Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

"Unquality" traits don't justify a beat down.

2. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

Seems to know a lot more than us. It looks like everyone here blindly defending because she killed herself without exactly knowing why with the only story they have to lean to is the video she posted. Now, I'm not saying suicide is fine and we shouldn't care but I can't sit here and lie to myself and say that this suicide matters to me. People die and kill themselves hundreds of thousands of times a year and there is nothing I can do about it. Why is this girl's story more special than everyone else who has committed suicide from bullying? I don't think she's special at all or that her story is remarkable. The only time I would really have a strong empathetic feeling toward a suicide like this is if I knew the person personally and I could have prevented it. This isn't clear in here because I don't know her.

3. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

@above I totally agree. You guys feeling sorry for her would be surprised to know the amount of teenager suicides due to bullying that happens each year, but doesn't come out in medias because the parents don't want it to. And some of them are way more sad than some girl showing her tits on the internet. Also, some people may find what I'm going to say horrible, but the victimisation of bullied people just show every other teenager who is getting picked on out there that killing him/herself will help her achieve some sort of greatness and that everybody will talk about how sadly he/she died. TL;DR, feeling bad for bullied persons who commited suicide just encourage other bullied persons with a dramatic mind to do so. Stop trying to make it look like the bulliers killed Amanda. Nope. Amanda killed Amanda. And she's just another teenager who died, like the thousands who die from hunger in Africa every day.

4. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

I see where you're coming from. However, the bullying does affect the individual. Thus, it affects their actions, and can influence them. However, she did make the choice, but she might not have made the choice if the bullying never occurred.

I am in no way defending her though. I really can't find much sympathy for those who have sex for reasons like that, and the way she's probably acted. I do agree though, that I wish she tried to reach out to the right people and change herself in time before all of this escalated.

5. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

A victim is someone who get's attacked for no reason than being different. She was assaulted for her actions, disrespect and inconsideration of boundaries More than once it seems as she had to switch school multiple times.

No but actions that continue to taunt for a reaction do.

6. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

The bulliers have a part in that, of course. But calling them murderers is way too extreme.

7. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

Eh, just seems like he's putting his own perspective on what we know in the video. I could be wrong, of course.

------

For the record, I'm not saying we should all be bawling our eyes out. As you said, you don't know who this person is. I just feel that people just need to be more open and understanding of the situation and the subject itself. There isn't need for bawling, and there isn't need for a stony heart.

8. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    IGN: Sn1perel1te
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 152
    Job: Old School BM
    Guild: EbonSol
    Alliance: In One
    California

Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

I will never understand why bullies do what they do.

Regardless of her foolish mistakes, the fact that she was bullied, and on top of that the bullying followed her, is the only point that needs to be looked at. She could have easily not done any of the things she did, and still have been bullied. Thinking back to my own cases of being bullied, I had it light compared to her, but I dont think I would ever agree with suicide. In the end, its still a sad end.

9. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

Why yes bullying is bad. And yes its very sad she died. But in a lot of ways she could've stopped so much and made things better in the end. Why she didn't press charges is kind of beyond me. Considering during this day and time internet bullying is in fact a criminal act. In which she could've seek justice while she was alive. Or even her parents. Which for some odd reason decide or seem to ignore the issues occurring with their child. Knowing she went to the hospital for suicidal reasons.

But if you look at it. It wasn't smart to really pose nude infront of random people either. Surely she knew the consequences of her actions considering she was barely 13-14 at the time..what she doing on random chat sites anyway? Didnt her parents teach her anything? Surely they cared somewhere along the lines. Then again they seemed kind of non existent in the story. I mean after all I would think as a parent if you knew your child/young teen was being sent to the hospital for drinking bleach, doing drugs and alcohol. That you would seek help for your child. Great help at that.

In the end I do feel sorry for her like i said in the start of my post. But, some of the things she did honestly was like 'wtp?' and pretty much asked for a lot of things coming to her. She had a voice and choose to keep her mouth shut.

And just saying im sure the guy she mentions in the beginning is the guy she 'hooks up' with.

But these are just my two cents on the whole thing.

10. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

Just a note: one of the reasons why bullies are bullies are, for the same reason as what a couple of mentioned about the girl - they want attention (not so much), respect (some bits, obviously perverted), power (usually), and boost their ego/self esteem [whichever applies, idk the difference] (almost always the root cause). From my view, bullies and the perpetual bullied victims are both problem childs, with the same roots to their problems, but have to be dealt with differently. Again depends on nurture and nature.

Sad to see one go like that; sad to see problem children; sad to see people not putting on their 6 thinking caps. I'm not crying actually - this is the world and I'm in it.

