Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Ni no Kuni got released today/yesterday in the US, and I was wondering if anyone else besides me on Southperry got it.

It's freaking amazing.

This game has a fantastic...everything. If you have a PS3, and even just like RPGs, I highly suggest this game.

And the reason for the thread: Discuss! I strongly insist on Spoiler tags, though, if you're going to talk about story.

2. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I like Joe Hishashi's music, Studio Ghibli, cel-shaded graphics, epic music, epic storytelling and RPGs. What I don't have is a PS3 so woe be me forever.

3. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I should be getting it today, though I may hold off on playing until they bugfix the lag issues later in the game.

4. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I haven't experienced any lag issues, but I'm not at the later portions of the game either.

Did they say that it was something they intended to fix? Sometimes that stuff is never fixed...

I didn't keep up with any news about the game or anything, because that stuff often is filled with spoilers and other crap which ruins the game for me...and I didn't want to do that to myself.

5. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I think the fix was already made because the JP version initially had the problem as well, they just forgot to apply patch here too? I know they aren't fixing the "save before getting wand=corrupted save" bug though, since JP has had that since release and it was never fixed.

6. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

They must have fixed that before they released our version because I definitely saved before I got the wand and my save is fine...unless the issue doesn't apply until later?

7. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Is it just me that find it terribly annoying to play as a tiny little kid and control creatures that, if possible, are even more ugly and dull than pokemons? Is this mostly for fans of Pokemon?
    Note that I worship Studio Ghibli and enjoy alot of the jrpg tittles of old. I mean, I want to like this game, but as I look at videos I just can't. The backgrounds and areas look fantastic, but the character and his poketoons...

8. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I like Pokemon but i tried the Demo for this and it just didn't click with me.

9. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I honestly really hate that just because you have monster allies that instantly affiliates it with Pokemon and trying to copy them. Dragon Quest did this long before Pokemon did but all people see there is Pokemon rip off too (V, if you're curious, which came out in '92 while Pokemon R/B/G was '98/'96).

The battle system isn't even really remotely similar, and pretty much everything else is different as well. Only because it has the concept of monster companions, that means it's copying Pokemon.

With that logic, what game is not copying something else at this point? Your complaint should be a complaint about every single game in existence from the last five years at this point.

10. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

You misunderstand me, I did not compare it to Pokemon because of monsters. I compare them because, to me, they share a somewhat goofy design of their creatures.
    I see a huge fanbase for pokemon and a worship of the creatures themselves, much more so than for the actual games. Hence me asking if this game tickle those people too.
    I can't see why this game would get such a hype if not for a reason that I can't grasp, since it appeals neither to my Ghibli love, nor my jrpg interest.

11. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

For me, it looks absolutely beautiful, and I've been a big fan of Level 5 RPGs. They have never disappointed. I even love White Knight Chronicles, and I use the word even because so many people hated it. Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud, all kinds of games they've released and they are all fantastic in my opinion. They are masters of JRPGs in my honest opinion.

I honestly don't have any knowledge about Studio Ghibli outside of the fact that they made some renown animes, animes which I've never watched, but they can certainly create some fantastic visuals. The music is great too. Story is superb so far with great characters as well. I love the battle system as well. I know there are people complaining about it, saying that it's just "mash until you win," but if you actually play it with some focus, you can see that the battle system is a hell of a lot more advanced than people make it seem. You can certainly win if you just mash Attack, but really that's true for just about every JRPG that exists. If you actually want to play it, though, you have such vast options in it that it's far more than people who bash it make it seem. Everything that makes a great JRPG the game has in my opinion.

At this point, really, if you don't have weird and funky looking creatures, regardless of if you can recruit them or not, you (as a developer) will get bashed for it. It's really impossible to win at this point. No matter what you do people complain. This is why I don't go to forums like GameFAQs, GameTrailers, IGN, etc. People are never happy, and no matter what there are complaints. A lot of them time it's just people trying to find stuff to complain about instead of valid reasons too. Whether it be because the game isn't on their console of choice, or just because they don't like the genre, it's ridiculous.

12. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I've been looking forward to Ni no Kuni for a while now. I just need to save up a bit more money to be able to pick up both this and Fire Emblem: Awakening when that comes out. I'm hoping that by the end of the week I'll be able to go pick up a copy for myself and start playing!

13. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I absolutely loved what Level 5 did with Dragon Quest 8 too, which was nothing short of fantastic considering the transition from 2D and 3D. Sure, the battles in the trailer looked simple and rather much like button-mashing but not all JRPGs operate by the "Beat the hero until he cries" principle and the fact that Oliver is a kid and yet trains monsters to fight by the power of friendship is a bit more welcome than the more commonly used teen hero trope that gives the hero ridiculous amounts of power. In theory it's possible to button mash in almost every game anyway but that's why the onus is on you as the player to think if that's what you want.

Okay, assume it is pure button mashing. That does not detract from the graphics and the storyline, both of which may be good enough to redeem straightforward gameplay. I would also say that a lot of games these days make systems that just don't feel fluid to me so I wouldn't mind so long as the reasons why I'm playing the game are good enough. I do like the graphics and I'll be checking out the music as it appeals to me.

14. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

If you find an OST, link me. The BGM is beautiful. My usual sources only have the NDS OST, which is disappointing. Might have to find a gamerip.

15. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I'll tell you if I find one. It should be up within a few days but until then I shall gather my usual stalking resources and see if I can stake anything out.

16. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I don't have it, but the fact alone thats a collab with Studio Ghibli makes me love it. That and that's said its combat system is a mixx of Final Fantasy and Pokemon.

This game is one of the reasons I'm doubting to get a Wii U and not a PS3.

17. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I got this in the mail from Amazon today, but it will have to wait because I decided to start a playthru of Dragon Quest 8 a couple days ago. Don't really know why I started a new game, with Ni no Kuni coming out this week.

18. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Dragon Quest 8 is fairly short unless you want to delve into the bonus dungeon. That being said, it's one of the most amazing games I've ever played and the styles of both games remind me of the other so maybe you could play DQ 8 first or put it on hold until you're done with Ni no Kuni.

19. Default Re: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I honestly expected an OST long before now because the game has been out in Japan for a while now, over a year (My only problem with L5, they take forever to localize stuff).

That was mighty silly =P

Honestly, if it wasn't for MH3U, I wouldn't be getting a Wii U anytime soon myself. I'm an avid Monster Hunter fan though, so I will be getting one for that alone. Yes, I could just get it for 3DS, but the Wii U version will have servers and without something similar to XLink for the 3DS, I have no reason to really care for that version very much. Most of MH's fun is in the multiplayer for me.

Though I probably will still get the 3DS version, mostly to support the franchise but the portable version of the game with syncing save files will be amazingly useful, I'm sure.

Outside of MH3U, though, I don't really have much that interests me on the Wii U myself. There will be eventually, I'm certain, but nothing right now.

Edit: Honestly, I think the Metacritic score speaks for itself: http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...?dist=positive
    87, with 32 Positive reviews, 1 "Mixed" and 0 Negative. I haven't seen so many positive reviews for a JRPG in a long time.