Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Puerto Rico votes to become 51st state in U.S.

I’d like to point out couple of thing here being a puertorican myself. The truth about this plebiscite is that it was us to attract pro statehood party (PNP) goers to go vote for the current governor. Due to the way the governor ran the country in a republican way large part of the society was against him. As a mean to attract his main partygoers they idealized this.

This thing was divided in two things; one was if you would like to stay with the current status or change it. In the case of changing it you would have 3 options to vote, statehood, independence or something the PnP called sovereign commonwealth. The other main party (PPD) goes by the ideology of keeping the commonwealth as it is, this party was not represented in the plebiscite.

If you take a look at the total results from 1,730,245 voters 802,179 where pro statehood, now due to the way this thing was constructed both pro statehood and pro independence party goers are claiming a victory.

2. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Re: Puerto Rico votes to become 51st state in U.S.

@Kamala; I think this explains it.
    http://gulfnews.com/news/world/other...hood-1.1101431

Looks like the whole referendum was a wash.

3. Default Re: Puerto Rico votes to become 51st state in U.S.

You forgot the bit about "irrespective of your first answer, mark the option you would prefer on the second one (paraphrased)". That is the major issue I have with this plebiscite. If you are content with the current status, why answer the second question? A second option in case ELA suddenly implodes into oblivion? Plus, people fear independence (for good reason seeing how, sadly, we are a long way from being self sufficient), no one knows what sovereign commonwealth even means (lol), so obviously you are left with the least scary of the alternatives that is statehood. Or you can spite the whole thing and not answer the second question like many people I know did.

Not to mention, you are getting mixed votes of those who voted yes (who obviously do not prefer changing the status) and no on the first answer. The whole thing imo is a clusterpineapple. The only useful thing that was taken out of this plebiscite was the fact that people wanted change, and that they don't know what the pineapple they want. (Which is not surprising seeing how the main political parties only deal with the status without delving into what the pineapple they want to do with PR.)

Also, I'll be surprised if the US government even considers letting PR join the union. I'm PRican, and I wouldn't turn my beloved island into a state knowing how pineappleed up things are here. We will more than likely be just another welfare state with how the current things are. And giving us even more aid without providing an incentive for our lower class people to strive into becoming a working middle class is going to harm us more than do us good.

Heck, nowadays there's really no reason to be a middle class besides preserving some kind of obscure working pride. At least not when you work and live to pay your monthly electric and water bills (a whooping $300+ bill monthly for an average middle class household in electricity alone). If I'm going to live to work like an ass and pay bills without being able to enjoy the fruits of my labor due to economic and time constrains, I might as well just get myself an apartment in a public housing and live off foodstamps. Heck, people on the housings have better cars than I do, so it can't be that bad.

UFFF. There. I had all that pomegranate bottled up inside me for a long time. It feels good to just explode. Blow a fuse. Now I'm late for calculus.

4. Default Re: Puerto Rico votes to become 51st state in U.S.

I believe the references to 'first state' in the news mean first to legalize it via popular vote (instead of just the state legislature making it legal, which is what existing ones had)