Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Talking Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

Let's try this again.

I know there are at least a couple of people here who are playing KoL, so I'm making this thread where we can share what we did today. I at least hope that people play regularly so we can keep this thread in an interesting direction.

Share speed tips and strategies, as well as other interesting things!

----------

Okay, so I finally started a Jarlsberg run today. My last run was a Bugbear Invasion run which I was really lazy in terms of finishing. It ended up being 49/1299, because I had taken a break from KoL due to school and missed out on playing it until recently. 1299 is pretty bad for me, since I've done a few sub-1000 runs now, but whatever.

The level 10 revamp came today and hit me in the face when I planned on doing some farming before jumping into Jarlsberg.

Giant's Castle revamp

It looks pretty good. You have to make it through the three floors of the castle to get to the Hole in the Sky now, and I finished the first two floors just experimenting. It's pretty cool because they added a few hilarious new monsters and items.

Damn, Jarlsberg has some low turngen. He gets full at 10, overdrunk at 10, and doesn't really have access to spleen unless you take the astral energy drinks (which.. you might as well). Here's how I ended a day 1 of a Hardcore:

2. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

I think i've gone on a slight Hiatus from KoL again. I do it quite a lot.

I started the Jarlsberg Path, played one day and then I just kept forgetting to go on it D:

3. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

Jarlsberg is enough that you can probably play for like, half an hour, and still play well. You can do it!

4. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Yeah, I think the main reason I haven't been doing it is because of all the daily events in Maplestory at the moment, with the everyday happytime, attendance check, RLH etc etc. The idea of doing daily stuff in KoL on top of that made me go "Urgh".

Now that those events are over and i'm just waiting for Kanna I will probably get back into it now.

Interested in the level 10 quest revamp, kinda worried though that it is going to make my runs even longer, I was used to the old quest :(
    My ID is #1036203 if you wanna check out my character :P

Currently have 6/8 pieces of the Raiments of The Final Boss. What an awesome outfit, the fact that it doesn't require any stats makes it a perfect thing for the start of a run.

EDIT:
    Well this is awkward.

5. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

Interesting. Perhaps peer support is what I need to actually finish my first hardcore run so I'll keep you all updated. Like Razmos I've been engrossed in Maple and making as much $$$ as possible- unlike Razmos the farming is still on-going.

Edit: It went pretty smoothly. I finally found the gear to go tackle the top of the Icy Peak so I'll check that out first, add Sakata!
    Last edited by Curtiss; 2013-02-20 at 05:00 AM.

6. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

HC AoJ day 2:
    I'm level 7! Woohoo!

This is a big deal because now I can make sublime stew, which is a step up from consummate meatloaf. Still can't make any good+ booze, but I'm working on it... really slowly.
    Have I mentioned that the progression is slow? I didn't even get 100 turns in today (just 98), and that may be because of food swing. But still.

This is torture for someone who's had it easy on the turngen. Even in hardcore runs I had epic-level peppermint patties to keep me going. But I love this.

I should mention that after Day 2, I still have basically no HP, lol. Fun times.

7. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

What skill paths are you taking?

8. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

My skill build, for anyone wondering or just wanting to laugh at how spread out it is.

I took Summon Fruit and Freeze at level 1 because I was aiming for the Chocolatesphere (+noncombat). Turns out that that was the wrong way to go on a 0-skill Hardcore ascension, because I need cold, hard turngen.

Bake, Potato, Meat, Grill, Boil and Vegetable are specifically for getting food. I took the Hippotatomous for the +stat progression, but was really torn on getting that, or Never Late for Dinner (+10 rollover and +initiative), or Food Coma (10 free rests + rests restore all MP).

I'm getting Most Important Meal (+adv +substat on first food eaten per day) in level 8, because that apparently scales with food size. And I need as much turngen and stats as I can get if this is going to be bearable in Hardcore.

9. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

Darn it, you guys make me want to find a way to ascend quickly so I can try this out but I'm not even done with the level 11 quest yet. D:

10. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

Heh. My advice is take it slow and learn the quests. AoJ is fun, but not worth just flying through the quests. Especially since you'll need to do them again as Jarlsberg, with less turns at your disposal.

Low-skill HC Avatar of Jarlsberg planning (may be useful for SC too)

11. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

HC AoJ day 3:
    I'm level 8.5! Yaaaaay.

