Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

Just curious, a buddy of mine recently said Paladin's use 2H swords just to look cool as opposed to actually using them.

I've never played a Warrior class, so excuse my ignorance when it comes to warriors.

2. Helium Atom Straight Male
    IGN: Combobro
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 230
    Job: Aran
    Guild: SolarWinds
    Alliance: Dominion
    Arizona

Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

Shields are better for paladins period. Without shields about half of their defensive skills are unusable and considering the fact that shields can be scrolled for attack and can have potential, I would say that they are much better then 2h swords.

3. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

White Knight skill Shield Mastery doesn't work when a shield is not equipped.
    At max level, Shield Mastery triples your DEF and adds a 20% chance to block enemy attacks.
    Paladin skill Guardian has another 42% chance to block enemy attacks, when a shield is equipped.

4. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

As long as you don't have a godly shield, you'll be fine with a 2H weapon until you get enough skill points in 4th job to max out the +attack skill for shields (the name eludes me at the moment). Then it'd be a perfect time to switch to sword and board.

5. Sassy Stranger Male
    IGN: SlayerZach
    Level: YES
    Job: Paladin
    Guild: Phoenix
    Farm: SlayerZach
    canada

Don't forget the 30-32% passive Status Resistance on Guardian as well.

You're probably thinking of Divine Shield. Unfortunately, it doesn't require a shield to be activated. :v

6. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Level: 275
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Going by the skill description in-game, that doesn't depend on a shield being equipped. Only block does.

7. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

You don't lose "half" your skills. The only thing you lose out on is the chance to block and some WDEF/MDEF. That's it.

The only time it's really imperative to have blocking is maybe at Empress.

Other than that, blocking is really over-glorified; Paladins are invincible with Achilles, Power Guard, and especially Divine Shied alone. With enough STR and equips dumping DEF at you, you can cap WDEF without Shield Mastery.

The only significant advantage Shield has is that you'll be using a 1h weapon... which means you attack faster. That advantage disappears as soon as a Buccaneer joins your party or if you have a combination of BaM aura, dSI, Inner Ability speed boost, or you're using a stonetooth.

But if you cap with a 1h setup, then 2h becomes absolutely pointless in every respect since no advantage exists anymore. Only thing left is uniqueness or prestige.

8. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

Adding a shield gives you like 6 more lines of potential too, which I judge to be significantly better than a perfect 2 hand C: Though it also costs more money for that type of stuff, but if you can perfect scroll a 2 hand sword, I assume you can perfect a shield and 1 hand sword.

9. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

The 2h multiplier makes up for that. Unless you have a godly 18+ watk 15% STR shield, you can achieve better damage with a 2h BW with 1/3 the cost of the shield. I didn't even include a 1h weapon either so it's going to cost even more.

And when secondary weapons release... Well, it hasn't yet so whatever.

10. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

Just a little question... With KMS getting secondary equipments, what about rosaries? They are for Paladins, and MAYBE since they made it so 2H users don't miss out, MAYBE they ironed the differences between 2H and 1H.

11. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

Shield skills do not work when you wear a rosary instead of a shield. You'll make up the loss in potential lines, but that's about it.

12. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

Then now it's fully a matter of defense VS damage... Interesting.

13. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

Shields can get weapon potential as well.

14. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

But not the damage multiplier of 2 handed swords.

15. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

Maybe getting the damage potential, with Defense buffs, along with scrollable W.ATT scrolls might make it up?

16. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

I was wondering when someone would ask this.
    Okay so, i'm probably the only freaking two handed mace Paladin in entire Windia that's actually funded.
    I have to say that if you really go for it (And with this I mean fundings) you wont lose out on much. People
    who always say you lose half your defensive stuff are forgetting where 80% of our def comes from. Divine shield.

And to boot, even without a shield I still have 9999 def so it's perfectly possible to have AND good defense
    and being two handed. And yes 30% status resistance works without a shield. I can garantuee this after having done
    VL so many many many times.

Be awesome, go two handed.

17. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

The 10atk you get, and by you, I mean Palies, and by get, I mean will get, from Shield Mastery makes up for the difference in base attack between 1H and 2H weapons, not to mention the attack you can get on your shield. The difference between the 1H and 2H multipliers, 1.2 and 1.32, is like, 10%. I personally don't believe that that's enough of a damage increase to sacrifice all the shield skills for, but it should just be a matter of preference, I personally prefer 1H Sword+Shield over a 2H weapon.

18. Default Re: Are Paladins Gimped when using 2-H swords VS Shields?

Uhm... Then this brings a whole new idea. They should revamp it a bit, and for all shield related skills, have an alternate skill effect for rosaries.

In fact, they should do more of those kind of choices... Like with bullets, stars and arrows.

19. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Oh really???? Oh wow I should start putting points there if I get my Pally to 13x+.

20. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Which won't really matter when you have 140+% Boss damage and are capping with everything.