IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Sword vs Axe

Well I finally merched a bit and got some 2 bil mesos for me to spend. At the moment, the main question I've been debating is whether I go 1h sword + shield or go with an axe. My current Reverse Nibleheim is 166ish attack with the potential and nebulite (if you're wondering why so high, pre-big bang and GM scrolls 5/7) and I think I heard there was an upcoming NX item that can make untradable items into tradable status. Nonetheless, my friends and guildmates always tease me how I should get a better sword and they even found 2h axe which were around 150ish attack but I remembered something about axes being slower but more base attack. However, there must be a reason why axes are cheaper (maybe because they're less used in job varieties?)

Anyways, the main question is "should I stick with my Reverse Nibleheim or switch onto an axe(2h/1h) or a 1h sword with shield?"

2. Default Re: Sword vs Axe

My advice is go 2H Empress Axe. They are certainly the cheapest of empress equips available for heroes. And they are most likely the cheapest to buy GM service from as well. You could easily make a 200+ attack axe with buying GM service and from the upcoming hot days that give out protection scrolls. Just make a bunch of accounts (have to be atleast lvl 13 to get the hot day reward) and enhance away. I went 2H axe on my old hero. Definitely the cheapest way to make a great weapon.

3. Default Re: Sword vs Axe

The only real advantage I could see to using a one handed sword would be the fact that it's fast instead of normal. If normal speed doesn't bother you I don't see anything wrong with using a two handed axe. I heard something about axes having higher highs and lower lows than swords, but this was back in 2004 or so and was probably just nonsense to begin with or at least isn't relevant since big bang. I assume the only reason it would be cheaper is because two handed axes are only used by Heroes and not because there's anything inherently wrong with them.

4. Default Re: Sword vs Axe

Forgot to include the speed part. 1h swords are faster, but with your available funds, finding or scrolling a good 1h sword + a shield would take a lot more than 2b.

5. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

California

Default Re: Sword vs Axe

Well if I were to go 2h axe, I would probably need to search the FM for one as well as GM service (if there is any). Would you happen to know the price range for GM service? That one is a bit new to me since I never "went" to someone for it.

6. Default Re: Sword vs Axe

Im not entirely sure how much it would be. I know LQuaHero & LiQuaPook (idk if there are any other LiQua's) sell most GM services. He usually charges ~max mesos for +10 empress weapons (excluding high demand ones i.e. 2H sword for Kaiser). But for 2H axe, my guess is anywhere from 100-150m each scroll?

7. フレイムチョコボ Straight Male
    IGN: FlameChocobo II
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire

If it's not a One Handed Sword that is the best weapon choice, it is Two Handed Axe.

Two handed Axe are normally stronger than their Sword counterpart due to Two Handed Swords being weaker by 2 attack power, but that's nothing relevant end game wise. Two Handed Axes, Two Handed Blunt Weapons, and Spears are the only weapons that no other class wields other than Heroes, Paladins, and DarKs respectively. I'm surprised Nexon hasn't bothered making a Two Handed Axe wielder, Two Handed Blunt Weapon wielder, or a Spear wielder class. So if you'd rather not upgrade a sword and a shield, then Two Handed Axe are the better choice for Fighter/Crusader/Hero.

8. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

California

Okay so an update with my situation, I recently bought a Lionheart Battle Axe for quite a good deal; 165 atk, +5 and 3 slots left.

Now the next question I had was how do I buy GM service? It's kind of new to me so I don't know what to expect.