say it (even though it has already been explored a bit in an earlier thread):

If you're trading NX for items or vice-versa without scamming/hacking/cheating, and Nexon bans you, that's completely unreasonable of them regardless of what their rules say. I think it is 10 times easier to gift someone a few packages of cubes totaling 100k nx, for instance, than to come up with 5B+ (going by the 1:50 conversion rate). Nexon isn't losing money when people do this because people who sell/trade NX will keep buying it from stores/credit. It loses money when people buy/sell items with real money (and I bet that most of those transactions include items gained illegitimately).

So if Nexon were to ban someone for the sole purpose of trading NX they've purchased legitimately for items. Is that player likely to purchase more NX if they are banned permanently? Nope. That's where Nexon would lose more profits. The buyer may not have the means to buy NX themselves anyway.

Furthermore, let's consider the following scenarios:

Player 1 decides to gift a 2x card for 2 hours of HS (it happens more often than you think) for an upcoming 2x event to player 2. Player 2 was unaware of a 2x event until the last second so they cannot run to the store to buy a card and have no credit card. That right there is trading items or service for nx. If, by the TOS, that's considered illegal, how can Nexon distinguish that from simply gifting someone a 2x card if you're just doing it as a favor for a friend? Would a ban for this be reasonable? No it wouldn't. How about a ban for a cube package with similar circumstances? Where would the line be drawn? So you gift someone a cube package for their birthday and they still want to pay you back in some way. Them paying you back makes the whole transaction a bannable offense yet them not paying you back does not? ./boatload of rhetorical questions.

Edit:
    Regardless of the dictatorship Nexon has over its accounts/players, the question here is a moral one, not a legal one: Is it right or wrong to ban players for honestly and legitimately b/s NX?
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2013-03-18 at 06:26 PM.

2. Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

The game is a dictatorship. They don't need to differentiate, or even justify because you agreed they could dunk you for any reason at all when you signed up.

3. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

As long as people are buying NX cards because they know they can sell it to people for quick and easy in-game mesos, I don't think Nexon would be banning buyers/sellers anytime soon. Now buying from goldfarmers? That's where the line is clearly drawn.

4. Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

Except enough people have been victims of such practices. Guess what? Most of them end up whingeing in-game or on the internet about how 'Don't buy NX from XXX he's a scammer!!11!'. The rule is there so that if anything goes wrong, it is not Nexon's responsibility.

5. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

Just going to say this right now, Blizzard suspends people who trade real world goods for in-game currency, or vice-versa. I don't see why Nexon wouldn't do the same thing if they were actually competent.

6. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Do you think there's no problem with that kind of authority?

*edit* What I mean is that in the case of banning someone just because they, for instance, blinked funny. Is there nothing wrong with that kind of authority in accordance with such a scenario?

7. Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

If Nexon actually cared they would put someone undercover in-game to "sell NX" and ban people while doing that.

8. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

But it shouldn't be in effect for when something goes right (that's the point I'm trying to make).

9. Neutron Straight Male
    IGN: LegitLance
    Server: Renegades
    Level: 228
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: Solitude
    Alliance: FISH
    usa

Doesn't matter, its their game. We have no say. We agreed to that authority when we signed up.

10. Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

That is kind of irrelevant. This is not a democracy where people can decide how the goverment should be run, nor will it ever be.

11. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

I'm pretty sure that is entrapment, although I don't know if that applies to video games like this.

12. Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

Entrapment applies to agents of law enforcement.

@OP : you're using "unreasonable" as a defense when the line of reason is decided by Nexon, not you.

13. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Regardless of the dictatorship Nexon has over its accounts/players, the question here is a moral one, not a legal one: Is it right or wrong to ban players for b/s NX where everything goes right?

14. Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

Yes. It is and has always been against the rules. Enforced or not, people should always be prepared to face the consequences. It might not be reasonable, but it is not wrong either.

15. Neutron Male
    IGN: Yugidude3536
    Server: Bera
    Level: 177
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Prospect
    Alliance: ComeAtUsBro
    Michigan

My point of view is that if its against the rules, dont do it. End of story. So to me, yes, it is "immoral"
    However, allow me to ask a (slightly) differant question: "If you had the power to change the rules, would you make it OK to buy/sell NX?"
    My answer to that question would be anything that allows the game to continue functioning (ie; the loss of NX buyers does not drive nexon to bankruptcy), and makes the game a more positive experience for the players, should be allowed

Of course, that opens the door to the question of "what if it does not drive them to bankruptcy, but forces them to fire GMs due to budget cuts?" in essence makeing the game overall worsel

16. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

How is it not wrong morally? So if Nexon banned a player just for blinking that's not morally wrong?

17. Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

there's a huge difference between pineappleing blinking and going out of your way to break a rule that's constantly being stated via in game messages.

18. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

I think it's been thoroughly established that we're throwing the TOS/rules/in-game messages out of the window here. Ethics.

19. Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

The ToS must be considered when we talk about ethics in this case though. There is no such thing as unconditional ethics that can be applied universally.

20. Default Re: Would it be morally fair of Nexon to ban buyers/sellers of NX? I think not.

In the real world, anyone who wants to redistribute/re-sell a company's products for commercial gain is legally obliged to pay distribution rights/royalties/whatever, if not, at least sign a contract of sorts to gain the privilege to do so. Of course, people get away with not doing it 99% of the time (especially if you're a small business) but that doesn't mean it's okay.