Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

There was hardly any to begin with.

2. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

There was much more then than now, that is at least unquestionable. Nexon should have expanded on that instead of this insane streamlining they fancy.

3. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

• Modified exp curve: while preBB was not anywhere near reasonable, the current exp curve is on the other extreme of being too easy. I'd like the exp curve up to fourth job to increase slowly and make the exp required to get to 200 much harder in comparison. Without broken mobs (e.g. Jesters, Aliens), with more high level training spots (other than LHC and SH), and without the plethora of exp multipliers/events that we have now, the current exp curve is almost reasonable. Almost.
    • Quest system that is worth doing. Quests that give valuable item rewards or valuable experience are preferred. More effort should be made to tie in quests with Maple lore rather than just corny jokes. The lore shouldn't be contradictory either...
    • Modified touch damage system: First I'd like to see knockback velocities that scale with player defense and monster attack. Get rid of the invincibility state while modifying monster attack strength and frequency.
    • Fix the pot system: Put recover speed (hp/mp recovered per second) all pots at all times. Cheap, readily available pots can heal slowly, and rarer pots can heal quickly with moderate cooldowns or just be incredibly rare. The healing values of pots should be scaled accordingly (% pots would heal very slowly) and make pots which have higher heal amounts and rates for higher levels.
    • Fix defense, avoid, accuracy, stats: There should be some value in defense, avoid, etc.
    • Re-balance classes: While making some classes unusable in some situations is bad, there should be some degree of interdependency of classes and unique strengths.
    • Replay value: Rather than making content that becomes boring or useless after the first few times you play through it, make content have scaled rewards or semi-dynamically generated content.
    • Diminishing returns: Give a large initial benefit for monetary investment in order to entice players to pay (it's unreasonable not to consider Maple as a business) while decreasing the cost:benefit ratio as the amount of NX increases. Can also make 'equivalent' content which is F2P with a much higher time cost, if botting could be controlled or minimized.

Since it's pointless to discuss specific numbers and values without actually trying to balance everything to make things reasonable, I'll describe the changes in terms of desired effects:
    • Exp curve: Casual players reach 2nd job within their first day of playing. Reach 4th job within a month or two. Be able to participate in half or more of the end game content(~160 by current content levels) by the end of the first year of playing.
    • Quest system: Something like 60% quest, 20% PQ and 20% grind to level. Make purely grinding reasonable, but make questing the most efficient way of leveling (but limited).
    • Make it nearly impossible to be killed in one hit unless going to an area which is too high for your level. Amount of player control needed scales up slightly with level of content. Squishy, non-mobbing type classes trying to solo a large mob would be suicide without a huge investment in defensive stats. Funded players should be able to solo end-game content but with great difficulty. Rather than a system where you need fast reflexes to pot or a high enough base HP to survive, "difficult" content would be places where you receive damage at a higher rate than pots can recover.
    • Implement some sort of reward for higher leveled players to revisit low leveled areas/PQs.

4. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

Add more hyper buff skills. Some of the ones they choose were just plain stupid. And choose more utility ones than damage.

Also revamp 2 job for adventures. For archers and Warriors and maybe mages(not really) their 2nd job are practically identical. varying in like 1 skill. You should get a taste of what a job line is in 2nd job and then 3rd and 4th amplify this.

Honnestly though I would like to see a overall of the classes, monsters a maps. Revamp most classes so each one has its only unique style (some already have a unique thing). Then revamp monsters accounting to the classes so u can actually use all the skills a class has(hello useless skills like seal). And finally revamp maps for both the monsters and class can move comfortable in them.
    Reason: Im kinda tired of knowing that 70% of the classes seem to behave like one another. Though I will grant that Nexon seems to be spouting out actual new classes, even if they are alittle crazy.... And I think this is the most complete way to do it. Because even if u have new classes. if all the monsters are the same it still will be the same.

Extra: add more bosses you can challenge solo without the need of a party in expedition. Game is become more solo oriented. Nexon should true make it so. even though it would crash some items worth.
    Also Get ride of the Bullpomegranate suppy parameters. There is no pineappleing reason for empress to only be killed after the 50min mark, Ht requiring you to wait 30mins or have 5 people in the cave. +any others. Its the dumbest pomegranate ive ever heard of (end rant)

Please dont bash me @Takebacker;

5. Can you hear it?
    street's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: Street
    Server: Windia
    Level: 15x
    Job: I/l mage
    Guild: Imperial
    Alliance: Royal
    Washington

Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

They put those in because of the hackers that were going crazy before. No delay hacking, boss fade etc

6. Lead Ball
    IGN: Killmeplsok
    Server: Cassiopeia
    Level: 181
    Job: Captain
    Guild: LoveOfCari
    Alliance: LoveOfCari
    malaysia

Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

This is true.

