Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

I am one of the lucky people who lack the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme and therefore cannot metabolize alcohol at all. Now science has found a way to inflict that condition on people for 6 months at a time as "therapy". Yay me! I'm therapeutic.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1681344/a...coholics-sober

2. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

Woah awesome. Go science. And eos :D

3. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

That's really cool, it would definitely be a lot more effective than simple therapy. removing the reason they drink in the first place would definitely make them able to live without it.

4. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

That is incredible.

5. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

If it is voluntary only, I'm all for it, but if it were forced onto someone, that's too much like big brother saying "you can't drink so we are going to make it so you don't even have the option", to me.

6. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

What if certain religions mandated it as a part of their belief system as a means to protect their flock from temptation?

7. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

I doubt they'd force it on people, all said and done it's, what, an injection at the very least? they would definitely need consent for that.
    Even with this breakthrough, there would still need to be interventions, some therapy and then they would get the option to do so. 6 months of going cold turkey could destroy some people.

I think anyone that is willing to consent to the treatment deserves to get clean, because it wouldn't be an easy thing to do.

8. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

Exactly, it's already said to be a drastic treatment which means subjecting unwilling patients could cause adverse effects beyond what any consenting patient would feel. Also, this wouldn't be enough to get them off the habit once it's over so there therapy and counselling may still need to be used and there's nearly no point in making someone go if they didn't ask to be cured, destructive as their habit might be.

9. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

inb4 Westboro hating on this.

Seriously though, this is really cool. Mankind, solving alcoholism by giving vbe a disease (technically a medical condition, by my way sounds cooler).

10. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

That's pretty awesome; it's great news for a ton of people.

11. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm afraid of with this.

12. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

Well, if people are choosing that religion (not going to get into people being forced into a religion), then most of the time, they would agree with the religion's policy on alcohol. It's the leaders mandating it, sure, but only so the people don't break the rules of their own religion. If some way of preventing people from being able to kill was offered, most Catholics would use it even without the Pope ordering it.

13. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Would organized religion even have access to this stuff though?
    You'd think the state and medical laws would keep this stuff for the people who needed it, not for the people who aren't alcoholics by choice.

I'm pretty sure the idea of a religion forcing it on people is kinda moot. What other religions force medicine on people? o.o

14. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

I think at this point the hypothetical religion is the problem, not the scientific treatment method.

This seems like it could be a really great tool.

15. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

If corporations can have mandatory drug screenings and flu vaccinations I'm sure a church could find a way to get their people vaccination against alcoholism in the same way.

It would not surprise me to find some companies making this a condition of employment even, it's one step better than drug screening because it actually prevents one entire avenue of intoxication for jobs like pilots and doctors where you're not supposed to be drinking while on call anyway and can seriously endanger people by doing so.

16. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

Even if I wasn't religious, the concept of alcohol doesn't seem fun at all to me.

17. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

I agree. I doubt I will ever drink (much), if only because I know what being drunk can cause, let alone alcoholism.

18. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

Beer can be delicious. All i'm going to say.

19. Default Re: Science cures Alcoholics by giving them my affliction

They should work on the reverse of this. Make a drug so people can drink more and not get sick.

20. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

I'm more of a fruity/mixed drinker myself. Though I haven't had beer ever since I was curious enough to try some when I was like 8. But you will never see me drink more than once a month at most...

On topic, this is a pretty neat discovery. Hangovers SUCK, and this definitely gives people a reason to not drink.

Now how would that be helpful in any way?