Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Movies] The Hobbit

1. Default Re: The Hobbit

It's definitely a blatant A-list scene grab but it would appear that the conversation at least did take part, though based on my re-read on the Hobbit it is unlikely that it took place when Thorin and co were present.

2. Desk Straight Male
    IGN: NatsuEliseo
    Server: Galicia
    Level: 206
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Exploited
    Alliance: Family
    Farm: StarWars
    mexico

Default Re: The Hobbit

Never in The Hobbit states the council, but you can gather information about what happened, although it might have not been an addition Tolkien would have made or add directly.

I do know for sure (and you can double check) that Gandalf did have a meeting with the highest members of the "council" (I'm not really sure what word in english they used, the reference appears on both the index and The Silmarillion). He even went as far as to say the elves asked him to lead it, refused it, and Saruman took the position in one of the two books, unsure of which.

The problem with all of this and why some of us extreme fans are a bit mad or doubting if it was actually a good choice to do this scenes as the filler material is because all of this information is scattered. This is where Jackson took most liberty, since it mentions it happened, doesn't exactly mentions: who (As in if all of them or just two or 3), how, when and where (It can be deduced Rivindell, but it never states so).

Just my two cents of info.

I would have loved an explanation of Galadriel, she is one of my favorite characters from Middle Earth, but a movie of The Silmarillion would be extremely hard to put off.

3. Default Re: The Hobbit

What I meant by "no redeeming qualities", I was referring to physical prowess, and basically what Thorin and the others all saw in him, or the lack of what they saw. There is no doubt that Bilbo's intangible qualities are present and have a big effect on the story. My main issue has just been with the way the cast the character of Bilbo that took away what made him such an awesome character in the book.

4. Default Re: The Hobbit

That one I can agree with. Bilbo's the kind of character that doesn't immediately begin to look awesome which is what makes his character development amazing while what they've done here is to make him look heroic like the stereotypical protagonist, which is almost the furthest away from Bilbo as Bag End must be from Erebor. There's also the part about him 'wanting to reclaim the land for the dwarves' which is just plain idiotic; that is completely out of character for him.