At least in MSEA, most people still spent months to 200.

7. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

oh. well then that makes sense. guess there was a reason for it. Still find it stupid though

8. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

I admit that I much prefer the newer EXP rates. It puts the game at a pace where I'm not bored to tears grinding at Sakura Cellions, Sand Rats, or what have you all afternoon to gain half a level.

I'm not a fan of how the game massively rewards players who dump massive amounts of cash into cubes. There's so little camaraderie in the game at this point. It's so driven by a single players own gear. Not their skills, or their ability to work with people or anything. The game is completely driven by each individual person paying (x) sums of money in order to have the best gear.

I liked the MapleStory I played back in 2006, but I like the EXP rate now, and, admittedly, I enjoy a fair chunk of the new content, and even a reasonable amount of the new classes. I'd just rather not pay through the nose to reach and enjoy a lot of endgame content.

9. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Clearly you never played a BM in PvP. It was absolute trash and the only way I ever killed anyone was if they were too busy killing other people to notice my piddly damage with Inferno. At least with potential included, I can kill some people.

Removing the invincibility after hits is an interesting idea, but tanky classes with lot's of damage a la DS will just completely unbalance everything and my BM would just hold down pots during hurricane This would be better if there were actual tanks in the game that could take/mitigate damage for the squishy classes.

The problem with "revised" servers is everyone has a different idea about what was good about the 'old' maple and what should be kept from the new.

Reverting to v45 (or the version of your choice) will not magically repair the game community. There will still be selfish jerks hacking the game to oblivion, very strong people doing way more damage than others, and Nexon there to pineapple everything up.

You can dream about your perfect imaginary server, but reverting in any form will never happen.

The changes I would like to see to current maple:
    Class utility. Even if some classes can be funded to solo bosses, which I'm mostly fine with, each class should have useful buffs/features to promote partying so low-mid funded players can experience the same content.

Remove initial (P)SOK requirements on (c)htp and (c)zak helms. It's just silly that SOK are 80% of the price for these items...

Make stats, other than str/dex/int/luk, useful. 100% agreed with @CrazyForDex; I want my insane accuracy to do something useful!

I'd like to see more jump quests.

I'd like to have quests revamped to have worthwhile rewards. Other than the 2 remaining gfa 10/60% quests are there any worth the time? I can't think of any... Revamp quest exp as well.

Make the forgotten/desserted towns alive again. KFT/Aqua/Omega etc have tons of content that could and should be used! Put something there worth going for

I would like the conversion from mesos to nx, and vice-versa, to be stabilized. Since there is absolutely no way for me to buy cubes using in game currency, I'm forced to trust others to buy nx... This is bad for everyone involved. There needs to be a secure way to convert from mesos to nx for this game to even pretend it's "free to play". I'm OK with people paying to get ahead as long as I can work harder/longer/better to eventually get the same benefits.

10. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

That bothers you? Then take off 9/10ths of your equipment and go with your guild, you OP f'uck.

If you really are bothered by it you wouldn't have gotten to that level to begin with. You're following the trends of the game like Nexon wants you to, yet you sound like those who will never get where you have.

It's ok to deny that you like getting stronger especially after the fact, but it's dumb to say that when you are part of the player base people complain about when they address the problems of this game. You act like you can't do those things just because you feel the heat when you try to play without what you worked so hard for.

If you actually cared about the time it takes to kill something and who you do it with like you say you do, you wouldn't ever be killing everything you wanted to in less than an hour. The fact that you have that ability proves you're more bothered by NOT soloing every boss in the game in less than 10 minutes.

Sounds like an accusation. (on top of assumptions :P, you bad boy you)

And right here proves you're unsure the kind of progression this game is taking pre-BB vs now. What used to be an accomplishment of gaining EACH and EVERY level is now an accomplishment of gaining multiples of levels or other accomplishments that hold merit to the player. Of course accomplishments were always subject to what the player feels is important to them but if those accomplishments are too difficult to achieve for the greater audience who aren't hardcore into this game, then that's bad for the game as a whole. Systems like character deck would not only suck due to the effort needed to receive paltry boosts but make no sense if it took 4 hours to level per level.

