Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Default Re: My humble opinion on Nexon's path.

It's not just attacking though. Jumping, moving, basic interactions with the game that you have to do in every game, it doesn't feel right in either of those games. It's not really that easy to explain, and I've tried my best to do it, so at this point I can't really say much more than just...it feels off, and it makes the game hard to play.

I'm really not sure how games can get the core controls wrong, how does it not feel wrong to the developers? No game should be released and suffering those types of issues.

2. Neutron Male
    IGN: Kill/Nozomi
    Server: Bellocan
    Job: Hayato/Shadower
    Guild: Random
    Alliance: Random
    Farm: Never going to touch this
    New_York

Default Re: My humble opinion on Nexon's path.

I know what you mean I think jumping on the ladder in LaTale shows how badly optimized the game is it is literally animation drops and you just wind up back on the ladder somehow. Even though maple itself is not very optimized. They get the very basics down right.

3. Can of Soup Male
    IGN: LunaMimosa
    Server: El Nido
    Level: 134
    Job: OP Elf Queen
    Guild: Some no-name guild
    Alliance: Read above.

Default Re: My humble opinion on Nexon's path.

The problem with latale specifically is; literally every action you make has to reach the server before the command goes through. So your ping literally determines how responsive the game plays for you, because the server decides EVERYTHING. Since the game was developed for Korea, this ping issue was never a big problem to them because they have a GOOD network infrastructure there so they didn't bother with lag compensation. People with below 30ms ping never have a complaint, while those with 70+... well you guys know.

Ironically, this also has rendered LaTale way more secure in terms of hacking and gold buyers get caught and banned very easily there. Literally the opposite of Maple Story in both control responsiveness and security.

4. Default Re: My humble opinion on Nexon's path.

The problem isn't that it shows the player doing something right away, it's that the server believes the client. If it was transmitting "I am at 0,0 and hit jump while moving left, to catch a rope at 400,0" then the server should be checking that a jump from that spot can land on the rope.

The movement skills have made it harder for Maple to autoban on this; there's a reason hackers are all Evans. They can legitimately move to anywhere in the map at any time so the server has no way to tell good blink from bad blink. It could definitely be done, but they haven't yet, and thus hackers are all Evans using bots that hack blink to teleport them right where they want to go.

The problem with verifying everything the players do is that it makes running a server more expensive. The upside is fewer hackers. So how Nexon handles it is they only add checks once the hacks exist, instead of designing it from the start to protect itself.

for one anecdote, back in the day (like beta) there was no limit on weapon speed. A hacker could just edit their weapon to attack instantly, and spam hundreds of times a minute. The solution was to introduce a speed cap (at faster 2), and have the server disconnect anyone who attacked more frequently than that allowed. Sure, they could have been tracking how fast a player was attacking from the start, but they waited til it was a problem. After that, it was still possible to edit your weapon speed, but only up to faster 2 - any higher and you'd quickly disconnect. A more thorough check would be to keep track of what the player was equipping and what speed buffs they had, and then compare packet timings to those. But the extra effort isn't worth much because hackers don't bother speeding up their weapons anymore.

5. Default Re: My humble opinion on Nexon's path.

We can complain all we want, but there will be a majority who continue to buy NX. It's the same issue after issue. There might be a point in the future where Nexon runs into trouble. But for now, it''ll be the same issue every time.

At least they reply to tickets faster now.