View Poll Results: Know anyone who came out on 10/11?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I came out on 10/11

0 0%
  • I know someone who came out on 10/11

3 12.00%
  • I know OF someone who came out on 10/11

0 0%
  • I don't know anyone who came out on 10/11

13 52.00%
  • I don't know anyone who came out

9 36.00%
  1. Default Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

I don't think I know of anyone who waited until 10/11 to come out to anyone else.

Do you?

2. Default Re: Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

Nope.

Not a big fan of it myself. Bit of a slap in the face to them as lives in situations where coming out is seriously risky.

3. Default Re: Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

I don't really agree with that. The point of coming out is doing so when it's right for you, and clearly if you're in a situation where it's going to put your life in significant and imminent danger coming out isn't right for you (yet). That doesn't mean other people shouldn't.

4. Default Re: Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

What I mean is that the emphasis on coming out as part of the queer narrative doesn't actually match the lived experiences of many queer people. I know several Asian-Americans who have zero intention or desire to ever officially come out to their parents, for instance, because they'd rather work with their parents' turning the blind eye than start a long and fruitless confrontation. And for me, personally -- someone who does want to -- that emphasis taunts me with what I can't have.

//edit: Coming out is also not really a one-off deal? Plenty of folks have talked about having to come out repeatedly to different people, especially if they pass for straight and cisgender. And "coming out" about sexual orientation works differently from "coming out" about gender and gender history.

5. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

Default Re: Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

I'm SURE I know someone who has come out on 10/11 in some capacity, but I'm not remembering any specific people off the top of my head right now.

For reference, I didn't wait either...per se. I came out at the end of October, as that's when I was comfortable, and didn't even know National Coming Out Day existed at the time. Would I have come out then had I known, though? Probably not, but who's to know.

Also, @Cere, while I agree with your contentions regarding people who have no desire to come out to certain people, I believe the point of this day is to encourage people to come out in some capacity, if they feel comfortable. It's main purpose is not to guilt every queer into telling every person in their life who they are, but in all honesty to give an extra nudge to those teetering on the fence or trying to figure out exactly when to come out by creating a moment when they can feel a part of a greater movement. And that's not to say said people are or will come out to every last person - a successful coming out day, to someone, may mean simply telling a brother or sister they feel comfortable with and trust, or hell, even PMing myself or someone else.

The idea is talking about who you are with at least one other person, so as to deter those from continuously bottling up their identities and suffering the consequences that result.

6. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    IGN: Sn1perel1te
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 152
    Job: Old School BM
    Guild: EbonSol
    Alliance: In One
    California

I believe my friend said she came out last year on the day at an event the club she was vice president of (now president, LGBT club) was putting on for the day.

Though, she said she "accidentally" came out.

7. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

She was VP of the LGBT club and wasn't out already? How does that work?

8. Default Re: Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

PFLAG?

Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.

For one.

GSA?

Gay Straight Alliance

Don't have to be gay to support gays.

9. Default Re: Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

Wow, didn't know there was a day such as this.

10. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    New_York

UPDATE: A few hours after posting above a good girlfriend of mine came out as bisexual. So my vote falls in that category now.

11. Default Re: Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

So move it.

12. Default Re: Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

No one has ever come out to me before. I don't have any irl gay friends that I know of anyway.

13. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

I've only had one person come out to me and i don't think he wanted to make a big thing out of it outside of telling people he wanted to tell in person rather than through something else.

14. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    New_York

Oh WORD! Has that feature always existed or is it recent? I don't think I've seen the option before...hopefully I wasn't just painfully oblivious.

Paul, I have to tell you...I'm gay.

Spoiler

15. Default Re: Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

Been there 6 months to a year I think.

16. Default Re: Does anyone actually come out on National Coming Out Day?

My friend told her mom. Her mom did not take it so well, sadly.