Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: False bannings galore.

It's defiantly been an odd past couple days, but to answer some questions here's the post I wrote to BasilMarket when a thread was made yesterday.

It was expected to get an official response from Hime as I was talking to her throughout the day about this, although besides what has been said, there's still room for error.
    The following is a bit of a mix of logical guesses and knowing how certain matters work, although is likely accurate.

In regard to the Leveling exploit, NxA/NxK took a manual pull of logs from their game databases to determine which players were seen to have abused the exploit. The exploit itself was the lack of a check to not allow players into the first Maple Island map. When a player creates a beginner and skips Lith Harbor there is a function that automatically let's them reach Level 7. Players found a way to re-enter this map and repeat the function which was unintended.

A query can then be retrieved from their databases. Any player who was seen to have interacted with the function, NPCs, etc would then be brought up and be considered to be banned. The only issue with this is that from time to time there can be issues with information sent between a player's client and the server. While the function was only triggered once when creating a new character, it has the potential of accidentally appearing as more (or even any amount). I have noticed this while working on application development with Mapler.me as on multiple times a quest has appeared to be completed more then once, sometimes random (33,51,11, etc) is there was anything interrupting the server or connection.

I'm a bit disappointed to see the team go by fact merely based on logs an not take into account the person himself that was banned. Anything coded or technology has the potential of malfunctioning or not being accurate at some point, this is a given, although the fact that without reasonable doubt that the case would not be reconsidered regardless of my relation with the community is saddening.

If anyone would like a full account of what occurred please PM me as it's private.

Thanks all. :)

2. Default Re: False bannings galore.

What other reasons to be at that map, interacting with said NPC other than for an exploit? While it is fun to visit old places, it makes little sense to fiddle around in a starter area.
    If they just up and banned any IGN that entered the map from date X to date Y, then ok, that's bad, but I'd guess they have more meat on the bone than that.

3. Default Re: False bannings galore.

Nexon hasn't released what criteria they blocked players over, so at the time being there is no assumption if they based it off the function discussed above, interactions with NPCs, or what. :( Mot really what else to say, the whole situtation has been scary for me to deal with.

4. Default Re: False bannings galore.

Hmm, I've visited the old Maple Island on my alts before (when they first gave the free telerocks), without knowing about the exploit.

So, yeah, just visiting the map was probably not considered to be "bannable".

If they are, indeed, just considering logs and such, wouldn't they be able to at least have some data on the character that did the exploit? As in... their starting level at some point in time and then their level again later? Just using NPC triggering and whatnot seems so... (uh oh) Nexon-ish.

5. Default Re: False bannings galore.

Brings to mind the 'unknown error' that pops up when you accidentally accept a quest more than once. A safe DB transaction wouldn't necessarily reset the quest completion counter to 1 after those.

It's pretty clear that Nexon's GMs haven't got an expert familiarity with the database, they just have to trust whoever is programming the ban to do it right. Nothing wrong with that; it's not their job after all. But it makes it harder to dispute stuff.

Character creation exploits have not historically been handled with great sensitivity - remember the time they deleted any character that had obtained the Empress's Might over a certain range of dates to combat fake Cygnus rebirths, and got the range wrong?

6. Default Re: False bannings galore.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they're referring to when they say "suspicious activities".

7. Default Re: False bannings galore.

You're half right. However, you didn't abuse this exploit a "few times" for "testing". You did very deliberately, to the result of over a hundred levels. And if you think we can't see that...

We gave you a tremendous reasonable doubt. We re-investigated this by having a team member spend a couple hours meticulously reviewing your account. The result was you actually abused the exploit more than we had initially thought, and more than what you told us when you asked us to look into it. If anything, as a former Volunteer, you should be held to a higher standard because you are a role model to the community...but we actually didn't give you any special treatment one way or the other. Just like anybody else, when you abuse an exploit, you have to deal with the consequences.

8. Default Re: False bannings galore.

That must have been precious man-hours, given your workload. Doubt anyone would feel happy about the outcome.

Hadriel

9. Default Re: False bannings galore.

When I originally discussed the topic with Hime when the event first occurred, I gave her what I felt was indeed exactly what happened, without error. I know that everything can and has been tracked and that several hours were spent trying to remedy the issue which I greatly appreciate, although based on the facts shown from what was logged and then found, I still feel like this has been incorrect.

To everyone I've spoken to, I've stated that as a former Volunteer I really wouldn't abuse such a glitch and still feel wronged.. By someone who at the same time was replying to threads warning numerous players to avoid this, I would feel horrible at myself and to the community if I then turned around and went ahead with it. Well aware of the game's dynamics, creating a character from this would not be of any value to me nor provide any incentive. Still have no recollection of the statements you've given as well :(

All in all, this entire ordeal has been tough to deal with and if there is firm facts that state that I was involved then I guess there is nothing that can be said. While I still respect the time and effort that many of your staff have given to try to help assist this situation, I'd like as much as everyone else throughout the community for this to be resolved.

I still give my complete respect to you, Hime, and the amazing staff I've worked with over the years because you are an amazing company, although in a time like this I feel like a second chance should be given if you feel I was infact participating in behavior regarding the exploit.

Thank you for responding to this thread, and I understand the drama that this has caused. From it however, I wish that some of the changes that were discussed in the petition written by Southperry to be considered to prevent further issues for players.

