1. Default Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

I have 2GB of RAM and I lag pretty horribly. I don't download anything on here, routinely scan it for viruses and the like, and defragment my C: drive. A friend of mine said I should have more than enough RAM to run Maple and another chimed in saying she has 1GB RAM and runs Maple perfectly fine. I'm dumb when it comes to computers so talk to me like I'm five please :|

Sorry for the impending wall of images
    Spoiler

Laptop specs straight from the Toshiba website

What exactly is causing my Maple to run so slow? If it can't be alleviated, I'd just like to know what the possible causes are.

2. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

Default Re: Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

My laptop has double that amount of RAM and it lags horribly when there are a lot of people in the map or when big skills are used (cough Buster/Kaiser cough). It gets pretty unbearable. 1 GB is the minimum required to run the game too.

I call shenanigans on the person who runs it just fine with 1 gig.

Something I would suggest, at least on boss runs, is to set your battery power plan to High Performance. It helped me quite a bit on Empress runs, although lag is still present. Of course, this was before the past few patches, where the game started to REALLY lag...

3. Default Re: Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

I also have this issue with 4GB of RAM on my laptop. My PC however also has 4 with a much worse GPU(graphics)+CPU(processor) and runs a bit better.

Also is your laptop overheating? I pin pointed my issues to that.

4. Default Re: Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

1.67GHz isn't a very good processor either. That's probably part of the problem.

5. Default Re: Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

It seems like your laptop has an integrated graphics card, could that be part of the problem?

6. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

few things to mention about the performance of the said laptop:

the intel atom series is generally a low power and lolw power consuming consumer chip, usually found in netbooks. they don't have a lot of processing power.(remember, ghz does not dictate performance, it only dictates the cycle speed, but not how much work it takes in that set time period, which is a marketing ploy)
    with that in mind, its probably a laptop without a dedicated card. if the processor or motherboard chipset has an IGPU(integrated graphics processing unit) it has a very small amount of VRAM(Video random access memory), and will use some of the system ram as VRAM. then the game itself will use up ram, and if your friend was running an igpu on 1gb ram, they must be at the most uncrowded places possible.

7. Default Re: Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

2GB of RAM is fine for Maple. The only thing more RAM does is allow your computer to run more programs at the same time without relying on a page file on your hard drive. Your computer reads and writes to RAM many times faster than it does to your hard drive, so if you want to open a bunch of tabs in your browser, play games, and open other applications, you need a lot of RAM. If you've got nothing open but 3-5 tabs in your browser and Maple, going past 2 GB isn't going to make a big difference.

Your main issue is that your processor is very slow. The Intel Atom CPUs are designed for portable desktops and netbooks, which means they focus on low power usage and and have very little graphics processing capability. Your line is also limited to 2 GB of RAM, so it isn't possible to upgrade that, even if you wanted to. If you've scanned for viruses, defragged your hard drive, and made sure you're running as little as possible when playing Maple, you've already done just about all you can to speed your computer up. Unfortunately, since it's a laptop, there isn't much you can do to upgrade other than buy a new computer.

8. Default Re: Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

Don't think it is. I almost always use a cooling fan and no noticeable change.

Temperature read without the cooling fan. Once I use it, it drops to roughly 110 Fahrenheit (43 Celsius).

She plays Maple on a Mac apparently. Not sure how good those are but I was on a full Empress boss run with her yesterday and I saw for myself that she definitely did not lag.

It's already on high performance I lag the worst when she summons mobs.

OT: Lots of posts concerning my processor so I guess that's the problem. Sigh. Thanks for the help, everyone!

9. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Macs generally have good enough hardware, if its a MBP, it has a dedicated mobile gpu. if its a mac book air, the intel HD 3000 or Intel HD 4000 depending on how old the MBA model is is more than enough to play maple. its not that macs have bad hardware, its just bad hardware for the price

10. Default Re: Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

Try dedicating some of your harddrive as Virtual RAM. It could help at least somewhat.
    http://www.techbirdy.com/2010/12/03/...s-virtual-ram/

11. Default Re: Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

It doesn't look like a great computer, but I really don't think Maplestory should be more demanding than what your computer is capable of. I would just try disabling your aero theme if you haven't already and be sure that your laptop is plugged in while you're trying to play. Other than that, you could try playing Maplestory on the lower resolution if you're not and lowering the settings as much as you can stand.

12. Default Re: Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

You're using a Netbook. There is your problem. They are not made to game. They are made to browse the web and do homework. To answer your question: No. Your netbook is not cut out to play Maple, or most games for that matter.

13. Default Re: Is my laptop just not cut out for Maple?

Your processor is an Atom processor. Like @Dystopiq; said, your computer is a netbook and is meant only for browsing the web and documents.

http://ark.intel.com/products/49491/...ache-1_66-GHz)