I'm a proponent of turning this game into a pay-to-play game. But I'll state what I think are cons in addition to pros so as not to be completely biased. Before I begin, let's say the process includes a 5 dollar monthly fee charged to a credit card, each account can only have 1 credit card number associated with it, so having at least 1 mule account would cost you 5 bucks extra. Also, 1 credit card number cannot be used for more than 2 accounts. With this change, I'd also imagine each payed-for account would get default perks people would be clamoring for. For instance, "each account can have 40 players maximum on it". Shouldn't 40-50 free slots be more than enough to hold every known class plus a mule or two? Unless I'm mistaken, the current limit is 18(?). That's like 22 extra slots for the price of 1. Or, something like free permanent shop-permit in addition to the extra slots, as the poster below me pointed out is a current problem with maple.
1. Obvious one is less hacking and less cheating. 'Nuff said.
2. Yes there would be less people playing, but also less work load for GMs in terms of things like answering tickets.
3. With less botting, items would inflate in price, value, and demand. Which legit average-to-funded player wouldn't like that?
4. More money for Nexon (pro for Nexon only on the surface). This also means the game has more stability for the future.
5. Less accounts logged in at the same time (aka botting) means less server congestion and less lag.
6. Players won't have 100+ accounts to abuse events with.
7. Much easier for Nexon to catch cheaters since most wouldn't dare fake credit card information.
1. Game would initially lose a huge amount of players (including tons and tons of hackers though).
2. With less botting, items would inflate in price. No legit poor player would like that. (Of course at that point if they make things like epic+ potentials significantly cheaper and easier to obtain for the lower-funded, the damage gap between rich and poor would be narrowed considerably).
3. Would alienate the poor players and become less accessible (This con is the only one I'm a bit concerned about. However, I'd think most current players have purchased at least some NX at some point already, about 2 out of every 3 have, according to my poll in another thread).
4. Players won't have 100+ accounts to abuse events with. (not a con for me but could be a con for others.)
edit: 5. It being pay2play would discourage new people from joining (as a few people mentioned)
I don't understand why Nexon would not do this. I think it helps them immensely in the long run. IMO, the pros outweigh the cons by far. But please state your opinion. Do you agree with the pros and cons? Would you add other ones to the list? Do you agree with making it P2P at all?