1. Default Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

Is there an easy way to make my new 120GB SSD a boot drive while still keeping all of my data and settings on my original 2TB HDD? I really don't want to lose all of this data, but it looks like a clean install of both drives might be the easiest possible way to do it. I've already tried messing with partitions and using the intel cloning tool, but I was having no luck with it. Thanks for any help!

2. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

If you mean only booting off of the SSD and then accessing all your directories through the second hard drive the way you would if you only had one hard drive, I don't think there's an easier way than linking file paths using registry edits. If I were you I'd just install Windows and any important programs on the SSD and set that to your default boot device. From there it's up to you to designate a file path for anything you want to download or install if given the option.

3. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

So you're saying the best way is to just start fresh? Should I be backing my HDD up and wiping it also?

4. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

I don't see any real reason to do that. If it's 2TB I imagine you're in no danger of running out of space, and even if you are I can't imagine 20GB of windows being a big deal. I would just keep it as is and change your SSD to your boot drive in the BIOS.

5. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

Install your operating system on your ssd before doing anything else.
    you can't use it as the main drive if it contains no files, let alone any type of formatting.
    back up your current main drive, install os on the ssd, wipe the old drive and make the ssd #1 boot priority in bios.

6. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

Is it possible to change my C drive file location on my SSD so that it redirects to the C drive on my HDD? That would make everything so easy.

7. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

It would, however that is not how computers work.
    Nor is there such a thing as a c drive file.

8. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

I tried what you said gumbo. I installed W7 on my SSD then plugged my HDD back in, but its still booting off of my original HDD. I changed the boot sequence numerous times, I currently have it set at SSD, DVD drive, HDD, yet it still loaded my HDD as a primary drive. Its looking like I might just have to wipe my HDD after all.

9. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

Before you go wiping your drive, when you first turn it on check for an option to select the boot device. For my HP laptop it's F9 but on my DELL desktop I believe it's F12.

You set the boot order in the BIOS correct?

Also try pressing F8 right before the BIOS finishes and see if you can choose your OS that way.

10. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

Just tried that to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion though. I think what I'm going to have to do is move all my wanted programs, docs, pictures, and movies over to another partition within the HDD then delete the original partition, thus deleting the OS from the HDD. Right now my computer seems to be running windows twice. I get one loading screen that quickly flashes to another identical loading screen(I'm assuming the second is the HDD).

11. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

deleting the C partition won't do much, as you will leave registry data in the D partition that makes C and D work with each other, giving you the risk of faulty software once you get the SSD going.

my recommendation is that you pull out the 2TB drive, insert the SSD, load up your PC with your DVD-ROM as main priority, install the OS on the only available partition(being your SSD), then plug the old HDD back in, assuming you've wiped it(the old HDD) first.

12. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

If you boot with both hard drives at the same time, depending on which is set to priority you will booth one or the other by default. IMHO, I would back up data from the 2tb hdd, and just wipe it. Registry files wont reflect on the new SSD, so installed programs wont work correctly by default if you boot from the SSD.

TLDR- Backup and wipe the 2TB HDD, love the SSD.

13. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

I've got w7 already loaded on my SSD and everything. Do I just plug the HDD back in while the computer is running, then continue to format it?

14. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

no, always power down your tank before you tamper with it.

if you've backed up everything, you go to the OS managing part of the OS installation guide, and wipe the old HDD clean, then reboot.

15. Default Re: Installing SSD for boot drive, original HDD for data.

Thanks, that should be all of my stupid questions for now. You've all been a big help!