Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber

1. Default Re: Google Fiber

dafuq. im streaming HDTV, downloading torrents and stuff perfectly fine with a 200mbps connection. plus all that bandwidth is pointless if the other server doesn't support the same speed.

2. Default Re: Google Fiber

That is partially inaccurate, since it still means you have the availability to hit multiple servers at the maximum per connection speed they'll permit you without congesting yourself, and with the right tools you can exceed the per connection speed caps via multipart transfer to capitalize more fully on that degree of bandwidth. When you apply it to a household with several people it's a godsend because it means nearly everyone can do almost anything they want with minimal impact to everyone else as long as the local network is sufficient to handle that sort of traffic too and isn't a bottleneck to the actual speed.

In my house for example it's not uncommon for HD netflix and/or Amazon prime streaming in three rooms simultaneously while torrents are going and people are gaming.

The latency alone makes it worth it for some things.

3. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Re: Google Fiber

4. Default Re: Google Fiber

I'm only getting around 8Mbps download speed from my current provider, sometimes less. However when I use Speed Test it seems to think I have close to 20Mbps even though our current plan won't let us over 10Mbps.

Man though, I'd sure like that here. We don't even have FIOS and the other packages are too expensive and I can't convince the rest of my family to change over to a better speed; sometimes my net drops from fairly good to almost nothing at random times. ._.

Google Fiber is overkill but at that price it's a must have.

5. Default Re: Google Fiber

Internet, I'm disappoint.

6. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Google Fiber

How long have you held it? 1150 seems ridiculous even if the contract was only 6 months old

7. Donator Male
    IGN: LnFearNFaith
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 20x
    Job: Loladin/LolDrK
    Guild: Irresistible
    Farm: Amerish
    New_York

Default Re: Google Fiber

Waiting for FIOS to come to my area

8. Default Re: Google Fiber

Since August of 2011.

9. Default Re: Google Fiber

Do you have any recourse based on (falsely) advertised speeds?

Edit: Not the post I was trying to quote but close enough.

10. Default Re: Google Fiber

When they did advertise business class would be any better? They in fact specifically avoid any agreement to provide any specific level of service, including uptime, in their business class contracts.

11. Default Re: Google Fiber

Sure there are. Businesses. Even end-users could use it legitimately, actually! Imagine if you will, a house full of people, each watching different shows/movies off of a netflix-like streaming service. 20 different HQ video streams at once would need that much bandwidth!

12. Default Re: Google Fiber

You would only need this ping for games outside of your region and illegal downloading, meh.

13. Default Re: Google Fiber

I love how everyone is like "oh that's too much I don't need that!" yet the price for it is not only competitive to current providers, in fact matches it. It's like saying you won't need a pack of 600 batteries yet it's the same price as the 64 bundle set.

Do you understand how ridiculous you all sound?

14. Default Re: Google Fiber

I think you're assuming too much from how little everyone has said.

If given the option, I would absolutely use google fiber because it IS cheaper than my current service and over 100 times the speed. As I stated, however, I simply have no real NEED for it.

15. Default Re: Google Fiber

I could imagine that empress is actually not floating around the map but doing a ballet, it's just none of our connections are fast enough to see all the frames so it looks like it's floating.

Then this came along, where we learn her sorrows in interpret dance, no wonder it glitched so much!

16. Default Re: Google Fiber

Enough with the "You'd only need this if you're doing something illegal" argument. All forms of media will eventually use digital download as their primary means of distribution, so to say that you wouldn't need a connection thats uncapped with a decent speed is laughable. Its extremely possible to make perfectly legal use of this technology.

I read somewhere that most major ISPs here in the United States are operating close to 90%~ profit margins. It makes me sick. :/ They CAN deploy these faster technologies, they're simply choosing not to because traditional copper is far less expensive than full-on fiber deployment. They'd rather laugh their way to the bank indefinitely.

17. Default Re: Google Fiber

Didn't they have a 10mb plan that was free for 3 years or something crazy like that? That sounds like a good start to global internet for everyone.

In other news;