Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

Evan no but Freud yes.

3. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

Still frames. You can get boy or girl though.

4. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

No. Fancanon.

What? Mercedes, Phantom and Luminous' creation icons only had one gender.

5. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

A mere difference in vocabulary -- I always learned "headcanon" as a wee bitty fandomkid. Besides, "headcanon" has the most amusing misspelling "headcannon"

6. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

No, they didn't.

7. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

Unless everyone is thinking of a different definition for "creation icon," Mercedes, Phantom, and Luminous do in fact only have one gender displayed. I'm using creation icon to refer to that square that has the class name, rate of growth, difficulty, etc. They do have both genders available, however.

8. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

So, comparing some classes:

Phantom, Luminous, Kaiser = 100% male. Only male artwork. Only male cutscenes.

Mihile = 100% male. Only male artwork. No cutscenes.

Aran, Evan = 50% male / 50% female. Both male and female artwork. No cutscenes.

Demon Slayer = 50% male / 50% female. Both male and female artwork. Both male and female cutscenes.

Mercedes, Angelic Burster = 100% female. Only female artwork. Only female cutscenes.

9. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

I dunno about Demon Slayer. We have female artwork, but it's only used for spin off material, and Demon Avenger got official art only as a male as well. There is a small cutscene with f!Demon Avenger in it though.

Also, I ordered the book and it has started to ship today. I'll let you know if anything good comes out of it.

10. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

Demon Slayer had the alternative female opening .avi so it's actually recognized as being able to be both genders.

11. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

Outside of "There's actually multiple Arans," or "It gets surgery a lot," I'm not sure how they can address it in a way people will accept it outside of, "Well we just can't decide."

12. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

You'd be surprised at the effects you can achieve with shapewear :P

13. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

In Aran's case it takes a lot more than just somme shapewear.

Neither Aran's male face or female face have any hints of the opposite gender in them so you can say Aran can pass as both. Then you have the fact that male Aran's hair is really short and female Aran's is really long. And don't say a wig because it is obvious that female Aran's hair is real.

14. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

Pff, they're really chibified cartoon characters. I think it's fruitless to say whether something looks "real" in this style; it relies a lot on visual shortcuts and isn't meant for those kinds of distinctions. Let's not turn this into a rehash of the Demon Slayer thing with people measuring chibi skirts >_>

15. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

The fan book is really interesting. There's even Maple Book (Maple's version of Facebook LOL)
    In the fan book you can find some early sketches from buildings and classes, interviews and novels:

& for Freud lovers out there:

''But Afrien. Don't sacrifice yourself for me.''

Source: http://sldn7177.blog.me/60178557667

16. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

Whoa that looks pretty neat! I'd buy it if there's an English version.

17. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

I'm praying for more images and english translations of this book.

18. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

I would totally buy this if there was an English version but seeing that there isn't L> translations.

19. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

For those wonder, Male Aran is used in the comics like seen above. The 4komas use both though. And she's in with the school attire thing too.

20. Default Re: Maplestory "secret story"

Fuk, not even Nexon's official handbook can decide on Aran's gender!