Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

http://www.ibtimes.com/colorado-coll...-control-bills

I was sure this was satire until people actually started quoting it more.

2. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

Seems pretty reasonable to me. If you were being raped, lets face it, you wouldn't be above lying that you have a disease, or saying or doing anything that would make the attacker lose interest.
    It's both wiser and safer than fighting back.
    I don't see how you would think it is satire o.o

3. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

"Passive resistance" is better than shooting them in the face? How so?

4. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

Because not every woman has a concealed weapon even if it were legal not every woman would have a concealed weapon. And what's to stop my ex shooting me in the face then exclaim I attempted to rape her? We take her word for it?

5. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

That's why you carry a gun too!

In seriousness though, obviously there are exceptions, but statistics show that much more often, it is men doing the shooting, not the other way around. In terms of MASS shootings, I don't know that there are any women on that list period. They are more likely to use discretion with weapons, and for the ones that don't...why couldn't they obtain the weapon and kill you anyway? Whether or not something is illegal means nothing to someone who is intent on breaking the law.

6. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

Rape or near rape is traumatizing enough. How do you think shooting someone in the face will affect a person? shooting someone should be a last resort

7. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

What if the rapist has some sort of fetish for points 6 and 7?
    Why are taser guns never named on this matter?

8. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

Shooting someone is more traumatizing than being forcibly impregnated by some huge smelly drug addict? wat

Tasers would work in most instances, too. Not all, but most.

9. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

This isn't fiction, this is real life. How would killing a person affect you?
    And I didn't say that it was MORE traumatizing than being raped. Both of these things would likely affect you for life, and hence why accepting it and submitting to the rape and "shooting them in the face" as you so eloquently put it are both extreme reactions. So yes I think that passive resistance is the safest way to go, both physically and mentally.

10. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

Wife kills husband 22,000,000 results

For gods sake a wife ran over her husband for voting for Obama. Not to say women are worse/prone to doing such. This isn't meant to be sexist however, your suggestion comes with massive repercussions of people getting away with murder essentially.

11. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

I see.

Yes, this is real life. And in real life, people get raped. And you are basically saying, you would rather get raped than shoot some scumbag who doesn't deserve to live anyway.

I see where you are coming from on that, but again, that's not the point of this topic. The point is, instead of naming any number of alternatives where the woman DOESN'T get raped, all of them still involve her getting, quite literally, screwed. Why not mention mace? Why not mention a taser? Why not mention simply kicking him in the balls? It's obvious how I feel about guns on this issue, but what about those options?

12. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

So many words, so few facts.

Let the University of Colorado present the following numbers:

1) How many cases of rape or attempted rape have occurred on campus in the past, say, 20 years?
    2) In how many such cases was rape averted by the intended victim carrying a gun?
    3) In how many such cases was the victim able to avoid being raped through other means?
    4) In how many such cases was resistance impossible due to the assailant having a gun?
    5) How many gun-related accidental injuries or deaths have occurred on campus during this time? (This includes both cases of people being careless with their guns, and people shooting intentionally at an innocent person, suspecting them of ill intent)

Once we have these numbers, we can discuss a little more rationally whether allowing guns on campus is a good or bad thing.

BTW, I would also include cases of robbery and other forms of assault a person might want to protect themselves against.

Also, is tear gas ("Mace") considered a firearm? If so, why? And if not, why aren't the women encouraged to carry that instead of a gun? (Or a taser, as mentioned above).

13. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

That's funny, because I said that accepting and submitting to the rape is an extreme reaction. why do you consider passive resistance as letting yourself get raped?

Just because you have guns doesn't mean they are the magical solution to all problems.
    You aren't considering a lot of things here. you are seeing this as simple "I'm being raped, i'll shoot my attacker" without considering the aftereffects or possibilites of what might happen.

What if you pulled the gun, shot, and MISSED? do you think that you will get out of the situation alive if the attacker knows their life is at risk?

14. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

I actually just took a level 2 concealed weaponry class last Sunday (7 hours and boring as pomegranate, by the way), so I can actually answer that! Firearm only applies to what you typically think of as guns, but concealed "deadly" weapons include knives, brass knuckles, guns, anything designed specifically for doing fatal or permanent injury. Mace and taser do not fall under that category, at least not in this state, don't know about other states.

Unless you are using a single action revolver, you get more than one conseq shot, you know. And if you use a lower caliber weapon, it not only probably won't kill them unless you are a VERY good shot (yet will still stop them), it also won't penetrate them and hit someone behind them. Hitting someone with a weapon at under 10 feet (which is now the standard that the FBI trains at, by the way, since almost all gunfights occur at that range), is incredibly easy. Further than that, and you have time to get away or get behind something/call for help. Closer, and he's dead, and he will hesitate to get closer unless he's a desperate drug addict. I saw a stat this morning on how many times a gun is drawn in ratio with how many times it is actually shot in cases like this, and it's pretty damn low; just the threat is enough to scare people away.

15. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

Based on the context I believe they did this under the circumstance that they are bent over and about to be penetrated. Which would include not having access to your purse, which is more than likely is holding the aforementioned items.

Maybe he caught you off guard and took the bag from your posession to throw it somewhere else, anticipating it as a threat in one method or another. Point is your the stance isn't about "HEY BETTER ALTERNATIVES INCLUDE TAKING THE GUYS LIFE", which by the way, I can almost gurrantee most women, or rather people, could *not do simply off instinct. That's a heavy thing to carry when you're responsible for that. Although tazers and mace is acceptable, you have to remember there are "doses" allowable, and to be honest I'm not sure how effective they are.

Again based on the context of the suggestions, I think this is your last alternative if the aforementioned did not work for whatever reason.

16. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

It doesn't have to be in the purse. My dad's 40 is small enough to easily be hidden directly on your person, but when I watch him fire it from an angle it looks like a miniature flamethrower the blast is so strong. It could easily knock down a very large man; with a hollow point, it could blow off half his head. Only problem with semi automatics is apparently they don't fire if something is pressed against the muzzle usually, which might be an issue at that kind of close range. There are many others that are very small, though, some would even fit in a pocket or a shoe. And again, the same applies to mace and a taser.

17. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

This is all irrelevant. This is under the assumption that you're in the red zone, clearly, therefore it doesn't matter if she had it or not, the suggestions are last resorts. Even then it's pretty unreasonable for you to assume that a women is going to randomly have mace/tazer in her shoe (which more than likely is flipflops/heels/pumps, aka unhiddable), and most womens jeans pocket's barely can fit anything but a receipt. This is all under the assumption this is an average girl who buys most of her clothes at the mall and not sears.

But even then that's not even worth debating because your points are completely moot. What happens when you're bent over with the sound of a zipper unzipping, cus I assure you, if any aformentioned items were available, you wouldn't be in that position to begin with, now would you?

18. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

Of course not, and that was my point; if they had a real form of protection and not "maybe if you try to gross him out he will leave", they wouldn't be in the situation to begin with. That's why the article is retarded, it offers no real form of fixing the problem before it starts.

19. Default Re: The University of Colorado tells women to use bodily fluids to hold off rapists

But that point doesn't make sense in terms of context of this article. Not everyone has access to that, or feels it necessary to obtain such protection until it actually happens, legal or not, this would be the case. To be in a world where we have to carry hidden blades like assassin creed multiplayer to make sure bad things don't happen to us, is not only a gross exageration of your paranoia, but completely unnecessary. Yes bad things happen in life, but guns don't offer protection but fear of retiliation which in my opinion, leads to even more paranoia and thinner ice.

Again all irrelevant because mace and tazers would be the first reaction, and people would probably choose over guns anyway as they don't want a death on their conscious. Sometimes, for whatever reason, circumstance, malfunction, human error, they aren't gurranteed protection, writing an article telling all women that the public is full of rapists ready to pounce you any moment is unreasonable.

20. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

You guys both have points, however, every situation is going to be different.
    It's impossible to just have one clear solution to this issue.

While I'm at it, keep in mind that the victims aren't always female, either...nor are the rapists always male.