Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

I'll keep that in mind. So far I've only had one bad match and it was mainly due to 2 guys leaving and one guy spending 100% of his time in the jungle and not helping at all.

2. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Was he playing Shyvana?

3. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

The goal of the game isn't to win, it's to make sure the enemy doesn't. These are two completely different philosophies. I'll explain in terms you might not understand until you have more experience with the game, but are good to keep in mind nonetheless:

Laning: Your goal is to make sure the enemy laner doesn't snowball. Most of the time you do this by making them unable to farm creeps, and there are 128903719287 different ways to do this.
    Teamfights: Your goal is to not die, or at the very least die less than the other team. If you die you are useless. You do this by doing your champion's job in a fight--kill the enemy, make sure the enemy carry can't do damage, take all the damage so your carry doesn't, make it easier for your carry to do damage, etc.

If you play a game thinking "I need this many kills so I can buy this item and kill everything", your main motivation will be greed, you will make stupid aggressive plays, and you have a higher chance of screwing up and dying. If you think, "I need to make sure this Katarina can't farm/roam so she doesn't get these items and kill everyone", you will eventually be stronger than that Katarina if you do your job right, and end up killing everything in the end anyway. Even if you don't succeed 100%, you probably played smarter and cut your losses.

4. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Keep this in mind for now, I suppose.

Just saying this mindset doesn't work when you hop into ranked, like, what, half a year from now.

5. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

I'm still pretty new to the game and mainly play beginner bots. Still learning the names of most of the champions, so I have no clue who that is. The dude i was talking about was some blue champions that somewhat resembled a rhino.

Can I ask what you mean by snowball? Still trying to get used to some of the lingo, sorry!

6. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Oh Shyvana is the dragon-lady. The reason I said that is because she's one of the iconic farm junglers and even in pro games (something she hasn't seen much of since the end of season 2, RIP) you would see Shyvana barely gank and instead be farming her jungle, the enemy jungle, and any empty lanes.
    I'm not 100% sure who you're talking about still but it's probably Alistar. He's a man-cow.

7. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Probably Alistar.

To snowball is when you start getting a lot of kills, which means you can buy stronger items to get even more kills, which means even stronger items, etc. Like a snowball, when you roll it down a snowy hill, it keeps getting bigger and becomes pretty much unstoppable and scary.

Always remember, if you're dead, you can't use abilities. So, stay alive.

8. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Can you explain?

9. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

You can't rely on on your own lane not snowballing. That'll win like what, 50% of your games. Which means you'll stay at the same elo.

You have to have the mindset that "I know this matchup and I know that I will win this matchup. And then I'll gank other lanes and make sure my own lanes snowball too, so we're practically guaranteed to win."

But don't worry about that now. Just worry about not dying, lolol.

10. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Sometimes you have to be willing to die for your team. Either so you can win team fights or for towers/inhibs. It's hard to say when it's worth it, but sometimes it is.

Oh and if you play a tanky support, you will be dying to protect your carry. A lot

11. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Okay. You died for your team, which resulted in the rest of your team killing the rest of theirs, which means their team came out with a disadvantage, which means that you won the fight. I didn't mean to give a cookie cutter example, just an example.

That doesn't make what I said wrong. With my laning example, you're not relying on anything--to use more general terms, your goal is to play the lane correctly, to give your opponent as little advantage as possible over you, if any at all. If you are in a matchup that you can't not lose, then you play in a way that cuts your losses and makes you productive elsewhere, as opposed to trying to win the lane in the same matchup; you'll probably end up feeding if you do this.

Either way, I was giving examples to make the idea more concrete. The philosophy of making sure the enemy doesn't win applies to literally everything you or your team does. Teams level 1 invade Amumu because he won't be able to do much for some time without his blue. You don't trade with a Draven in lane because he will outtrade you and end up killing you in 45 seconds. You take Dragon after a successful fight at bottom because, first of all, it's probably free gold, but if you don't it opens up the possibility of the enemy taking it some time in the future. You gank lanes for several reasons: It can deny the enemy laner an escape, it can deny them gold and exp if you kill them, and at the very least it makes someone spend money on wards for safety.

Winning is often a result of the enemy not winning. When you have taken away an opponent's advantage, you've established one of your own. If you play so that the enemy doesn't win, you're still working towards the same result of winning, or that of a carry being snowballed, or whatever other advantage there is, but it's a much more rational thought process.

tl;dr Don't take what I said as a cookie cutter playstyle.

12. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

The final step in any plan is adapt. Then your plan can never go wrong :P