IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Default Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

I'm a proponent of turning this game into a pay-to-play game. But I'll state what I think are cons in addition to pros so as not to be completely biased. Before I begin, let's say the process includes a 5 dollar monthly fee charged to a credit card, each account can only have 1 credit card number associated with it, so having at least 1 mule account would cost you 5 bucks extra. Also, 1 credit card number cannot be used for more than 2 accounts. With this change, I'd also imagine each payed-for account would get default perks people would be clamoring for. For instance, "each account can have 40 players maximum on it". Shouldn't 40-50 free slots be more than enough to hold every known class plus a mule or two? Unless I'm mistaken, the current limit is 18(?). That's like 22 extra slots for the price of 1. Or, something like free permanent shop-permit in addition to the extra slots, as the poster below me pointed out is a current problem with maple.

Pros:

1. Obvious one is less hacking and less cheating. 'Nuff said.
    2. Yes there would be less people playing, but also less work load for GMs in terms of things like answering tickets.
    3. With less botting, items would inflate in price, value, and demand. Which legit average-to-funded player wouldn't like that?
    4. More money for Nexon (pro for Nexon only on the surface). This also means the game has more stability for the future.
    5. Less accounts logged in at the same time (aka botting) means less server congestion and less lag.
    6. Players won't have 100+ accounts to abuse events with.
    7. Much easier for Nexon to catch cheaters since most wouldn't dare fake credit card information.

Cons:

1. Game would initially lose a huge amount of players (including tons and tons of hackers though).
    2. With less botting, items would inflate in price. No legit poor player would like that. (Of course at that point if they make things like epic+ potentials significantly cheaper and easier to obtain for the lower-funded, the damage gap between rich and poor would be narrowed considerably).
    3. Would alienate the poor players and become less accessible (This con is the only one I'm a bit concerned about. However, I'd think most current players have purchased at least some NX at some point already, about 2 out of every 3 have, according to my poll in another thread).
    4. Players won't have 100+ accounts to abuse events with. (not a con for me but could be a con for others.)
    edit: 5. It being pay2play would discourage new people from joining (as a few people mentioned)

I don't understand why Nexon would not do this. I think it helps them immensely in the long run. IMO, the pros outweigh the cons by far. But please state your opinion. Do you agree with the pros and cons? Would you add other ones to the list? Do you agree with making it P2P at all?
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2013-03-11 at 07:38 PM.

2. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

Maple's end-game is non-existent, its reliance on power creep to make money has done a lot of damage, and its lack of basic features found in most other MMOs (like being able to set up a basic shop for free) are just some of the major problems, and the game's almost a decade old. Unless the dev team and the management undergoes a drastic evolution, I don't see them being able to make Maple appealing enough to justify being P2P.

3. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

MapleStory can and never will go to Pay to Play. The existence of the model is slowly dying as it is. Switching to it would be suicide. To add to it, all the problems the game has with stability and balancing, it's all unbefitting of a Pay to Play game. Combined with the already broken potential system, they would lose money by switching even if every single player they have now stayed.

4. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

How exactly?

5. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

Rather than charging a monthly fee, just an outright $5 to create an account would solve at least 50% hacking problems and weed out a good 50% of the population that is mentally retarded. The rest of the game could stay as it is.

6. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

Considering 10 cubes = more than a monthly payment, that's exactly how. People pour money into cubes, and not just that, but avatars, pets, wheels, shops, etc. Just 10 cubes alone is more than a monthly payment in any P2P MMO.

That's even with the hypothetical that EVERY single player stayed, which is unlikely/nearly impossible. I know from experience with other games that if you don't have to pay monthly, people will play AND pay, yet the second you mention a mandatory payment to play monthly, people flip pomegranate and leave. It's actually a literal reason there's not a larger Monster Hunter Frontier Online English community. People flip pomegranate over the thought of being forced to pay monthly, yet will go on games like MS and pay out the ass for power. I've literally seen this happen with my own eyes.

7. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

If everyone stays and has to pay 5 dollars more than what they're paying now, Nexon would lose money because that's 10 less cubes being bought? Who's to say less cubes will be bought as a result of this? Who's to say they can't make cubing cheaper? There's no correlation between spending habits and a mesely 5 dollar surcharge imo.

8. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

wow dispite how stupid I think pay-to-play is for maple this idea is actually pretty sweet. They can do something like you have to register a credit card number but the first account on that creditcard is free.

9. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

Because the Pay to Play charge is bad for pulling players in. It turns a lot of people away. The people it keeps, they are less likely to spend because they're already spending to play in the first place. To top it off, there's no excuse for the Pay to Win scheme they have now if they're going to force a Pay to Play scenario. It's insulting to the players. It's essentially saying,
    "Hey, want to play the game? Pay monthly. Oh, you want to actually DO something in the game now? Pay more."

There's a reason the majority of games besides WoW have shifted off of a Pay to Play subscription fee.

This is far better than a Pay to Play situation. It's essentially Buy to Play. But that's not really stopping many hackers in other Buy to Play games. I think it's a good attempt, but I doubt it would really do all that much, at least in terms of botters. Maybe hackers, but that depends on how much money they make off of their hacked gear. It would certainly deter regular hackers, but those in it for profit...another story.

Not just paying for stuff, but paying for EXACTLY THE SAME stuff.

10. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

What's the point of paying monthly fee if you still have to pay for stuff?

11. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

You have a point.

12. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

Totally me, even if it's only $5.

13. Neutron Male
    IGN: Kill/Nozomi
    Server: Bellocan
    Job: Hayato/Shadower
    Guild: Random
    Alliance: Random
    Farm: Never going to touch this
    New_York

No one would play it. Assuming the average mmo sub is $10-$15 paying for cubes is ridiculous to add on top of that monthly fee. Pay to win is flawed in a subscription MMO. It wouldn't work for maple story due to cubes and unless nexon would change the cubes prices to something ridiculously cheap and have cubes drop from the monsters the game would die out. The only route nexon could take is the guild wars route being buy to play but even then that idea is flawed.

14. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

But let's add a wrinkle to it where after 6 months (30 bucks), you get the perks of, say, 40% off cubes or 50% off ...whatever. So in the long run you'd actually save the money to be used on stuff like cubes.

I guess you're absolutely right about pulling completely new people in though.

15. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

It's honestly hard to say how players both new and existing will react to this. We need some expert analysts in this field to gauge the feasibility of Maple going P2P.

For the average person in their late teens (say, 16+), $5 is not a lot. But the problem is finding out their playing habits and how much the game means to them. In my case, I can spend hundreds of dollars on this game every month if I wanted to, but I don't and choose to spend $~50 a year at most because I'm a casual gamer. Sure, that's probably not much different from having to pay $5 on a monthly basis, but for me, that surchage is certainly going to affect my spending habits on the game.

Now, that is just assuming that I'll continue to play in the first place if Maple becomes P2P. If I feel that it's not worth it, I'll just move to some other F2P MMO, like Tera, for example. I started an account on that last month but haven't found the time to juggle between two MMOs at once. However, such a move by Nexon could very well make the difference between me choosing Tera over Maple.

The heavy spenders who have invested lots of money into the game already will most likely continue to play. And with the saying 'birds of a feather flock together', their friends will also most likely fall into the same category. The problem is the lower-class Maplers who either cannot afford to pay, such as those without income (typically in their early teens), or those that can make conscious decisions for themselves and simply jump ship to the other sea of F2P MMOs out there.

16. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

That's not a bad idea, however the question must arise, "Would that send the right message?"

I mean, the idea that something in the cash shop is so important that people get a discount on it for being a long time player...it kind of screams the concept of P2W. At least right now people don't know unless they do their research before joining, however it's basically advertising it on the homepage with that.

17. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Exactly. If Nexon went P2P (which they will never, ever do), the would have to at a minimum:
    1. Hire more customer service staff
    There is a huge difference in the level of GM access and customer service response between what Maple has and P2P games. When I was playing SWTOR and got stuck in a map glitch, a live GM responded to my ticket and teleported me out of the spot, and logged the incident for developer fix in under and hour. I was shocked and amazed.
    2. Make Regular store permits free
    There's a level of expectation for "quality of life" in a P2P MMO. No one get's away with this kind of pomegranate when you already have to pay a monthly fee.
    3. Monthly allotment of cubes (debatable amount/type)
    If you're paying a monthly fee, you should get something for your money even if it's determined by RNG.
    4. Faster developer response time
    Nexon is no where near industry standard for bug/glitch/exploit response time for P2P games.

I could probably think of a lot more things that might need to be changed, but it get's rather subjective. My point is that MapleStory does not and cannot compete with P2P MMOs in it's current state. Not to mention having Nexon transition it's flagship game to P2P would cause a huge investor panic because it would indicate that the F2P model they "pioneered" has failed.

EDIT: If by definition the subscription "saves" you money, Nexon is losing money.

18. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

Nothing can fix ms.
    Hackers, Nexons and us have done too much for the game to be fixed.
    Would be better if they just start over.

19. Default Re: Pros and Cons of Making the game Pay-to-Play

We can always hope that's why MS2 is taking so long.

20. Neutron Male
    IGN: Kill/Nozomi
    Server: Bellocan
    Job: Hayato/Shadower
    Guild: Random
    Alliance: Random
    Farm: Never going to touch this
    New_York

That idea is would not work your essentially still paying to win discounts mean nothing. To people already paying for a subscription. You start a new account a monthly fee and you still have to pay more money to do anything in the game at high levels. There is literally nothing free except for leveling in maple story besides certain bosses like normal horntail and zakum. This essentially puts any player off at the game.