Hadriel
    Last edited by hadriel; 2012-10-13 at 02:23 AM. Reason: crappy grammar

11. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

pomegranate, I was bullied as a child up to my highschool year because i was different Which resulted in very few friends, being a lone wolf most of the time, etc. But I never once thought of doing some of the crazy things that were listed in the video And I came out just fine and with better friends in the end.

I just don't see where people think its 'okay' to kill yourself off because youre not getting the attention. Or whatever you desire that youre looking for in life. Its just crazy and stupid. Just deal with it and it will get better if you dont half ass your progress.

12. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

Story of my life, actually.

The reason you probably came out on top was because you're part of a generation who had lived in a more coarse society when friends and family are more united, we were raised tougher back then. Today's society, in my mind, is far more separated and weaker, leaving people more prone to shyness and a lack of self-esteem.

13. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

Yea thats pretty much true. And the lack of logic and too gullible in obvious situations with obvious consequences are far too prone to this generation Not saying its all people of this generation of society. But there are people out there like this.

14. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

I didn't even care about the girl initially: what prompted me to actually defend her was because a few posters here immediately dismissed any merit to the story and some went as far as to assume what was actually true when in fact they don't know pomegranate.

I agree with Locked in the notion that it's good to have a healthy amount of skepticism for stories like this, especially since we don't really have a lot of details other than that video... but this notion goes both ways. Some posters here went beyond skeptic; it's like they've already formed their stance by only reading the article title.

15. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

My sister knew this person as well as many of her friends and they had no idea about the bullying and cutting. It was definitely a shock to them and the entire school.

16. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

While I do not disagree that it is sad that she took her own life regardless of how low of an opinion I have of her, what gets me about this article is how it went out of the way to use all of these qualifiers such as 'heart-breaking', 'tragic' and 'devastating'. Is this article reflective of those words? Why, certainly- if all it takes for an outpouring of sympathy is to kick common sense to the curb, find yourself being unable to handle the consequences and taking your own life instead of at least attempting to seek help (Because you know, the smartest way to get yourself out of a steaming mess is to broadcast yourself on Youtube!).

I've read many a suicide case that was far more tragic simply because the eventual victim did their best to seek help but no one would understand and help and their issue was something they could not help. This is not one of them and I certainly hope that more focus will be given towards how to lend support to everyone suffering from bullying and encouraging them to open up to the right people rather than to exclusively focus on this one girl and imply that it is okay to act like this because there ARE supposed to be negative consequences for being a complete idiot in a place where everyone can see you.

I don't think she deserves quite a bit of the names she was called but I couldn't be fussed to give too much of sympathy either.

17. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

I bet people committed suicide over bullying before "This generation" too. You just wouldn't hear about it even 10-15 years ago because it would be extremely unlikely to get anything more than a glancing mention in the news, and it just wouldn't happen in newspapers. Nowadays, the internet lets these sorts of stories get more exposure.

18. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

You people read this so shallowly, you see "bullying" then cry victim. Disregarding the whole topless thing, let's look at what "put her over the edge.". She switched schools for a 4th time, trying to save her dignity, right?

Aren't you a little skeptical of the reason why she contacted a specific boy, well aware his gf wasn't around, one from the first generation of bullies, and just randomly up and f`ucked him? I feel as though this was intended spite, and of course she's going to get her ass kicked for it. She begged for a confrontation, typical cat fight scenario. Why the hell would you get jumped for "flashing" and I would think some people would be understanding that "sh`it" happens.

I'm really skeptical of new stories like this because locally my neighbor john who graduated high school, saw a JR in highschool thought he was gay, and posted it on facebook. He went to the high school to kick this kid's ass and the 17 year old hit him once, hard enough for him to fall down and he hit his temple on the cement and had a seizure. All the kid did was defend himself, yet the news story made it sound like he was this malicious attacker, and poor john managed to survive. It's the medias job to milk sympathy of whoever got the worse outcome, even if the person was a drug use ready to shank someone to get a drug fix.

19. Default Re: Amanda Todd Suicide

That's mostly what I thought too. Flashing aside, a lot of the other details are just glossed over and one other article even blabs about how apparently what she did isn't wrong simply because females are encouraged to act that way, which is ridiculous because 1) The whole issue in the main article has to do with how she eventually committed suicide over the cyber bullying and 2) Regardless of peer pressure it doesn't change the fact that one chooses to do something.

It's still harassment and bullying to be sure but I don't buy that this flashing incident was the only thing that caused it. And yes, if she has a history of banging random guys or whatnot I'm sorry to say this but it's nothing short of idiotic to not expect that people would retaliate.