Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Default Transfering stuff from HD A to HD B

And with that i mean that i don't really want to install anything, but make a carbon copy of HD A to B. What would be the best way to do this?

Also HD A have some troubles with reallocated/bad sectors and i want to know if making the carbon copy its a bad idea compared to just reinstalling everything.

2. Default Re: Transfering stuff from HD A to HD B

You could probably burn a live CD of one of the available HDD ghosting programs and make a backup of HD A onto an external or something and then swap A with B and take the ghost you made and put it onto HD B.

3. Default Re: Transfering stuff from HD A to HD B

I use a program called EaseUS Todo Backup to make a clone of the drive on a seperate location and boot the machine off of a usb flash drive created with the program to restore the machine on the new hard drive.
    I don't remember the limitations of the free version/if it'll work for you, but here's a link anyway.

Tl;dr: Backup hard drive onto a 3rd harddrive, swap original hard drive with new hard drive, boot off any USB thumb drive after preparing it using the program, restore the image of your hard drive to the new one.

4. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    venezuela

Default Re: Transfering stuff from HD A to HD B

To be more specific, i need to transfer at least 300-320gb of data composed of installed games, drivers and stuff you have to install and write pomegranate in the windows registry, and i need to move them with windows registry intact, so those games and programs continue to work normally. (So most likely i will need to change drive letter assignation since C: its not windows 7 default partition but an old install of Windows XP i had for legacy)...

The more i try to think about it, the more my head hurt.

Edit:Saw the above link and i think i found what i need: Clone my HDD, its simple enough since i won't need a third HDD to do anything.

5. Default Re: Transfering stuff from HD A to HD B

The program I tried to link (and failed at doing so at first :P) backs up your drive as a whole, complete thing. Drivers, games, everything. Then it provides the utilities you can use to restore it to a different hard drive. I've done this several times with no issues using the premium version of this program. (I like to swap between an SSD/Other kinds of laptop drives between my equipment a lot).

Again, you'd just need 3 hard drives that have the same space you need (300gb or so, as you said) and a usb thumb drive to boot off of after switching hard drives.

6. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

I may use this one since im getting a Western Digital HDD and its free too.

Someone knows if that one will do the cloning directly from A to B without needing a Third HDD? (Since if i clone the whole disk it will actually be about 800-900gb of data, and i don't have any HDD with that capacity)

7. Default Re: Transfering stuff from HD A to HD B

The program I use may not need a third hard drive, just in my experience I've been using it on a laptop with one drive bay.
    I don't know much about that program, but it looks promising. The way it's written, you should be able to do a direct copy.

8. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

KK will try that one, i hope this HDD last long enough so my new one can arrive to do the migration/cloning.