Thread: Alan Wake

1. Default Alan Wake

Just finished Alan Wake today. Very good storytelling, reminded me a lot of how Bioshock used atmosphere and story over gameplay to keep you engaged. I loved the entire ride, but...

Spoiler

Definitely recommended it to anyone - the gameplay is engaging but not difficult, it's mostly there to keep you going between story elements. There was never a puzzle or action moment that I thought "wow, this is difficult" but it was never "too easy" either. Think of it more as suspense vice "horror." Anyone else here played it, maybe someone that can help elaborate on anything I might've missed in the ending? Maybe I missed something in the game that would've given me a "good" ending or something, though I hate games that do that...

2. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Alan Wake

I loved the episodic format and how they made it look like a TV show. And there were a lot of story elements told through the game itself and through collectibles, I loved the combat and the graphics of your flashlight literally burning the enemy, and the animation of the gun shots, the enemy dissolving into sparks when they do. Also that slow motion when you dodge an attack made for some for very impressive, dramatic and fun fights.

One of the most visually appealing games I've ever played, with the added bonus of having a story and atmosphere which plays like one big Stephen King novel (King even gets mentioned a couple of times).

The DLC and the spin-off game expand on the ending slightly.
    Spoiler

I honestly can't remember much of the ending though, since I played the game years ago. One of things I remember though is that /* the dark presence */ isn't dead yet because you see it during the final Deerfest Parade.

3. Default Re: Alan Wake

Who was your favorite character? I personally liked Odin/Thor and Barry. The squeaky hammer/eyepatch were hilarious little references to their namesakes. I think I could pull off a cosplay of Alan once I'm out of the Navy and can grow my hair back out, though.

4. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Alan Wake

Hmm, I can't remember very well, but I did like Alan as a character.

Odin and Thor grew on me too /* once I realized how deeply connected they were to the plot and not just background characters. */
    Last edited by Razmos; 2013-03-11 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Spoiler'd. Apologies.

5. Default Re: Alan Wake

That second part should probably be spoiler'd.

Rose was kindof neat too, wasn't a big fan of the FBI guy though. He was just way over the top...
    Spoiler