Competition is dead? Are you serious? Players find their own ways to compete with each other on top of systems designed to encourage that competition. Dojo, PvP (regardless of whether you think it sucks), mini-games within the game itself and events, ppl2pass, etc.

There is end game content. There has been for a long time. What you mean to say is end game variety, which is entirely different.

I said one person playing one class is capable of soloing bosses under 20 seconds, not that one person in the entire f'ucking world is capable of soloing bosses period.

And how is this different from real f'ucking life again? People who spend more than you whether it be time or money will always be ahead, along with those who cheat. Get used to it. It won't help your argument here that's for sure.

If soloing bosses in X sec/min removed all fun from the game, then why are people still getting to that level huh? Clearly it must be fun for them. It's not like they're playing the game at f'ucking gunpoint.

Also news flash. Might be an eye opener i know. Just because a couple dozen at most people in the entire world can solo really high level bosses doesn't mean bosses aren't still a group effort. Just because some dude overseas can kill every boss as he pleases doesn't mean every single character can solo zakum, or horntail, or empress. The potential existing to solo everything doesn't automatically remove party scenarios, it just makes it optional with hard work and dedication.

You aren't even acting as if the solo mentality was never there. People have literally ALWAYS wanted to do things solo, even back when we had FoG and people wanted to have their own maps. People will ALWAYS choose the option of doing something by themselves if they have the ability to, and that ability existing makes people want to get there. Giving that ability to the players isn't a bad thing, it only becomes a bad thing when the only way to get there that doesn't take years exists solely inside your pockets.

If you don't believe there is class diversity and utility, then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Try not to assume my mood.

11. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

There's lots of class diversity and such, different ways of attacking, different ranges, different buffs, summons, etc. There are classes that are certainly better at things, rushing, mobbing, buffing, soloing, and so on.

At the same time, it still feels to me that at this point, the ultimate goal of every class is to do as much damage as possible, in the shortest amount of time possible, and there certainly are classes that are predisposed to do that better.

~Angelic Buster~

So while classes are different, it feels to me as if they don't really do anything different.

12. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

I have to agree with takebacker here. If you want any sort of challenge then unequip yourself, give yourself a handicap. The game isn't entirely based around 5000$ characters, yet.

And no, the pre-bb EXP was ridiculous, having to constantly grind 24/7 and leveling every month in later stages?? No. The only good part was bosses that didnt suck EXP wise.

13. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

@VerrKol; One of the arguments is that BMs and WHs highest damage skill doesn't function like it should in GMS lag. MMs and Mercedes were perfectly functional.

And you can't stop people from dreaming about something better; all you do is try to kill the fun.

14. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

I think the biggest problem with Maplestory is how it became pay to play a little more with every patch, and there's no much Nexon want to do about at that at this point since even when the game is way more boring for a big part of the playing base they're gaining more money. When the best gear of the game is unobtainable via drops you know that the game took a really bad course since the biggest element of a RPG should be character progression (and we all know that level don't matter much in maple anymore), and to progress a character in this game at the current state you need to relay on nx.

Not everything new is bad, I love a lot of the new additions, the crafting system, the new exp curve, the personality trait system, inner abilities (it can improve), but for the game to improve they need to make rewards and drops more interesting and accessible, even if you need to work for them a long time. I'm thinking about maybe a permanent special shop a la Renegade Shop that sells cubes, epic scrolls, equips uniques in stats etc. The coins can come from killing certain bosses or doing certain repeatable quests, maybe improve the drop rate of unique items on not farmable monster/bosses. Another problem is that the game have a best gear that make everything else unappealing instead of having a different sets with different bonuses that make them attractive for different scenarios, like for example, there can be a set that improve exp gain, there can be a set to improve attack speed or critical damage, another set focused on high defense and hp, etc.

For me what the game is lacking more at this point is:
    -Better rewards from boss drops and party quests
    -Better boss difficulties that requieres team coordnation
    -Better quest system
    -Less generic skills for all classes, specially on party buffs

15. Deluxe Refrigerator Straight Male
    IGN: Blackraven16
    Level: 176
    Job: Fire/Posion
    Guild: Osomga
    usa

@Sephie; I just realized the true problem with what you want. You want a FREE game to be balanced around a PAID feature, its been said plenty of times balancing this game around potential is stupid as fk.

16. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Job: Lolmaster
    usa

I really like this idea. Giving players a way to possibly obtain cash items or other very valuable/sought-after scrolls through in game means (while also giving the option to pay nx for those items) would be a great way to balance the game. Nexon could easily introduce this shop feature and if they made it so the number of scrolls/cs items you could obtain per player was limited every week, it would still give people an incentive to buy nx if they do not want to wait and save up for the items.

