Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

Im just going to jump straight to the point.

Do masculine/macho gay guys exist ?
    Do effeminate straight guys exist ?

Spoiler

[HIDE-REPLY]dont ask about my sexuality at this point, im mostly bi-curious and you know.. curious. I find effeminate/girly girls attractive as well so idek ????????????? [/HIDE-REPLY]

2. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

.....of course they do.

Same for butch women who are straight and femme women who are gay or otherwise queer.

It kind of breaks down once you get past men and women, but I mean. For the binary genders, it's just harder to pass as straight if your natural tendencies don't fit gender roles.

3. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

although i have seen more masculine women who are straight, i honestly have never seen straight guys who act all girly. metrosexuality doesnt count because even though they take care of their appearance, they are not flamboyant and they dont those cute hand gestures.

4. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

Yes, to all of your questions.

It's hard for me to not say more, though, as I deeply despise these topics, because they downplay individual sexuality and what it means to be LGBT, but understand their point. As in, a "straight-acting gay" is theoretically stupid, because it implies that gays shouldn't be themselves and are abnormal for not representing the mannerisms socially construed towards the gender binary, but realistically it's one way to describe a mannerism type.

I think I just hate describing it as "straight-acting gays" - I'd much prefer simply "masculine" or "effeminate"

5. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

I really appreciate Froznlite's way of saying it. While there are stereotypes that some people do fall under, it all depends on that person's individual sexuality and personality. I think it also might be how and where you are interacting with the rest of the world. Do you live in an area with a decently sized LGBT community? Do you go to a school/college/etc?

6. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

I've wondered the same so many times. Though it might be a very particular case, one of my closest buddies is pretty effeminate and straight. Also, according to seven people that know me well, I'm difficult to tell if gay. One of them even thought I was homophobic, yet I never gave any reasons for such thing and never tried hard to hide it.

7. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

I'm a pretty straight acting bi/gay guy. Nobody can tell until I tell them. I hardly have any effeminate traits at all. The guy that I am seeing is pretty much the same too, he has no feminine traits at all (except maybe that he likes some pop songs).

My friend considers himself a homophobic gay. he hates camp or effeminate guys, but he's a bit of a strange example, because he does have some really feminine traits, which you wouldn't notice if you just met him. Spend some time with him though, and he gets gayer and gayer. He's a weird mix of mannerisms and opinions.

8. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

And men aren't supposed to wear skirts or enjoy girly activities, even though it's okay for women to wear trousers and enjoy boyish activities. Our society devalues femininity to the point men are mocked for taking on feminine roles and behaviors, so of course you're going to see far fewer guys -- especially those who are straight or in the closet -- acting in a feminine way.

FTR, the only crossdressing guy I've ever known was straight.

9. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

date me

10. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Already dating someone, sorry ;)

(Felt good to say that)

11. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

12. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Of course they exist. Do masculine guys exist? Do effeminate guys exist? Just apply the same "divisions" to gay guys and you've got masculine/effeminate gays.

And the whole "acts straight/acts gay" thing is profiling and stereotyping. It's unfortunate it exists, but it does, and people use it.

13. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

Your post is obviously exaggerated but it's because masculine gay men are harder to spot than effeminate gay men. Of course it's going to seem like there's only effeminate men because they are the ones who openly show their sexuality. Masculine men are usually low-key because they just don't have the mannerisms of the stereotypical gay man.

I probably come off as flamboyant here but in reality I'm not very effeminate at all so no one suspects otherwise. I don't try to hide it, I just don't showcase it.

14. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

People love to describe sexuality as:

When its more like:

You can't put people into boxes.

15. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

Excellent commentary with regards to gendered emulations in our contemporary society and their intersection with gender identity, sexual orientation, and sexuality. It's one of a million reasons I'm an outspoken feminist.

Also, Ellie (@Felicitates') visual comment above is perfect. I just want to screenshot the body of that post and push it through social media and print channels a million times over.

16. Default

I put my Jack in the box, dude never came out.

17. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

And yet even more labels.

18. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

but science loves boxes

your friend and I have a lot in common

19. Default Re: Mannerisms vs. Sexuality

Old and overused. It is incorrect.