1. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Default Best camera for Graphic Design?

Long story short:
    Girlfriend is studying Graphic Desing and her University asked her to buy a professional camera for her assignment "Photography I"
    Neither she nor I know which one is good or decent for this.
    Any suggest?
    I only heard that Nikon's are not that great.

2. ☆ ♥ ツ Straight Female
    IGN: QuIt!!!
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 184
    Job: ♥Bishop
    Guild: QUIT!
    Alliance: quit quit QUIT
    Michigan

Default Re: Best camera for Graphic Design?

I would say to start with something simple I would go with the Canon Eos Rebel T3 or T3i. They are relatively cheaper and very good cameras (I have 3 Canon Professional Cameras). I can't say anything much about Nikon, other than I've never used one. There is no reason for her to go crazy on buying a camera if its for Photo I, especially if it's not her major. Good luck.

3. Default Re: Best camera for Graphic Design?

What's the price range?

4. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

If it it solely for that class, then I'd get something like a Nikon D60. That's what I have, it's a good starter dslr or something for those that enjoy taking photos as a hobby but not so much in a serious sense of it. The photos it takes are of good quality. If you're against Nikon, or just prefer Canon, I've heard Canon Rebels are good starters as well.

Here's my flickr and a few examples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/icephoe...7631964904862/
    i
    Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

5. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male

@Katie; Thanks I'll try to get some info about those.
    @MuscleWizard; any price
    @icephoenix21; I don't have anything against Nikon, I barely know anything about cameras :(
    And wow those photos are really good.

6. Donator Straight Female
    canada

Some people just prefer one over the other, but since it's only for a class, I wouldn't worry about it.
    I looked into the prices a bit, new on amazon a D60 is going for $1000. However, on ebay and other places they are much, much cheaper, and probably work just fine as long as you do a bit of research about the sellers and such.

7. ☆ ♥ ツ Straight Female
    IGN: QuIt!!!
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 184
    Job: ♥Bishop
    Guild: QUIT!
    Alliance: quit quit QUIT
    Michigan

My EOS T3 is about $500-$650. Depends where you buy, what lens' come with, accessories, etc. Mine was more than that, only because I got it when it was new ($1200).

I would post an example of my cameras pics, but I just got a new laptop and haven't gotten any photos off my old comp.

8. Default Re: Best camera for Graphic Design?

I'm against getting a D60 here. Because it is a camera from 2008 (it has since been replaced with the D5000 series, D52000 being the latest) and paying $1000 for something that old is not a smart move if the OP wants, I assume, best bang for the buck.

At our school, the university bought Canon 60Ds with the 18-135mm kit lens for the photography classes. I've seen their assignments and for what they're doing, you'll probably get by with a VERY VERY basic DSLR for about $500 with a 18-55mm kit lens.

That being said, she can also go to B&H and purchase the same refurbished camera for maybe $300-$400ish. I think it would be a cost saving solution and a very good way for her to understand the basics of photography. $300-400 is also not a big investment into the photography hobby and afterwards if she decides she's becoming more interested in photography, and has out grown her camera, she could always get something with more features.

Also I've never heard of courses REQUIRING you to purchase a camera. Usually universities have loaners that are somewhat decent that you could sign out for assignments.

Last, I want to add that image quality wise, with the current cameras either Canon or Nikon, you're not going to see a difference until you start getting into the $2000 range, when you can get a full frame camera. So image quality should be the least of your concerns as a beginner. The major difference in the sub $2000 are the construction of the camera (plastic, aluminium, magnesium), specs of the camera (# of card slots, battery life, additional top view LCD screen, view finder accuracy, # of focal points, LCD screen type, max shutter speed, burst rate, weather sealing...etc)

9. Donator Straight Female
    canada

Well, yeah.. that is why I included that it is much cheaper on other sites. I noticed one on ebay going for less than $100.

10. Default Re: Best camera for Graphic Design?

Not only based on price, I just thought it is a little too old :P Thus the specs aren't too ideal. But still, I think it will be enough for OP's gf's photography class.

Edit: Nice pics btw!

Edit2: JUST REALISED THAT I MISEED THE FREE FLICKR UPGRADE FOR 3 MONTHS D:

11. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male

Welp, living in a 3rd world country doesn't help at all with this.
    While things are affordable and all, our universities here in Mexico doesn't have these kind of stuff.
    Anyways thanks for all these usefull advices.