1. Cash5 Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

Next month I will have to downgrade my connection from cable @30mbps to possibly the phone company basic @726 kbps. It's the only home option in my area, from what I can tell.

I don't know of other options and Google didn't give me any others. Unless it is possible to get wi-fi on a desktop, which might be iffy since I don't live too close to any hotspots. Am I just out of luck? Thanks for looking.

2. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

Should be fine.
    I run multiple maples (on multiple computers) on a 1.5Mb connection, and they work fine even while daughter is streaming TV shows.

3. Default Re: Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

30mbps cable? Who's your provider? Anyway, I get by on some 300kbps Frontier (notoriously bad provider) DSL most of the time. The only real problem with it is that you'll lag like crazy if you try to multitask anything.

4. Default Re: Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

Sweet, thanks for the good news. Thanks so much.

My provider is Charter and that is the advertised speed, I doubt it is the actual speed but I didn't look. . . . guess I should huh? It is really quite fast though.

No Multitasking is gonna suck but I'll adjust. Hopefully I'll be able to have the browser open at least.

5. Default Re: Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

You should be fine, I'm using an AT&T advertised 768Kbps/384Kbps Down/Up basic DSL. I can run MS on two computers and browse and play with relative ease.

6. Default Re: Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

If it really is 768kbps then that should be more than twice as fast as my connection, so you might not have similar problems. It's probably worth mentioning that there's at least 4 people that use this 300kbps connection regularly, and there may be other people that use it without me knowing. If you've got the line to yourself it'll probably be just as good for everything except watching videos in high quality and downloading big files.

7. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

i can guarantee you 768 kiulobits per second(actual download speed is 80-96(upper end for real 768kbps) kilobytes

souce: << using 768kbps, its cancerous download speed but stable in gameplay. but a single stream of anything flash can screw it up. the only thing that wont clog the bandwidth would probably be streaming music only players(radios etc)

8. Default Re: Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

I guess my response might have been misleading, then. I'm not totally sure how you measure in such small speeds (apparently kilobits is kbps and kilobytes is kBps), but I guess if you're not advertising megabits per second then you'd probably measure in kilobits instead of kilobytes. My connection is definitely 2 megabits per second, which translates to about 300 kilobytes per second. If you're really getting less than a hundred kilobytes per second then your internet would be one third the speed of my already crappy DSL, which seems like an unfathomable figure in this day and age.

On a side note, I really hate that bits and bytes have the same acronyms with different capitalization; especially with how useless measuring in bits is these days.

9. Default Re: Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

More like 50-60kBytes based on my downloading. And yes, if you are a YouTube fan, you'll hate it and your eyes will definitely not thank you for having to squint due to awful resolutions in the slow videos. I'll be upgrading to a faster connection in the Spring though, can't wait to move up into the First World.

10. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

yeah i know what you mean. theres like only 1 player that i know doesn't have to constantly buffer on a 768 kbps line, and that is mp4upload(which i use to stream my noobquality anime)

11. Default Re: Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

For the first year or so I played the game, it was on dialup at 28k bits/s. It was steady slow, but fairly reliable (ie, never any long stalls)
    For this game, the reliability of the internet can be more important than the rated download speed.
    My internet is nominally 70 times faster now, but sometimes there are long stalls that I never had on dialup.

12. Default Re: Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

I connect to JMS with a 512kbps connection. You'll be fine, however bosses will lag if they summon too much. When doing stuff like Zakum, make sure you keep them clean and don't let them get out of control or you will disconnect due to too much traffic.

Also you'll probably have some lag on those giant Eos Tower maps with the flying mobs. Good thing they're useless.

13. Default

So make sure nothing is on in the background then. Thanks.
    I bet it is to confuse the customer so the company can give you any speed they want.
    Back to buffering on you tube. Great. Welp, I'd rather have internet than not. Thanks for the heads up.
    Never thought a bout stability which means I must have had stable connections. I hope AT&T is solid. Thanks for pointing this out.
    This is exactly what I'll have. Sounds better now that I've read about your experience. Thank you.

Good advice. Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Jon; 2013-01-20 at 08:09 AM.

14. Default Re: Basic internet connection enough for Maple?

768Kbps!? EWWWWWW. This isn't 2001.