IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Cash1 Fire/Poison Magician Skill Distribution Guide

Welcome to the latest Fire/Poison Mage Skill Distribution Guide! All Questions/Comments/Suggestions are welcome
    Latest updates:
    June 27th, 2013 - guide is finally stickied! I'll have to make a few small changes to make it unleashed -friendly and what-not.
    January 29th, 2013 - made a ton of alterations to some builds. Removed some unneeded/redundant builds, changed a few things on the Hyper section. Currently Prepping the guide to be Unlimited-friendly (where the damage cap will be raised).
    January 9th, 2013 - added a recommendation level section to every build, did some tweaking to DOT Lover's 3rd job build. Today is the first day the guide has been posted on SP. Enjoy :]
    November 29th, 2012 - restructured 2nd, 3rd, and 4th job builds to accommodate Tempest job advancement changes!
    November 8th, 2012 - Added a section on which hyper skills would be best to raise, and ratings for them @.@

2nd job Fire/Poison Wizard Build

3rd Job Fire/Poison Mage Builds

4th job Fire/Poison ArchMage Builds

Hyper Skill Ratings and Reference

Questions and Answers

Credits: thanks Phistoff, ClericboyZ15, Zenarkenstin of basilmarket.com, and thanks Valhala556 of southperry.net for the in-depth feedback and advice.

Copyright Notice: This guide is not to be used and/or posted anywhere outside of Southperry.net or Basilmarket.com without the owner's permission. Violators shall be prosecuted. In the event that an unauthorized version of this guide appears, angry chinchillas will sniff out the I.P. address of the violators, track them down and bite their face off within due law.
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2013-06-27 at 03:27 PM.

2. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Default Re: Fire/Poison Mage Skill Distribution Guide (post-Tempest)

-snip- I've added a copyright. If anyone wants me to change/add anything post here and be as specific as possible. Thanks :)
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2013-01-09 at 07:00 PM.

3. Default Re: Fire/Poison Mage Skill Distribution Guide (post-Tempest)

Alternating skills is probably the worst idea.

4. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

How so? I find it slightly more effective when it comes to raising a combination of Mist/Explosion and Amp than maxing Explosion/Mist and then raising Amp afterwards.

Also, a combo of mist and explo is good if you want variety in training places. Not everyone goes for the most straight-forward builds, that's why I put those as options.

Edit: as for the alternation of skills in the fourth job builds, I think it either wouldn't make sense to not alternate (for things like Big Bang, and Meteor having a great affect on Mist Eruption's damage; or the skills are alternated to increase damage as with Buff Mastery and attacking skills).

I've tweaked one of the third job builds because I think you're partially correct though.
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2013-01-09 at 06:49 PM.

5. Default Re: Fire/Poison Mage Skill Distribution Guide (post-Tempest)

Seems like everyone's moving their guides here now. Is that what cool kids do? I'm too lazy to do that.

6. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

I simply did it because I like SP more than basil and it'd be more accessible. I think you should move yours too, it's perfect.

7. Default Re: Fire/Poison Mage Skill Distribution Guide (post-Tempest)

So much effort though. ):

8. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

It took me about 20-30 minutes, albeit yours is much larger. Be wary of [Header] tags lol, just replace with [b] is what I did, and did tons of previews before I thought it was ready to port. The spoilers help the spacing and there's pretty much no need for a table of contents when using spoilers :]. The [IMG] and [Table] tags should also work here just as well as in basil unless I'm mistaken.

I hope you consider it :)

9. Default Re: Fire/Poison Mage Skill Distribution Guide (post-Tempest)

i did fire/poison alternate during my early 70s and found it kind of pointless so i just maxed out explosion to maximize damage. But i would rather max out seal now to be honest and leave out explosion.

I also disagree to why most guide recommends 1 teleport mastery after the job advancement. Explosion is x10 more useful especially in pqs where you need that ability to mob.

10. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

It is unusual to alternate but definitely effective if you're alternating between Explo/Mist and Amp. Alternating with Amp adds a lot more damage to Explo/Mist than an extra point or two in them would, the numbers should back this up significantly unless I'm gravely mistaken. And alternating between Mist and Explo is good for those few who enjoy training in lots of different areas due to the elemental attributes. I'm not specifically recommending it but leaving it out there as an option as you can see because it wouldn't hurt at all.
    Both seal and explosion aren't used much in 4th job at all. Seal is good for PvP and nothing else. Explosion is good for if you want to attack bearwolves at different platforms in 4th job. But otherwise it's a toss-up. There's also barely any difference between lvl 14 and maxed seal, unlike with explosion.
    1 point in tele mastery to start off 3rd job caters more to Mist than to Explo (tele mastery would be able to aggro monsters Mist can miss, and greater tele distance is nothing but a plus). It'd also be a slight plus to Explo if you're training at enemies with ranged attacks; you can keep them grounded and stunned (albeit at a not-so-great 35% probability) while you explode.

And it's only 1 point in tele mastery to start off, the other three can be spent on Explosion is what I'm getting at.

edit: I'll add a recommendation level to each build :)
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2013-02-05 at 10:57 AM.

11. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

What would it take to get this guide to get stickied? i think it has pretty much everything anyone needs in terms of F/P build options.

12. Default Re: Fire/Poison Mage Skill Distribution Guide (post-Tempest)

We usually just stick them when we notice that it's filling a need and people agree on the core points of it. Not asking also works in your favour.

13. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

I think the core points were generally agreed upon. I've also addressed the criticisms (even so those criticisms were arguably petty but nevertheless refuted or corrected).

I also think it's obvious that this guide fills a need. But I'll let you guys decide. But to further state my case and explain my reasoning, I was just concerned; because the thread below mine called "Bishop's Comprehensive Guide to Bossing" was really good (and I'm pretty sure the author worked quite hard on it), and it is somehow gone without getting much feedback. Maybe it was gone because there's not much activity in this sub-forum. In which case, having it be stickied is only a benefit to add activity to this sub-forum. I don't see guides withering away as fair. I worked hard on this guide too and having it wiped like the above would make it all for naught.

14. Desk Straight Male
    IGN: NatsuEliseo
    Server: Galicia
    Level: 206
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Exploited
    Alliance: Family
    Farm: StarWars
    mexico

Nice guy, but you should change the Hyper guide. Since it seems that ignore defense is now multiplicative, having the %ignore Hypers for skills would help even the most funded, wouldn't it?

15. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

I realize the hyper part is not particularly Unlimited-friendly yet, which I'm planning to change. You have a very good point regardless. I think I'll bump the rating for it up to 10/10 for average-funded because it does seem like ignore is multiplicative (after Unlimited comes, I guess) and the cap will eventually get raised. If you're hitting 10 mil cap with paralyze (only what 3 people can or are able to do that in KMS?) using Mist Eruption serves no purpose because spamming Paralyze gives much better DPM, but indeed that's only for super-rare cases.

edit: I also will prep this guide for the eventual level cap to 250 increase as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

16. Default Re: Fire/Poison Mage Skill Distribution Guide (post-Tempest)

I was thinking of making a f/p guild but got to lazy when it came down to it. Some problems that I have with it though most will pertain to 4th job.
    ----4th job-----
    1) As a f/p I feel the main focus is Dot stacking + mist eruption. With that said your first proity should be getting at least 1 point in all of your 5 Dot. But for some reason 2 your builds dont put any points into Big Bang at the advancement and one waits till lvl 123. Getting them all early also helps with how they control their character and time skills. Plus it adds variety.

2) You seem to have an emphases on paralyze. Now I know this is a very important skill But again. When you first make a job advancement you want all your 1 point wonders at the begining. And if You didnt know they are skills are massively useful with 1 point. This is mainly for your "Simple Guide" but also for some others as shouldn't put 2 points in a single skill at lvl 100.