It was quite a bit of a stretch to get to level 8 in the first place. I had to use an energy drink (my third one, so I'm out of those), fill up my drunkenness to the cap of 9, and eat 4 fullness' worth of food. But it was all so, so worth it, because I got The Most Important Meal. And man is it an awesome skill~~

For the price of 6 fullness, sublime stew normally gives ~23-26 adventures and ~40-50 mysticality substats (taken from Wiki). I had one with Most Important Meal of the Day, and I got 41 adventures and ~150 mysticality substats.

It's freaking awesome.

I also played more than 100 turns today, which makes me really happy. I'm on my way to finishing this ascension!~

I decided I would skip getting the steel liver this run, because without any +item drop it would be hell to collect bus passes and imp airs. Maybe when I ascend and have more skills at hand, I'll be able to stray farther away from just doing the main quests. Even right now, it's mostly turn-burning because I don't have many modifiers to play with.

Skill build

12. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

Placeholder for HC AoJ day 4, but this is the best stew ever.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, THE HEADER.

Last edited by Jedward; 2013-02-22 at 11:48 AM.

13. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Oh lordy that stew.

14. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

Okay. HC AoJ Day 4! For some reason I thought this was already day 5, but whatever.

I can feel it slowing down! Slooooooooowwwwwwwwwww!

I have learned to appreciate +init%. I can reliably survive in the Bedroom at level 8, which is new to me. I unlocked the Ballroom, finished everything up to the Cyrpt and the first part of the McLargeHuge quest, and got my pirate fledges (as shown below). I feel good about this run.. it should finish in the next 4 days!~

I figured out my skill build for the rest of the run.

Skill build

Level 10, 11: Unlock Fry for good-quality 3 drunkenness booze.
    Level 12: Unlock Chocolatesphere specifically for use with Lobsterfrogmen.
    Level 13: Unlock Cream for the staff which jiggles to act as an olfaction use, for backfarming tower items and such.

Looking forward to see what you guys are doing. :)

15. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

HC AoJ Day 6: Getting closer and closer!

I did the rest of the level 8 quest today, as well as most of the level 9 quest (lighted Twin Peak and Oil Peak). I figure I'm going to start skipping quests to leave them until flyering time, so I don't need to queue up the GMoB.

Other than that, nothing too exciting. I realized that getting Dough only lets me make enough booze to fill me up for the day, not enough to make a nightcap or a staff. I'll have to get Fry soon to fix that!
    Last edited by Jedward; 2013-02-25 at 09:15 PM.

16. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

I play KoL on and off, haven't been doing much as of late. Finished a series of hamster runs with my Clan last week, so I have a hamster now.

17. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

Day 7, going into Day 8! This is exciting. And long.

This is the day where I didn't level. :(

I unlocked the Pyramid, the Hidden City and the Wine Cellar today. I also finished the Palindome, because I don't like having to go back through Cobb's Knob and then Whitey's Grove. Besides that, nothing else really. I had some pomegranatety luck getting a drum machine in the Oasis and spent a fair amount of turns doing that. Then again, I now am just powerleveling to level 12.

Goal for today: I want to start the War and finish my quests while flyering. Hoping to ascend back by Wednesday!

18. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

Days 8 and 9: where I just want to finish already.

Day 8

Day 9

Day 8 I started the War, and Day 9 I finished it.

The lobsterfrogmen definitely gave me the worst trouble. At the end I still needed to powerlevel a little bit, so I got what I needed from the Hole in the Sky and that was enough to push me to level 13.

I just need one more day to finish this ascension. Hopefully.

19. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

:)

20. Default Re: Kingdom of Loathing: How was your day?

New build time, with +2 skills!

Level 1: Bake, Potato, Hippotatomous, Meat Product, Boil
    Level 2: Vegetable
    Level 3: Grill
    Level 4: Most Important Meal
    Level 5: Never Late for Dinner
    Level 6: Fruit
    Level 7: Freeze
    Level 8: Blend
    Level 9: Cream
    Level 10: Egg
    Level 11: Dough
    Level 12: Egg Man
    Level 13: Best Served Cold

Focus on turngen, started eating sublime stew at level 4 (Day 1). Day 3 brought me to level 8 and let me start drinking 4-potency booze. I didn't get access to 3-potency good-quality booze until level 11, but it was worth it to have Blend, which is a multi-turn stun in combat. By level 12 it doesn't matter what skills you get, so I took the Egg Man for extra items and Best Served Cold at level 13 for a little extra help fighting the boss.

Right now I'm five days into my second run and I'm currently level 11. I'm hoping to finish in two days.