1. Default Dual Blade versus Zakum. What range is needed to solo?

Harro.

I made a Dual Blade recently, but the times I'm playing, no one is online. That being, I'm thinking I might have to solo Zakum for skill books, assuming Polantaris is too busy to be online for it at any time. I don't really have anyone else I can rely on, sadly, as all of my JP friends seem to have quit (why does this always happen to me?).

So... Sitting at a 12.6k range (clean) at level 111, how much of a chance to I stand against Zakum, at a scale between 'not a snowball's chance in hell' and 'you can do it no problem?' I know I could fight Zakum with no issues, except for the fact that there's that damn time limit. I have no idea if I have the right amount of damage to kill Zakum within the time limit.

Additionally, what would be the best method of DPS, if I decide to try it before 4th job? I'd assume Chains of Hell for single targets, but multi-target DPS seems to be a blur for me. Flying Assaulter + Bloody Storm seems to be the best multi-target DPS, but that requires moving around the map. Upper Stab seems like the logical answer, but it seems to fall short in comparison to the other two skills.

2. Default Re: Dual Blade versus Zakum. What range is needed to solo?

upper stab is best for multi targeting, COH for single, I guess.

I'd wait for 4th job.
    blade fury

3. Default Re: Dual Blade versus Zakum. What range is needed to solo?

Upper Stab is? Hmm... It seemed to be weaker than the other two when I went to Monster Park and Sengoku Oogassen, but I guess that could be an illusion between fun and tediousness.

I was considering waiting for Blade Fury from the beginning, but I really want to benefit off of Zakum for experience to get to 120, rather than sticking to the monotonous Romeo and Juliet grinding.

4. Neutron
    IGN: ShyBladder
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 19X
    Job: Blade Master
    Guild: Goomba
    Alliance: AdventureE
    finland

Default Re: Dual Blade versus Zakum. What range is needed to solo?

Killing arms with Upper stabs is just terrible. Imagine yourself killing top right arm with it's horrendous range, low damage and getting knocked down constantly. Well, the last part might not happen anymore with the avoid update, but that's what I remember from my pre-4th solo.

In all seriousness I'd wait until 4th job and Blade Fury+Thorns. But if you do want to do it before that, yeah use Upper Stab for arms and toss in a bloody storm every now and then when you are on the ledges, so you can avoid some attacks and not fall down. 1v1 I suppose CoH should be the way to go since it doesn't require Dark Sight anymore.

Gl&HF :D

5. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Seriously, do yourself a favor and just level to 120. Your DPS at Zakum will go up like crazy with just one point of Blade Fury as you rip up the arms in record time, in comparison with 3rd job skills.

6. Default Re: Dual Blade versus Zakum. What range is needed to solo?

Okay... I tried it and I have nowhere close to ever possibly soloing Zakum at my level.

18,900 range. Level 121... I didn't manage to beat the arms of Zakum until around 29:00 remained, and the body... With the constant super defense up spam and the inability to use Chains of Hell, due to the fact that mobs take priority over the boss who was summoned first (f'ucking game mechanics), I don't stand a snowball's chance in hell at soloing Zakum... I'm going to be a Phantom Blow-less Dual Blade for a very long time, it seems.

The top-right arm took 10 minutes by itself, because Chains of Hell simply does not work on it. Blade Fury doesn't have enough range to hit it half of the time, so I had to keep switching between Bloody Storm and Blade Fury, timing Blade Fury so it would hit when the arm came closest to me. This sh'it sucks. Without Phantom Blow, I can't solo this guy and to get Phantom Blow, I have to solo this guy.

7. Orbital Bee Cannon

Just buy Phantom Blow then? I mean, the book costed me 150m here in GMS, it shouldn't be that much more expensive in JMS, unless the people there are crazier about Dual Bladers than here. Then you just gotta hunt for Final Cut, and you will get some nice EXP and other Dual Blade related books in the meantime.

8. Default Re: Dual Blade versus Zakum. What range is needed to solo?

Karma Scissors in JMS cost 1,500 NP, which is the equivalent of about 18,000 NX in GMS. Absolutely no one sells skill books in the market, nor basically any karma scissor-requiring items. The only choice I have is to hunt for it.

9. Default Re: Dual Blade versus Zakum. What range is needed to solo?

I always thought the oldest monster takes priority, especially if you're already hitting it. Maybe that's only with Enrage/Roiling Soul. Honestly, I don't have much experience lately outside of Warriors, but I'm pretty sure this is the case even with my Paladin and DS using their mob skills.

Even in GMS, and this is mostly because I don't buy anything I can earn myself, I tend to wait a while for skills that require books from Zakum. My Aran are 144, doesn't have a single one of the 3 he need. Maybe you should just do that, get as high as you can without the skills, and save points, then go and try to solo. Either way, good luck getting your skill books.

10. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

and i thought gms's prices were cancerous. I was terribly wrong.

11. Orbital Bee Cannon

What. The. Frick. That NX ratio.

I'll never hop onto JMS due to this alone. Regardless, you're pretty screwed then, since Phantom Blow is leagues above the DPS that Chains of Hell and Blood Storm can deliver (seriously. I cleared Red Leaf bosses about 3x-4x faster with Phantom Blow than with Chains of Hell spamming), not to mention WAY less of a hassle to use it (no need to constantly reposition or to get screwed for a mob to be in the way). Alternatively, you could try to see if someone can sell you the 1.5k NP for a pair of scissors, and solo Zakum on your Viper/Hayato until you find the book. Transfer over, and you're pretty much set for bossing.

Man, never knew how bad it can be for a class to have their primary bossing skill(s) only drop from Zakum.

12. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Can you camp at Door to Zakum and ask whoever passes by on the way to solo, to tag along for the book?

13. Default Re: Dual Blade versus Zakum. What range is needed to solo?

Having played a DB so long, CoH always targeted the closest thing to you instead of the biggest target in your face. That's why mobs screw you over. As for blade fury part, I haven't done zakum on my DB at all after db revamp, I should probably test it out. From memory, you'd use bloody storm to get yourself to the edge, and then spam whatever attack skill you got on it. I know phantom blow should easily reach.

The avoid part for DBs and Shadowers doesn't shine until mid 4th job since that's when you'd start investing in your avoid skills like shifter and mirror target.

14. Default Re: Dual Blade versus Zakum. What range is needed to solo?

Is 40k range and 90% boss enough?