IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

Default Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

This was a very interesting watch. It basically explains and addresses the trope of "Damsel in Distress" (and other tropes in coming videos) and how much it's used in video games.

A lot of people are really shooting this thing down, and I really don't see why. She's making an awareness to how women are usually portrayed in video games, but people are taking the message the wrong way completely. It's nothing more than opening your minds to think critically.

2. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

I also find it hilarious that doods created a Tropes vs Men thing because of this.

WHY NOT WORK TOGETHER AND FIGHT THE STEREOTYPES.

┻━┻︵ヽ(`Д´")ノ︵┻━┻

3. Lazy Mathematician Female
    IGN: MsJudith
    Level: 130
    Job: aran
    Guild: n/a
    Alliance: n/a
    California

Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

Tropes will be tropes~

ooc: i couldn't think of much else to say because EACH time... EACH time i see raizoo's avatar... my mind just blanks out :D

4. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

They're probably pissed because she took everyone's money and poofed without any sort of update for almost a year.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s/posts/245217

5. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

Except she did update people that donated.

6. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

Yeah I saw this too as well as some of the videos that the men put out to criticize her.

What exactly did she need the donations for? I know it was to spread awareness but was it just her speaking out or was she going to fund the development of a game with female protagonist without sexualizing them or making it "pink"?

Personally I feel like making a game would be more productive. Honnestly I like her idea and I encourage it. Women being protagonists in games but when she talks all I seem to hear is "how X or Y is doing it bad." Its great that she shows examples of wrong doing but she never seems to describe a game that does it right. If she would do that or come up with a plan to create a game with what she things is an indiscriminate game then I'll probably have more respect for her.

But if there is a video of where she discribes a game where its actually done right or describes what she she thinks is the right way to go, then I'll end up listening more to what she is trying to do. And I may end-up donating some money to the cause.

But I dont know if she can actually find anything though. I remember she ended up dissing Samus Aran in Metroid Fusion for the death animation and Other M, though I hear Other M was crap so lets not bother with it. Which is fair I guess but I still think it was a bad idea for her to use samus as a bad example of whats going on.

Man I dont know. I just want to see what she thinks is a good non sexual game (console) that does doesn't discriminate. Because seeing a female with nothing but a bra and underwear will be see as sexualize but a male in only boxers or briefs won't be. (I think, I am male though...)

7. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

iirc most of it was just for better recording gear. Apparently in her older videos, she had a pretty bad mic and camera. Looks more professional now.
    But she's doing a critique. Why would you make a video game to critique video games?

Besides, making a game that would be well-received would cost quite a lot. There are quite a few [good] games out there already with a female protag, but the problem is that they're almost all indie games.
    Women are mostly portrayed like that to play onto straight men fantasies. Even though around 40% of gamers are female now, the AAA industry is mostly catering to guys.

If guys were sexualized the same way women were in video games, you'd prolly see a bunch of homophobic comments. :V

8. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Yeah, I donated to that kickstarter and have been updated on it ever since. Gonna watch this later today when I get the chance.

"Video 11- Positive Female Characters!"
    Personally I think it's good that she is going through the different ways women are portrayed before wrapping it up with an example of games that do it right. Seems more academic in my eyes.

And the funding was for getting better equipment and getting the games themselves so they can see the characters first hand, rather than just use second hand sources for information, it wouldn't be a very good study if they didn't.

Look at some League of Legends champions or any female characters in an RPG setting. also female characters in games like Devil May Cry, Hitman, GTA ect.
    Even Maplestory gets this. Look at the comments of ANY picture of a female character posted in Basil Screens and there will be comments by guys saying "those boobs" or "dem legs".

It's honestly very very rare to see a male character portrayed as Fanservice, and is mostly only seen in JRPGS (Tidus from FFX comes to mind, Snow from FFXIII). They tend to assume that all gamers are young, straight males and that naked girls are what they want to see and that the same from guys would make them uncomfortable.

Also the gaming society itself is very anti-female too, including the history of what happened with this project involving bullying. and what about "boothbabes" at E3 and stuff. Is that really necessary? you don't see "boothdudes", all you see is sweaty nerd virgin.

And Other M was used as an example because it took a strong Female Lead like Samus (who was a rarity at the time) and turned her into a fanservicey and loose character for the intention of fanservice rather than plot.

Recently, in Dead Space 3: Ellie, a character from the second game who was a badass who could handle herself during the Necromorph outbreak and was one of the few people to survive came back in the 3rd game and played a Damsel in Distress role throughout the whole thing, and never once picked up a gun or defended herself. She just showed up as a love interest wearing a low cut top.

9. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

I'm not a particularly big fan of Anita Sarkeesian but I'll give it a watch anyways. Good god is it ever long, though -_-

10. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i've already shared my PoV about this topic with karen, but about this line, i know someone who's been sexualized for a long time, and that men don't seem to care much, do note it's just one (and probably the only example i can think of tho)

Spoiler

11. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

I was suggesting to make a game just to see what she is looking for in games and/or media. And I dont see her as someone who wants to critique video games. I see her as someone who wants to change how women are portrayed in media. If you look into the past about instances where social change was made. It was never only with critiquing. They expressed how they wanted it to look like, not how they dont want it to look like.

With this you're probably right. Kinda sucks though. But just to know, how would you go about sexualizing men in the same way that women are sexualized?

With watching the video for-real this time, since I realized that this one is new, I noticed that she is still doing the same stuff as before which I dislike. But she did mention in her next video that one of the things she was going to show is when video games turn the table on the stereotypical damsel. Honestly thats the only thing that turned me around in that video.

I don't want to be or seem to be too hateful as I 100% agree that the stereotype should be eradicated but if she's going for change I don't think she tackling it at the best angle she could. She could definitely have more people speaking, specifically another girl and a guy. so 2:1 girl:guy ratio. So that it still targets women but it's not making an enemy of the men. (stereotypically of course). Also dont focus on all the wrong doings. If I was going to break up the video, roughly with seeing it once, it would be 50% talking about all the games that use damsel in distress; 40% on history of damsel, 5% about the influences and 5% on how its not actually all games and normalizing the topic to make it not look so bad for men who are watching.

From my standpoint the structure is bad. the last 2minutes where the that last 10% happen should be scatter throughout the video and not "tacked on" at the end.

I'm saying all this because I think and want her to be a leader in this social change than someone who just makes videos to critique how women are portrayed in media.

P.S. I hope she didn't spend all of that money on just a camera and a mic. It's 160 Grand she got in donations?

Edit:
    Thanks @ShinkuDragon; for the pic. Guessing that Soul Caliber higher than 3. Yeah I can kinda see him being sexualized... even though hes old.

12. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

You should really try actually reading the Kickstarter link.

13. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

Yeah sorry. It's been a while since I watched a lot of her videos along with the annoying anti-fan ones too. I apologize for not doing my research. Just going off of what I remember and that recent video.

14. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

Most of her videos seem to garner a lot of dislikes, and a guy even made a game where the point was to punch her in the face...

15. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

After watching a few more of her stuff I prefer her older shorter stuff. They were too the point and didn't seem like she was attacking one particular item with sexism. They also had advise at the end.

@Arcana27961; I think I saw a video about that game. That was really stupid for that guy to make.... really stupid. But change or realization is always scary at first, when you are the majority being changed.

16. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

That's sexualized? >__>;

Let's take a slightly different approach. Think about feminine-appearing males and the general video game community reaction.
    Well, she is making this a 12+ video series.
    From Her Kickstarter Page

We only saw Part 1 for Damsel in Distress, so who knows if she'll add advice at the end for Part 2 if that's the last video for that trope.

The positive female characters video(s) will probably have indirect advice at least. "This female character is good and this is why she's good!"

17. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

Mhm, that's what I was telling @ShinkuDragon earlier, a lot of people were quick to judge because it seemed that she's only putting video games down and that women are being made damsels in all of them, when in actuality, she's not. There are multiple videos in this series coming up, and I had a feeling that, eventually, there would be a video talking about women in gaming done right, and it does make sense to talk about that one after going over all of the tropes involved.

It really opens your mind to notice these kinds of things when playing games, and it's honestly not supposed to make you suddenly hate video game companies for it.

Although I did disagree with the Zelda portion of the video, because I personally see her being portrayed as a lot more than just a helpful damsel, and the goal of the entirety of Ocarina of Time was not to save the girl, and never was until near the end, where the goal remained the same whether she was captured or not.

18. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Seems well informed/researched. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more female heros in games and I know my sister and girlfriend would pay for such.

19. Default Re: Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming - Damsel in Distress

Yeah, some things feel a bit misleading if you haven't played the games or at least know about them. Which is sort of funny since that's what people are really picking on ― and the "how did she spend x amount of money on this?!"

Which is another point I forgot to mention in my earlier post. If she made things quick and to the point, people would say her stuff isn't well researched or that their money was taken or some other thing. ┐(╹‿ゝ╹)┌

20. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

After finally getting chance to watch it, I am really really glad that I backed this project.

It was really interesting and well put together with real gaming examples and examples beyond gaming. It went way further than I expected in explaining the trope, how it is used and how it affects the gaming industry.

Also the fact that she is a gamer herself and sees this issues without hating the games themselves (despite being a feminist) makes me like her. She isn't out to make games look bad or belittle the industry in any way, she's just pointing out what it is like and attempting to inform people and make them think.

I'm a guy and growing up on videogames I have definitely noticed the tropes mentioned in this video, it made me reflect on my own feelings on the subject, and particularly how the rare female protagonist is usually my favorite (because I like strong characters, and female characters are usually very weak, so when one is a protoganist and therefore strong, I like them)

Really looking forward to part 2 to see how the convention is changing.