IGN: ZidaneKun
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 18x
    Job: Luminous
    Guild: Integrity
    Alliance: Excellence
    usa

Default Horntail Solo/Duo

Hello everyone =) So Chris and I have been attempting to duo horntail. We have been twice now and it is obvious we are doing something wrong.

Now let me start off with the fact that I used to go all the time PreBB and horntail in a group. Chris never had the opportunity to do that. I know about entrance order and seduce, but I can't fathom how someone solo's horntail. We are average players. We have been playing for 5 years or so. We don't have amazing equips, but they are decent. What are we doing wrong that we cannot duo horntail?
    WovvltzChris: 180 BM
    SekushiKun: 193 i/l mage

halp?

TL;DR

How does one properly solo HT?

2. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

Legs > tail > wing/right arm > heads > left arm.

Make sure to keep the summons for seduce survival.

*By left and right, I mean your left and right.

3. Orbital Bee Cannon Gay Male
    usa

Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

Ok but how do you not get seduced/survive 1/1 rock/ mob? I don't understand =(

4. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

Use hero's will as soon as you get seduced, don't wait for 1/1 since you can't use it after that, summon a Mutant Snail if you have one, it can heal you during seduce and 1/1, if you have special m.att pots like cheese, use it during the left arm phase since is the most critical part and when most people die, you can use the BaM capsule during arm or make the BaM cast it on the I/L if he get seduced, just follow Locked order of killing and you shouldn't have many problem, everything else depends on luck.

5. Orbital Bee Cannon Gay Male
    usa

hes a BM bowmaster. also i didn't think about 1/1 and not being able to use Hero's will that makes sense now. lmao Because you don't have mp. anyways is there a specific place to stand where you wont get seduced or you just have to use hero's will?

6. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i prefer saving my HW for when the arm is about to die, since the CD on sed is muchsmaller so i HW and rush the arm.

as said, the mobs alive at the bottom will hit you reducing the chances of getting 1/1'd, apart from that, pure luck

7. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

I go on my BM all the time. The most important thing for BMs is having max E Puppet and IS. IS will save you from a lot of 1/1s and other attacks. E puppet's 20% damage reduction means that you may survive even if you get 1/1.

Some more tips: do not kill the cornians or wyvrens. The invincibility after hitting them saves you from HT attacks (including 1/1) and rocks when you are seduced. So do not use summons until after both arms are dead or the summons will kills cornians and wyvrens.

Since BMs have a lot of %hp, the +hp alchemist potions make a big difference and I highly recommend them. Having Mutant Snail familiars which can heal you even during seduce are a life saver as well. be careful though, familiars can cause the game to crash if you climb ropes with them out.

Maxing willpower and getting a DS card will give you extra status resist which prevents seduce.

I strongly disagree with Locked's order. Killing the 2nd arm before heads means you will not be seduced at all for the rest of the run and simply using potions keeps you alive at heads. This is really important for classes that are frequently seduced and/or have low hp.

If you're experienced, you can see the 1/1 animation before it hits and only use HW if it would hit you.

As a rule of thumb, I'd say you need to be able to kill the legs and tail before the first seduce. Otherwise, you just won't be able to kill fast enough to survive (excepting very durable classes).

There is no where you can stand to avoid seduce or 1/1 at the body. However, standing at the bottom on the far side at fake heads protects you from 1/1 (and possibly sed, idr). You can stand there during weapon/magic cancel.

8. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

You're probably doing good, is just that BM and I/L are two classes very susceptible to die of sed + 1/1 due to the lack of high avoidaibility or any skill that protects from 1/1, so luck is a big factor when you can't get rid of the seduce arms fast enough, keep trying with what you learned or try to improve your range some more to kill faster during the seduce phases.

9. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

Unless something changed (doubt it), the left arm's seduce does not reach the top right corner. I afk'd all the time there with no problems.

10. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

That still works, your order is perfect to avoid seduce during must of the run, and everyone I know who solo HT do it that way.

11. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

I always have puppet out and dont have maxed IS yet :[
    Ive always used my phoenix and Ive never considered not having it out because it is a [little] boost in damage over time.
    I use a Mr. Alli card and I also have a +1 sec invincibility neb on my top.

overall the info gathered here will definitely help josh and I

12. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

I'm a level 200 Mercedes and I have little difficulty soloing Horntail because:

- Water Shield does blocks 30% of 1/1 so I actually have 30% HP left even after a sed 1/1. Then I just need to wait a while for my natural regeneration to kick in then I can use Hero's Will

- I don't kill Cornians at the bottom. Even if I get seduced I tank the cornians so the 1/1 won't hit me most of the time.

- My killing order is Legs -> Tail -> Wings/LeftArm -> Left/Middle Head -> Right Head -> Right Arm. I don't really get why most people like to kill the right side first because you get knockbacked to the left, and so standing on the left is easier. If you follow my method, once you kill left arm, just stay on the left and you're seduce-free until you kill all the 3 heads (shoot the right head from the 2nd highest platform on the left). Once all the heads are dead there will be no 1/1 and you can kill the right arm without worrying about seduce.

13. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

^They kill right side first and leave the left arm alive so they can easily wait the rest of the 30min time inside for drops. Classes with high avoid generally don't care too much about the order in which they kill though.

14. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

Is there a difference from that and killing left side first and leaving right arm alive? that's how I've always done it but I've only done HT as a shadower and phantom.

15. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

knockback would be the main reason i'd guess, since magic attacks push you right, making you fall from the plats if you're on the left side.

16. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

Doesn't really matter what arm you take, if you finish before 30 minutes you'll need to wait to get drops at which point you can just sit on the ropes and you can't get bumped off of them since 5 or 6 patches ago.

17. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

I am curious here - Why leave an Arm for last? My typical order has been to do the heads last, even if it means waiting for the 30 minute timer. Is there a tactical advantage to leaving the Arm instead?

18. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

The arms don't do any actual damage. Assuming your skills have the range to hit the head on the opposite side (where you are apparently out of range of the opposite arm's seduce), there isn't any reason to kill it.

19. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

Ah. That will work well for my Evan. Thanks!

20. Default Re: Horntail Solo/Duo

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE MEMEBERS OF SP THAT CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD.

RESULT: