Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

Default Re: Hurricane Sandy Discussion

Incredible shot of the blackout in NYC (click to enlarge):

Also, some people (allegedly) broke into a subway station and this is what they saw:

2. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

Jesus...I'm praying they can get public transit fully running again in the city by next Tuesday, but only time will tell.

3. Default Re: Hurricane Sandy Discussion

I don't think some of you really know much about hurricanes, but it's not too surprising since media coverage regarding hurricanes only happens when one is going to make landfall in the US, and it's not something that most people really learn about in the first place.

This doesn't matter. It isn't very uncommon for tropical storms to do more damage or cause more deaths than hurricanes. What matters when it comes to tropical cyclones is the size of the storm, how fast it is moving, and where it makes landfall. A category 5 hurricane can do less damage than a category 1 if it's much smaller and/or faster. Irene did not do a lot of damage to New York because by the time it got there, it was a fast moving tropical storm. Meaning the winds and rain were not around long enough to cause much of an impact to the area.

This isn't always true. Or rather I should say, it's usually not true. While the several islands in the Caribbean do typically get affected by tropical systems more often, storms are typically moving at an average/above average speed while out there, and the islands are all rather tiny in size, damage is usually not very large or long lasting. On the other hand, by the time a storm gets to the US, it is usually stronger than it was while it went by/through the islands. Often storms will slow down before/after landfall on the US until picked up by a frontal system, causing storms to drop a considerable amount of rain, while producing strong winds and dropping tornadoes, on a much larger landmass.

A good example of this is, Hurricane Irene, from last year. Irene went through/by the Leeward Islands, Puerto Rico, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic as a tropical storm and category 1 hurricane causing around $570mil in damage to those islands. It continued to strengthen, and get bigger in size, and while it did make landfall on North Carolina as a category 1, it was a much larger storm and was somewhat slower moving, causing as Locked quoted earlier; $15.6b in damages.

While Isabel did cause a considerable amount of deaths, it caused $15.4b less in damages than Irene did. It made landfall with 20 more MPH winds, but it was a much faster moving storm.

Hurricane Sandy, or rather Post-Tropical Cyclone Sandy is an incredibly massive cyclone that has combined itself with a considerably strong cold front that just moved through the US, and it's moving at about an average speed. Due to its size and average speed, it has quite a while to have its rain and wind affect the US. It only made landfall on New Jersey yesterday evening, but it's already caused 13 deaths in the US, and 81 total. It is not a storm to underestimate. They never are.

4. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

My friend sent me this:

5. In my dreams... Gay Male
    California

Here's a nice list of real vs. fake photos taken (or not taken) from Sandy.

6. Default Re: Hurricane Sandy Discussion

I live on the coast of Virginia and I don't think it's bad at all here.

7. Default Re: Hurricane Sandy Discussion

I just find it amazing to see a city like NYC to be pitch black like that.

8. Default Re: Hurricane Sandy Discussion

Still raining but the power is back. Was out since yesterday afternoon.

When we got hit it was late last night like between 12am and 7am. The rain was essentially sideways, winds hit like 55 mph, it was pretty bad lol

9. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

10. Default Re: Hurricane Sandy Discussion

So
    I live in manahawkin.
    About three miles from the coast, and it's unreal here.
    The devastation on long beach island is incredible, let alone the surrounding areas
    people focus on atlantic city but

the ocean completely washed over LBI in several spots and met the bay.

This raised the water level of the bay
    and there's
    a little waterfront community called bayville
    about two minutes from where i live

which has houses completly underwater
    I'm running off a backup generator and using the 3G connection on my cellphone to send this message.

I've escaped the flooding, but
    To anyone else who got caught in this, good luck.

11. In my dreams... Gay Male
    California

Internet's back on. I've not lost power whatsoever but internet and the landline phone were both down all day (but oddly enough cable TV was fine).

I've only seen actual footage of Seaside Heights, NJ and Point Pleasant, NJ, but I imagine it's a similar picture up and down the coast. It's absolutely devastating.

12. Default Re: Hurricane Sandy Discussion

a bunch of crazy pics

http://imgur.com/a/4PPqA

13. Default Re: Hurricane Sandy Discussion

Power and services are back
    Thank god

14. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Is this guy serious?
    I can't tell...
    The amount of stupidity concentrated in a single person is HUMONGOUS

15. In my dreams... Gay Male
    California

16. Default Re: Hurricane Sandy Discussion

There's so much worse...so much worse..

Not saying your article doesn't scream retardation..but how amazing how many of these people are important.