IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Coping with being hacked

So recently, my friends and I were training on MapleStory and talking on Skype about stuff when all of a sudden, my friend just disconnects. He responded with "What the heck? I dc'd." All of a sudden, he relogs back on but on a different channel and we were asking him what's he doing? He told us that he hasn't logged on yet and that it said his account was logged on. Apparently, some person managed to connect to his account and stole his equips and whatnot. My friend then managed to get onto Maple to realize what happened when another thing happens; his whole internet disconnects and he isn't able to log on for a few minutes. Meanwhile, his characters are logging on and off which definitely meant that he got hacked. My other friend who was in the call told me privately that there was someone else listening to the call that wasn't part of the people online (don't ask how; I don't even know) and told me it was a RAT (no idea if he meant rat or a term). I ended the call afterwards and told the skype people the situation. Everyone then got paranoid and started scanning our computers and stuff.

Now, I just want to know what can I do for my friend? This is the second time this has happened to him and I think he's going to be emo for a while since he spent a lot of $$ on this game. As usual, he said that his computer had no viruses, didn't install any malicious softwares, etc. I just want to try to alleviate the pain a bit less so he won't stress out more.

2. Default Re: Coping with being hacked

A RAT is the acronym for Remote Administration Tool.

If your friend in the past went to any sketch websites that wanted him to run Java app or whatnot and he clicked Yes, then it was possible this way. But that's as far as I know. I'm not a computer buff.

Spoiler

For my friends that got hacked, I always offered to lend, or even flat out give, mesos or offered that if they needed anything (help killing a boss for the drops) let me know. Giving old %equips may help too. Sorry to hear about your friend though.

3. Default Re: Coping with being hacked

If you got spare equips that are good for him, it would be nice of you to give them out. However, don't over do it, don't give or offer more than you can/want to give.
    The thread made me remember my old maple friend, who got hacked way before I met him. No one would help him, so he trained at sakuras or something for who knows how long. When I met him he had enough mesos for almost anything he wanted. When someone we knew got hacked they'd always come to him and ask for mesos/stuff. It was sort of ironic(?) for him, so he always said no.

4. Default Re: Coping with being hacked

reminds me of what happened to @KhainiWest;, His internet got hijacked when he was playing maple and they stole all his stuff.

5. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

California

Default Re: Coping with being hacked

Whoa, I sincerely hope he did not get RAT'd. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions, guys. At the moment, he's sort of taking is slowly by sighing a lot so I'm going to see what I can lend.

EDIT: Turns out he lost access to one account. He still has his backup backup main but no idea if he'll stick with it.

6. Default Re: Coping with being hacked

That video was stupid and it made me question the author's intelligence.

7. Default Re: Coping with being hacked

Did I miss something besides the "lol I Googled your IP and know where you live?"

8. Default Re: Coping with being hacked

More like "lel I just showed your IP on a video and now your ass is grass"

9. Default Re: Coping with being hacked

That is the stupid part. Knowing someone's GeoIP location is meaningless. I'm not sure why you care because it isn't that accurate.

10. Default Re: Coping with being hacked

What happened to me was slightly different. The hacker literally knocked out my modem while I was logged in. I know it wasn't anything like a rat or a keylog or anything of that nature because;

1) He only attacked my main. I only lost maybe 10 out of the hundreds of bil's I had. He didn't even see that I had max mesos in storage.

2) He never logged in to my account, he just hijacked the connection to my character. The moment my service provider called and blocked it (took about 10 minutes) I was able to relog into my character. All of the tradeable stuff was taken, and my chaos pendent.

I haven't had an incident since, partly because I've avoided the game entirely, but the hacker wasn't in it for the money, he frankly just wanted to hurt me. Unfortunately it didn't bother me as much because I was planning on selling everything anyway for empress gear. I was just bummed I lost my mask, but now that it has been duped beyond recognition, there was no real loss in the process.

11. Default Re: Coping with being hacked

Your ISP actually called you about this situation? I've never heard of something like this happening and frankly I wouldn't believe that it was even possible in the first place.

12. Default Re: Coping with being hacked

That's fine. A basil mod tried to denounce it as well, but I had a weird relationship with leayix, he did manage to shut off my internet in the same method, although he wasn't the one who did this because he's the type to brag about it, not hide it. According to him all he needs is the IP you can get off MSN/Skype as long as the contact adds you.

How it happened or not, the typical "keylog" "rat" "trusted friend" doesn't work in any circumstance of my situation. They didn't hack my email, they didn't log into it even after I relogged into it, I still haven't even changed my password to make a point. The hacker had millions of oppurtunities to go on and steal 50b+ more.

My modem was overworked, the ISP called to wonder why it was being overworked, probably thought I was doing majoring pirating or something, they saw that there were 3 IP's attacking it with packets and blocked them. My connection reestablished and I relogged. No action was taken to prevent future incidents as I was floored of how I was attacked, and I wanted to know if it was in my error. It's not "fact" but considering they had over 8 months with the same account information to log in and havent attempted, even smegaing a VIP 140 attack gun (was worth a bundle at the time), to me disregards any form of personal error on my part.

13. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

California

Default Re: Coping with being hacked

I'm amazed your provider noticed it. It's scary how there's many ways a hacker can have access to your internet in a few moments.