3)Meteor Shower is not that good of a skill. Its really bad for damage because of its long cast time/cooldown. Idk why you always have it max so early. It should be one of/if not the last skill you max. Look into how it can be used in-game and you'll see what I mean. Maplewarrior should also be last as well. But that is just me.

4)I agree with @JoeTang; that spliting up skills as you level them is bad. If you cant help it then dont worry about it too much but dont focus on it. What it could be is get X skill to 11 then increase Y skill to 19, then max X skill and then max Y skill. Breaking it up every level isnt the best for damage. And its hard to see improvments per level. Think of like pokemon and how it's, in a way, easier to get by training one pokemon as apposed to keeping 6 balanced in level.

5) This one isnt really nessasary but it should be worth noting that having FlameGear helps with bossing. Even though it doesnt effect eruption, I find it easy during bosses to forget that one of my DoT's has expired. and since flamegear only needs to be cased once every 40 seconds. its nice. Though I use it even though its just lvl 2. (19sec) Also recommending Mikhail's stance buff is also extremely helpful for archmages.
    -----3rd job----
    6) Spell booster. I dont know why but you seem to not be fond of it. I feel like speed is important. You only need to get it to like lvl 3/4 (60sec to 80sec duration) before moving on to something else. But it should be done early as it will speed up training. Everyone OHKO's/ near OHKO's at those lvls anyway.

7) Since Poison Mist training will be vastly different than what the normal mapler does you should provide a guide on which maps are good for poison misting. Even if the training is inferior it still is fun because its different. And it can kill some boredom as a F/P.

8) I remember that having 1 explosion and 20 amp(before revamp) was better than 20 explosion and 1amp. With that said I know 1 explosion and 10 amp> 10explosion and 1 amp as explosion still maxing at 20.
    ----2nd Job-----
    9)Again with the bad splitting of skills at the advancement. You should take one point out breath and put it in mastery. But considering how fast you can go through these levels it doesnt matter too much. Fire Arrow is Ok here for the variation aspect.

10)You need to have them maxing Teleport sooner. Its only 5 points and at that lvl increase movement speed is better for training than any % upgrades to damaging skills.

------Hypers------

11)Passive stat are alright but you should put a disclaimer that you should take your character's needs into account. For instance I wont be getting %hp because even though more Hp is awsome. with Magic Guard my Hp:Mp ratio is way off in that it feels like I have too little MP comparied to HP. I.e. for every 1 HP potion I use I Must use 2 MP.

There are some good thinks in here like the skill hypers but there are also somethings you should work on.
    Last edited by valhala556; 2013-01-29 at 12:55 AM. Reason: grammer

17. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Thank you very much for your response. I think they are mostly valid points. My responses are in bold...

18. Default Re: Fire/Poison Mage Skill Distribution Guide (post-Tempest)

It seems like the 'raise one skill at a time' thing was covered, but at any given time there is definitely an optimal skill for damage. Increasing either explosion or amp will increase damage. One is going to increase your damage more than the other. Usually one skill is going to be more useful than another at any given time. Whenever a skill exists purely to make numbers bigger, one is going to be more helpful than the other. This isn't true for all builds - alternating attacks are a good example - but for most cases you'll want to focus on one skill at a time.

19. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Made a ton of edits to builds and the hypers section hopefully for the better, removed 3 builds due to them being unnecessary/redundant imo, and also to streamline it. Let me know how you like the new version of this guide!

edit: @Kabanaw,@valhala556,@JoeTang I definitely changed the builds to avoid skill combinations as much as possible.

Damn, that was a good 4 hours of work

20. Default Re: Fire/Poison Mage Skill Distribution Guide (post-Tempest)

Im glad you took into consideration the things i've mentioned.
    as for amp vs explosion the @Kabanaw ; explained it pretty well.