IGN: ThatWasMyKil
    Server: Bera
    Level: 203
    Job: Battle Bishop
    Guild: Inspired
    Alliance: Virtus
    australia

Default Myth Debunking

So who's heard the whole you can find your IGN in your temp folder on your computer and that's how you get hacked story.

Can some one please explain why maplestory leaves temp files with your IGN in there and if they really hold any secure information.

2. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Myth Debunking

The files contain crash information which is supposedly sent to be analyzed to find what bug caused your Maple to crash.
    They're in the temp folder because they are temporary files which may be deleted at any time without harming any of your programs or data. That's what the temp folder is for.
    They are identified by your ign and the crash time, because whatever programmer decided on the name figured that would make a good unique file name that helps remember which file this is when you're just looking at the directory listing, without actually opening the file.

I don't see any reason for these files to contain any secure information.
    Also, files on your computer can't normally be read by other computers on the 'net, unless you have malware on your computer, or visit the wrong pages, or have poorly set up file sharing options.
    But if you don't like them, just delete them as soon as they are created (when maple crashes).

3. www.thatwasmykil.com
    IGN: ThatWasMyKil
    Server: Bera
    Level: 203
    Job: Battle Bishop
    Guild: Inspired
    Alliance: Virtus
    australia

Default Re: Myth Debunking

Its not something I'm worried about, as you said:
    I would just like to have a reply to people on my buddie list that start freaking out when they see it. if it was at all true i should have been hacked long ago there are a ton of them in there! :)

But thanks for your post it explains alot :)