Thanks. :)

11. Default Re: False bannings galore.

@Girasol;

Was I suppose to be threatened by GMKanison that my account was going to be permanently deleted?
    I provided evidence and was still ignored.
    GMSkelorm placed me on the filter list and all the tickets will be auto closed no matter if I open a new one.

12. Default Re: False bannings galore.

I really do not want to get into a back-and-forth on this. Do you guys think Tyler should get a free pass on abusing an exploit just because he's been a Volunteer in the past? There's no denying he's done some good work in the past, but does that really entitle him to get away with cheating?

I'm still not entirely sure what he's trying to say, either. Is he outright denying he abused the glitch? Because I looked at the raw data, too...there's no denying it. Or is he saying it doesn't matter?

13. Default Re: False bannings galore.

You are able to say that people that abused this level-up exploit were rightfully permanently banned.

Are you able to provide any explanation for many of the bans in this thread? I would be happy for acknowledgement one way or the other -- "we believe these permanent/30 day bans are justified" or "we are not entirely sure; the issue is being investigated" would be plenty to satisfy my curiosity, although I am sure many people would appreciate a more elaborate response (if possible).

I have a friend who does not frequent Southperry -- they were recording when they were banned. Even with video proof of not using illegal progams, their ban appeal was denied. I am just curious as to the reasoning behind these bans.

14. Default Re: False bannings galore.

@Girasol;

I open a ticket the other day and was auto closed with out a response.

15. Default Re: False bannings galore.

To be quite frank yes. You guys gave a free pass to the leader of maple radio, frankly who did 10x more damage than tyler could have done with such an irrelevant exploit. To be honest, yes, it's against the rules, but his contributions are a lot more to show for some cheap ass gimmick. I don't agree with his actions and may scold him later because he's part of an organization we made that doesn't approve of this, but I honestly feel as though the punishment is way to severe.

Again this is my opinion, typically I go for the "black vs white" perspective to keep things balanced, but when you give people who have done considerably worse damage a jail out of free, and I say that in confidence with the hacker's on questionable websites bragging about this, then I think it's indefinitely something to consider. I do understand your opinion on the fact he should be held more accountable, but he's done more than any other user in the game, I think that should hold some credibility. 30 days, to me, would be more adequate, to set an example, but not destroy his integrity.

16. Default Re: False bannings galore.

That would depend on the outcome of his actions. As KhainiWest said a 30 day ban would have been enough to make a point that glitch abusing is stupid and abusing this glitch in particular is doubly stupid and slamming a permanent banhammer on something like this only invites more questions later on because people can see that other known hackers are not banned.

17. Default Re: False bannings galore.

A few months worth of a ban and a promise from him to fade back into the shadows instead of acting like a pseudo Nexon official would be more than enough, given his past.
    Looking at the many dupers and exploiters that sell stuff for real money that walk away free every single day, this exploit looks pretty damn tame.

18. Default Re: False bannings galore.

They do have a point about the punishment not being commensurate with the crime.

• Delete the characters the abuse was done on and call it good.
    • Temp ban for extra emphasis if you feel the need.

Those are reasonable measures, but considering the number of hackers who managed to wreck the entire game economy, multiple times on multiple servers, most of whom got off with nothing more than having items they no longer had deleted and keeping all their ill gotten gains... It's really kind of a mockery of justice to the average Mapler's sensibilities that this is what triggers mass permaban, when it had no way to impact anyone.

Judicious use of forgiveness is the administrative carrot to their stick.

Granted I'm not inherently prone to mercy. This is just my grudging admission of what would constitute "fair" based on precedent.

19. Default Re: False bannings galore.

@Tyler; Just to clear up what Girasol said; Bottom line. Did you or did you not abuse this glitch?

20. Default Re: False bannings galore.

I won't argue with you but I will just state my opinion. There are much worse hacks out there, there are much worse abusers. If you're going to ban him for something like this then by all means do it. But, as stated before there is worse things that happened.

Speaking from experience here I've been falsely accused and banned on my account. Back in 2006-2007 I was training in the Sleepywood dungeon with a few friends. Then without any warning all of us disconnected from the game. To all of our dismay we were all banned. We did nothing wrong. We waited for our bans to be lifted and finally we could play again. About a year or so later I sent a ticket begging for my account to at least be placed back on the rankings as I did nothing wrong. After THREE YEARS of patiently waiting I was told I was a hacker and I would no longer be placed back on the rankings. I've tried countless times but I have NEVER been placed back, not even thought to be placed back on them. Now my appeal is just turned down without any hesitation. Ever since that false ban my account has been accused as being a hacker. My friends (who have quit now) were also seen as hackers. Nexon Am's false autoban or bad GM team banned me that day and I've always been held accountable for it. Even though I try my damn hardest to play by the rules. I even tell my guild: "If I can make 100 of you not hack or use hacks to your advantage, or even get personal gain from hackers then I did my job as a guild leader." I feel for all of the people in this thread who were falsely banned because I've been through it too. It was only 30 days but ever since then I have been called a hacker among other things because of a stupid auto ban or bad GM banned me. I support any petition to show evidence to those banned. If you at Nexon can get someone to show me substantial believable evidence of a ban back from 2006-2007 then by all means please PM me and show me this. If no one at Nexon can prove my ban was AT ALL justified, or until I'm put back on the rankings, my maple legacy and place on the rankings will be forever scorned by the fault of Nexon.