Your set effect idea was interesting too, but it really comes down to the fact that Nexon needs to make stats that aren't the four primary stats worth something to players. If defense, accuracy, etc. are not worth my while to obtain, then everyone is just going to go for the highest damage-increasing set effect, like they do now.

17. Default Re: If Nexon Released a "Revised" Server, How Would YOU Like it to be Done?

That's the whole problem. Although I agree with steve with a few things, I disagree that the game is okay. The reason everyone wants BB back is because back then, you could work within the game and be successful. Now you can't. You hack, buy crap from hackers, or buy tons of nx. There's no feasible way to get a decent range in GMS anymore, without those methods. Mesos have become worthless, NX is the best functional way to do trades, and there's no reward from just playing it anymore.

Seriously, make a level 1 character, get it to level 70, do it with no NX, and I'd say no help, but frankly no one is going to help you anyway. It's just unnecessarily hard.

18. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Job: Lolmaster
    usa

I agree, but making a character to level 70 without nx isn't that bad. The exp you get from NLC mobs is so great that even with minimal equips, getting to 70 does not take much effort.

Regardless, the fact that there are basically zero ways to legitimately to make money/get stronger without spending nx could be countered if Nexon actually felt like getting creative or taking a very small hit to their profit margins. Making bosses drop cubes is one way, but honestly I feel that @Pactur;'s shop system would be a pretty good way to give players an option of obtaining cash items with mesos or boss/quest drops. Nexon has the ability to make their game work better for the majority of their players, but considering KMS does most of the coding and KMSers said they want more and more classes, it seems that is all we will be getting in the upcoming future.

19. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    usa

I disagree that the game is okay as well though. If only because of the business model that was in place since the beginning, but we all knew gachapon and cube variants were a huge scam anyway.

It's ironic that the game's challenge now happens when you attempt to limit yourself from the ways to make it easier.

20. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

Wow lots of angry, entitled people. Okay, quick punch list:

EXP: The original curve was terrible, the current curve is maybe too terribly easy, or maybe, as some have noted, just right but stupidly decimated in the face of gross multipliers easily available across the board. Ultimately there needs to be a balance.

Let's just discuss it this way: I agree that, the days when it took some of us 60-80 hours per 19x level, were terrible, and the gain was way too slow then. But today I'm seeing people gaining 19x levels in, what, an hour? That's absurd. Leveling should be a rewarding accomplishment, but also something casual players can do. That being said, casuals, I'm sorry, but I do think there needs to be some challenge involved so it's not terribly ridiculous for those who want to play more.

Potential/Equipment: The idea celebrated in this thread by many that such absurdly powerful players these days should just handicap themselves by unequipping their gear is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard about an MMORPG. In an online world where the game is constantly changing, no one should ever hit a ceiling where making the game more fun means undoing the work and accomplishments they made (here in the form of gear) to get there in the first place. Those of you championing such a notion should be ashamed to be so warped by MapleStory's terrible design to think that's a viable solution.

And I'll call you out: @Takebacker, you yourself have a pretty strong Cannoneer with a 200k+ something range, capable of quickly soloing bosses. I guess you just enjoy being an "OP fuck" yourself?

All in all, the potential system destroyed this game, and anyone who doesn't agree is kidding themselves. Your wallets and the golden age of GMS' community as a whole were the expenses paid for exorbitant individual strength, so on the level of reality, no one wins with this system.

Skills and Formulas: Those major two negative post-Big Bang aspects aside, there were a couple great changes made to the game with the update, notably skill and formula changes. Now that's not to say rebalancing patches since have fixed everything (as in most cases they've made things worse by simply pumping classes with more firepower than they need without actually addressing normalized balancing issues relative to PvE conditions), but that the base changes made were absolutely necessary and welcomed. Base changes including putting every class, physical or magical, on the same basic damage formula, and changing all skills to work on a % basis.

Really though, this game has gone to pomegranate. It is and has been a private server for at least a year, and what's perhaps the most disappointing is there are enough of you still wasting time and money to keep it going. The funny thing about private servers back in the day was that people would play them for maybe a couple hours tops, and then quit because they were so absurdly unrealistic, what with people taking no damage while soloing HT in 5 minutes or whatnot. Now that statement's a common reality, and yet so many still play like it's a part time job. SMH.