Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Harrisonized

That's because the average person so acquaints themselves with pencil in fear of a mistake that when forced to use a pen, they're afraid of making mistakes, which in turn will cause them to make more mistakes than when they were using a pencil, hence the working harder.
    Same. I hate the rolling ball ones that my father uses. They smell really bad (cuz he takes the free ones from the hotels), half of them dry up, and they smear.

I'll say that the biggest problem I have with any writing utility is the smearing, and this happens 75% of the time I use a pencil, and within two weeks. Within two months, 95% of the notes I write are smeared.
    You remind me of my sister, who loves the smell of new books at Borders or Barnes and Nobles.
    They suck bad. They're even worse than the hotel pens and that's pretty bad. Might as well use a pencil.
    My work is neater than the average person-in-my-class's. Even with some cross-outs, as long as you organize your calculations are organized, it looks neat.
    Haha, I collect fountain pens too, but I haven't spent nearly as much. =/
    You don't scribble it out. You cross it out, in an orderly fashion, like, maybe one or two lines through it. That way, you know it's crossed-out, but you can still see it. I organized my steps from top to bottom, so crossing out one line wouldn't make much of a difference in the "neatness".

White out is horrible indeed. I hate the smell of that stuff, and the tape can be easily peeled off. Just crossing it out is more efficient. In fact, if I time myself, I am actually faster on homework with a pen than a pencil because should I make my mistake (which above, I mentioned that I did so more often with a pencil because of the mindset that any mistake is correctable), I don't have to pick up an eraser, erase the mistake, put down the eraser, then pick up my pencil and continue to write. I can just cross it out and continue.
    LoL. I haven't used cursive since sixth grade. The only cursive I use is for my signature.
    Not in Pre-Calc, where pretty much all the calculations are simple. Actually, even in a complex problem (which I've had a few), it's not as bad as you think, because of the way I organize my work. Yes, I know in higher-than-highschool-math, I will be doing those kinds of calculations, but then again, as I said, by using a separate row for every calculation and then continuing with another column, I can just cross out one row should I screw up and continue below it. If I happen to screw up in between, easy, start over with a different sheet of paper. Usually, I have a scratch paper anyways.
    Again, I organize my steps in such a way that crossing it out would not make the paper look ugly. O_o

Also, I don't make arbitrary marks at all.

Pencil always smears in the end, no matter whether or not they smear initially. If I use a pencil, (and I'm very anal about this), I will SELECT a pencil that doesn't smear to anything but a high degree of sweat (and I don't sweat much). However, even with these pencils, when in my binder for one or two months, usually, a strange phenomenon occurs. I notice the graphite becomes migratory or reproductive or what not and spreads itself across the paper and I pretty much can't recognize it anymore. =/

Also, while you say good pens can be stolen too, they're stolen less often than good pencils. No idea why.
    Aren't those the Pilot pens that say "Doesn't leak in flight" on the side of them? Because if so, I have a few of them and they don't leak at all.
    Who said you had to write cursive when you write in pen? O_o
    You obviously haven't used a good pen. Like pencils, there's crappy pens that smear and good ones that don't.
    What the hell?
    Last edited by Harrisonized; 2008-12-05 at 12:32 AM.

2. Default

That's really weird that she is forcing you guys to use pencil. o.o Usually the teachers have to force students to use pen to do math lol. I agree with you in that I don't see any benefits of using pencil. I have rarely picked up a pencil in the past few years for doing coursework, and I took several calculus and math electives. The smearing and lead breaking in itself is annoying, not to mention it's just faster/safer to cross out mistakes with one clean line (and you can still see what you had written later should you require it).

3. Default

There's a code on the pencil telling you how dark/light it is. Its not too bad using pencil. In certain exams, eg our Maths competition, we need a 2B pencil to write our answer with.

Doing work with pencil isnt as bad as it sounds to be.

4. Default

He's the dumb ass that said his hand movements become erogenous with the use of a pencil.

5. Default

Oh, I forgot, the paper matters too xD I find if I "age" certain paper by having them sit outside of their plastic shrink wrap in a wooden drawer, the paper becomes crappy and all the graphite leaks everywhere. If I take the same paper straight from the packaging, it works fine.

I can pull more than a dozen pieces of paper out of my Middle School homework archive (some being from the beginning of the year, having sat in my backpack the whole time) and they'll be pretty dam fresh, with little to no smears.

Um, NASA didn't have such pens back then, so they invented one.

At any rate though, I have no idea if they are the space pens or not, because I would only care if I were to actually go out into space.

6. Neon Atom
    IGN: zachattackGO
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 7X
    Job: Marauder!
    Guild: Pineapples
    Alliance: Pumpernickle

LOL Okay I didn't mean it in that way. I always thought errogenous meant sensitive in general, not in context of sexual stimuli.
    Looks like I was wrong. Man is my english teacher using it wrong.

PS thanks for calling me a dumbass.

7. Default

I hope you don't use that word in public very often.

8. Neon Atom

I don't :P. We just had it in a vocab list last week... IN ENGLISH. So I figured I should start using it right now. Turns out I had the wrong definition. I oughta bring that up to my English teacher. I wonder what other sexual definitions I have wrong.

9. Default

Well, 'innuendo' is on our vocab list meaning "an indirect reference". If something has a sexual connotation, it is always more prevalent than the non-sexual one. >_>

Edit: But I do believe erogenous's definition is that, not just a connotation, so yeah.

Edit 2: On topic, if pencil smears too much, try a 2H or 3H pencil. It may seem like an epic waste, but it really is cleaner. Unfortunately, it's also harder for your teacher to read.
    Last edited by Russt; 2008-12-05 at 01:34 AM.

10. Neon Atom

I was about to say - I googled the definition and it's definitely not just innuendo.

11. Default

Drawing pencils are nice. They're hard to see though. Less smearing and stuff. I stole a couple from my aunts. :P If you apply too much pressure when using a drawing pencil, you'll surely make a dent.

Never understood teachers/professors that wanted us to do math tests in pencil. I screw it all usually and just box my answer in pen and write out the answer in pen. I haven't gotten penalized for that YET.

The smell of new pencils is cool too.

...-sadface-

12. Default

My aunt(s) were into the fashion industry and stuff and as a little girl, I'd always steal their pens/pencils/markers. They do have a unique smell. Or maybe I just play around with pencils too much.

13. Default

Me neither. Although one time I was browsing in the market and I found these Milk Scented leads... the paper smelled so good after writing on it XD.

14. Neon Atom

...because the first thing I do when I see a freshly written on piece of paper is to take a big sniff of it.
    That's not awkward.

15. Default

I spilled soymilk on a piece of paper once and it smelled gooooood.

16. Default

My mechanical pencils smell like love and wood polish. Using them is always a very erogenous experience, so to speak.

17. Default

I got a B in AP Calc last quarter thanks to all the "-2's" at the top of all my papers, because I used pen. (After the quarter ended I sat down with the teacher and added 2 to all my grades). I only use Pencil in Music Theory, never in math. I work faster, cleaner, and more accurate in Pen.

Btw: Only pen I use is http://p.pens1000.com/vp1/31002PIL.jpg

the one on the far left there

18. ☆ ♥ ツ Straight Female
    IGN: QuIt!!!
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 184
    Job: ♥Bishop
    Guild: QUIT!
    Alliance: quit quit QUIT
    Michigan

When you use your beautiful pencil, do you sniff it, stroke it and make sweet love to it?

19. DUCKS
    IGN: Mondays
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 170
    Job: White Knight
    Guild: Affinity
    Alliance: Honour
    norway

You don't write gigantic equations without drafts ;X

I hate pencils, they smear, they make the paper look bad/horrible. They make any test look unprofessional. If you write wrong, use this.

wat b dis: