Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Maplestory & Windows 8

Last time I tried to run Maple on Win8, it didn't work. That was around the time of GMS 1.10. Has Maple been made compatible with Win8 since then?

2. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Maplestory & Windows 8

How long did it take to compatible with 7 again? Like 2.5 years? Silly to think it would work when 8 isn't even out.

3. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

Windows 8 has been available to the public for a very long time as a public preview. The game wasn't officially compatible with Windows 7 for a long time, but it still ran. Under windows 8, it wouldn't even start up. There is a major difference this time around.

4. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

Were you running it in a VM?

Up until now, I have heard that it works under W8 just fine.

Either way, I would suggest skipping W8 (like Vista), it seems too gimmickey and not worth the hassle (like Vista).

5. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

MS had the most issues with Win Vista, not 7. The problems were mostly resolved when 7 became standard.

6. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

Windows 7 always worked perfectly for Maple when I used it, and that was from beta.

ot: I don't know the changes for W8 or anyone who is currently using it (and playing maple) :(

7. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

The WIn8 preview couldn't even be run from a VM (annoying). I was running it on a standalone PC.

I may not have a choice in upgrading. I have to keep the same OS my office is using so that I run the same development environment. I'll see if I can find a spare HD and try it again with a newer Win8 build.

Nexon's official position in the Nexon forum is that Maple isn't compatible with Win8.

8. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

I ran the first RC in VirtualBox, no problems. That's why I asked.

Think about it from Nexon's point of view. If they say "Yes it is compatible", then they will be under fire from thousands of children who are experiencing problems.

If they say it isn't (even if it was), there is nobody who can get mad at them otherwise.

9. Proton Straight Male
    IGN: JustFezXD
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Battle Mage
    Guild: LunarKnightz
    Alliance: RegalKnightz
    Oklahoma

Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

I like how you're comparing it (to Vista) when it is not even close (to Vista). Have you even tried Windows 8?

10. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Well apparently the joke with windows its that they release a good version, then a bad version, then a good, then a bad, ad infinitum. Windows 7 Is the good one, so i don't have any interest in 8 :P

That being said if MS doesn't run in windows 8, its gonna take a long while to get it working.

11. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

W8 became I joke as soon as I read this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19760977

Even if I'm given a free legit copy (which is likely) I don't think I'm going to use on any of my systems.

12. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

They fixed Windows 8 compatibility a few patches ago.

13. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

More recent Windows OS releases are in somewhat of a tick-tock fashion, good version, bad version, good version, bad version etc (like what FenixR said).

Yes I have used Windows 8. I've been a RC tester for the past 2 major Microsoft OS's.

14. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

The correct answer is maple is compatible with win 8 , but hack sheild IS NOT. Kinda surprised the reason is so hidden, when win 8 runs a older program designed for winxp or even win 7 ( i think) it runs it virtualized. Hack shield doesnt let maple run virtualized.

( slowly microsoft becomes another apple -_-)

15. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

I upgraded to Windows 8 on Saturday and I can't even get Maple to start, even with compatibility mode.

16. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=242045

just ran that even microsoft says it wont work
    Last edited by LigerRed; 2012-10-29 at 12:48 PM. Reason: wrong link

17. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

I wonder if its evil for me to think that Win8 is the death of Maplestory.

18. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

its not really nexons fault, hopefully they respond fast and allow virtualization again. i think win 8 is the death of gaming in general....

19. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

I think it's optimistic of you. It's a cockroach that just won't die.

20. Default Re: Maplestory & Windows 8

There isn't much of a technical difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 besides Metro and its extensive use of XAML, iirc. So I think it's kind of funny that it doesn't even run.