1. Default Child cured of HIV by a different method

I hope that this wasn't just an anomaly and that something testable could come out of this.
    Last edited by Moonlapse; 2013-03-03 at 07:54 PM.

2. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

Hope that this is indeed a miracle and could change the future.

3. Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

While an interesting development, it doesn't show a cure so much as a preventive measure that works. The true barrier to a cure for AIDS is finding and eliminating dormant populations of the virus and they didn't manage to show that in this case.

It does present a possible way to prevent newborns from getting the disease though which is significant in itself.

4. Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

@Moonlapse; , you should know that HIV is not AIDS. :|

5. Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

Yes but by curing HIV you are also curing aids. Although it's more of a prevention rather than a cure concerning aid's specifically.

6. Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

Curing AIDS is on a completely different league than curing HIV. The title is inherently misleading.

7. Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

He's right. I committed a biology no-no, and I should have known better. :(

@Locked Ty for the correction. It must be a combination of the blasted pills I'm on and being out of school for 2 years.

8. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

Hi, I'm an idiot.
    I always thought HIV and AIDS were the same thing, if not connected with one another.
    Can someone explain why this preventative measure won't affect AIDS?

I remember learning about this crap, I just can't remember what I learned.

9. Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

HIV is the virus, AIDS is the disease. To cure AIDS you not only need to rid the body of all free HIV particles but all the dormant viruses as well. This showed that with aggressive anti-viral therapy they were able to stop HIV from forming those dormant colonies.

10. Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

HIV is a retrovirus. It converts its RNA into DNA and integrates it into the victim's genome. Like darkstars said, clearing the virus from the body because it would reman integrated with the DNA in the helper T cells, among other things. I thought the article said AIDS but I guess I didnt read it thoroughly enough.

11. Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

Article seems to suggest that efforts were directed at the detection of HIV particles, which makes me think that nothing on genomic analysis of any sort was carried out.

It's not a bad thing to publicise tbf but when the reason is unclear then there is little additional cause to celebrate. The virologists would now be worrying about suppressing the change from lysogenic to lytic cycle.

Hadriel

12. Default Re: Child cured of AIDS by a different method

Wow, so maybe now my state won't be known for obesity, but for the cure of HIV. I'm so proud of my state right now.