Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

Since when have we cared about how much money Nexon makes? Besides Nexon makes money from other games besides Maplestory. Nexon doesn't have to resort to making a pay-to-win game in order to make money. See Guild Wars 2 for example. Ideally players should only be able to buy convenience and cosmetic items from the CS. You shouldn't be able to pay for more damage. Players should be rewarded for skill and experience not how much dollars they have.

Btw I hate this pineapple and pomegranate point system. You shouldn't be down-voting because you disagree with a opinion, but when a post adds nothing to a discussion (memes)

2. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

We're on the internet. It's been "every man for himself" since day one. If you don't like the way I argue, then go bark up another tree.

I'm about done with this idea anyway. Nexon has a policy of "RUSH NEW STUFF, NEVER LOOK AT OLD STUFF" anyway, which explains why HT took 2 years to fix, why Zak/HT still have JQ reqs, why every big boss has channel limit instead of being instanted to accommodate the power creep, why skill books weren't removed from existence before Cygnus Knights came out, etc. The only exception being classes themselves, which were revamped to prevent mass quitting.

3. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

I think this is at the heart of many discussions concerning the potential system and/or hypothetical reforms. We're talking shoulds, not ares, but some people will lend more importance to player experience and others to business success.

I'm curious about GW2 -- I faintly recall the first one was subscription-based, no?

Sure, and it may lead to drama and so forth in the hands of users who list toward the vindictive. But that discussion's over and done :/

4. God of Terrorism Straight Male
    IGN: Bomber123
    Server: StranInSCA
    Level: 202
    Job: Terrorist
    Guild: Noctivagant
    Alliance: I dont remember
    Farm: ExpiredMobs
    usa

Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

Untradeable would be best.
    And most bosses can be killed 1-2 times a day max.

5. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

I'm not insisting that we should care about the money they make, but many users continually negate that Nexon is a business. Their actions are made in what they view as their best interest. Believe it or not, pay-to-win works for them and, regardless of if you agree with or like it, that's how it's more than likely going to stay indefinitely. I see this as underhanded, sure, but objectively speaking I'm not going to slander them for being a business that's trying to make money.

If anyone has a problem with the system in place, albeit broken, you have the option to not purchase those items with your NX. The game is perfectly enjoyable without playing to win, but if you're a person who's playing the game to be competitive, unfortunately it may be time to realize Maplestory isn't for you. I wonder how long it'll take for the player base to discover there's not enough complaining in the world that's going to change Nexon's business model which has, thus far, worked tremendously well for them. Sure, they make plenty of money from other games, but that does not by any means insist they should ignore Maplestory as a property of equal or greater importance when it comes to their profit margins.

As I side note, you said it yourself. "Ideally," sure, it'd be nice, but comparing Maplestory to GW2 is not a very apt decision--their demographics and business models are worlds apart.

6. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

But that's literally the point of Pineapples and Pomegranates; Pineapples are for when a person would merely say "I agree" and Pomegranates are the opposite.

7. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

I think you might've misunderstood what Nexon is. It's a company. People work there to make a living, not because they want to dedicate their lifes for fulfilling the most wild fantasies of the playerbase.

Potential should be nerfed and cubes should be cheaper but Nexon removing their best cashcow completely is just naive.

8. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

rather than adjust higher level stuff, I'd rather see the acquisition of epic potential stuff to increase(so overall chance to get epic be higher than normal) as it doesn't add onto the riches damage(as they would aim higher) but overall increase the damage of the lower funded people. Epic Potential scrolls and Items that reveal on epic(event weapons, maple weapons on red leaf high(makes a decent epic rate %age), class hats, quest hats(like neo city hat)) was a decent step in the right direction. and I mean cmon, unique potential scrolls are already in the data, might as well make epic the new rare for ~6% stuff.

9. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

I think you might have misunderstood the point of this topic. People are informally suggesting different scenarios that would change the system for the better. They are proposed scenarios that promotes positive change by trying to save a terrible system with compromises while my informal suggestion is to simply get rid of the terrible system which, imo, is the best case scenario for the playerbase, however unlikely the scenario might be.

It's a thought experiment, not a professionally edited proposal that would be on the agenda of the boardroom at Nexon that was promised to be highly considered. I don't see other people in this thread grading posts on how "realistic" it might be since everything in this thread is just personal opinion and what they feel is best.

It seems that people like you are taking these posts way too seriously.

10. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

In that case, it should have been entitled "Pipe-dream for potential done right" and been posted in the MapleAdditions forum, where all fantasies and wishful thinking go.
    "Suggestion" generally implies that it's being presented to someone who can implement it, and stands a chance to be convinced to do so. You can't fault people for trying to view such things realistically.

11. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

Not going strictly by the thread title, but the contents of the posts and the way they were written before me may as well have been "pipe-dreams" and constitute an informal thread. In that context, my post wasn't that far off. Plus, read the bolded part "is just personal opinion and what they feel is best".

I admit, my post was meant to be satirical (despite it actually being the best case scenario in my opinion: another reason I wanted to post it) but it seems some people don't appreciate these kinds of posts and take it for face value.

12. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

Whether I like it or not is irrelevant, it's the fact that your assumptions are clearly uneducated.

See the thing is, when you say nexon, do you know who you're talking about? Nexon KMS from my understanding has these problems but fix them with a small patch, the problem is, nexon america, struggles with this content, as they have no real communication besides "Translate this patch/#'s to your regional game". There are a lot of public complaints about how the company functions inside, how it's english vs FOB korean, how there's more managers than employees. With those facts you can assume that the content not fixed is either not reported properly, unknown to them because KMS isn't reporting those problems, or just frankly don't have the time because they are preparing the next patch for KMS.

These have problems since like 2009, if you really can't tolerate it, stop playing, that's called an adult decision, you aren't proving anything by playing then complaining. "BUT I still tolerate nexon, hoping you'll hear my complaints and set the game up as I want it!". It won't, doesn't, and can't work that way.

13. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

That was towards both Nexon America and Nexon Korea.

and I did stop playing. I think I might come back at the beginning of tempest patch to reset all my characters skills, then uninstall until either the game dies or a different company that isn't run by investors magically buys this game out.

14. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

Different regions are handled very differently...so this investor comment is just a poor justification, very poor.

15. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

Then why don't they just sell perfected items in a seperate shop, so the cash shop goes back to purely aesthetic items and you can pay a fixed amount for weapons? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd actually like that more than the current system.

16. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

They can keep the system as as is, but edit the system so that you won't get irrelevant stats on the equipment. No getting int/luk for archer equipment, str on mage equipment, etc. Make monsters drop cubes at the rate of a piece of time or even dream fragments. Make them untradeable of course and only useable on equipment that are epic tier and below or so.

Just make it so the player doesn't feel like they're wasting their money completely based on luck and chances. That would be my guess on why people would complain is because the odds of getting something they want is extremely low that it feels rigged. Make it more fair and reasonable. Dragon Nest is sort of like that as they sort of have the same potential upgrading system, except the stats you get are always relevant to the item. It's pretty common to see posts from people saying they have spent 30+ dollars on cubes and get nothing useful out of it. While it is the player's choice to do all that and Nexon is a business, there should be a point where both can be made more fair and reasonable to be accepted by both.

Many people would argue that Nexon would be a bit of a dirty business because they seem to prey upon people's lack of self-control, the urge to become competitive against other players, and addiction to get stronger in the game, in which are mostly targeted at younger audiences.

Anyway, bonuses to accuracy and avoid are junk only because the stat system for them is junk. If they made them more useful, then maybe more people wouldn't mind and complain about getting them. They could even implement accuracy and avoid into the damage multiplier or formula for some classes that would actually benefit from having lot of it.

From Pre-BB times, accuracy actually mattered to extent, archers were actually needed for certain mobs to be hit that other classes couldn't. It mattered to especially for warriors that actually bought stuff with accuracy on them. Now, the accuracy is based on level range and the accuracy stat is pretty much useless. Other stats like defense and avoid won't matter that much either unless you have a lot of it. Some classes will never be able to achieve that much for the player to even care about it.
    Speed and jump can easily be maxed by other methods than cubing equipment for them.

17. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

Quite. Given a choice between getting rid of "junk stats" or dejunkifying them, I'd personally go for the latter any day. Complexity is nice!

18. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

They never had an intelligent method of implementing them, and it's silly to handicap someone in every way possible to force you to rely specifically on a class or level. Even in pre-big bang, all it did was handicap you to a maple weapon that had accuracy on it, or made it slightly more tedious for warriors.

19. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

Can I make a non jokepost real quick?
    I've been screwed over by Nexon so many times in this game that I straight up don't trust them anymore to be able to fix things. Furthermore, I don't think it's even possible at this point. There's so much with the game that's wrong or that I'd like changed that if Nexon were to actually fix it the game would play completely differently. The accuracy system, jump quests, potential... hell, even scrolling things in general right now is a stupid pomegranatety experience with all the duping of both items and equipment. I can't trust Nexon anymore to fix all that stuff, and even other things I haven't mentioned. Class balance, for example: There are classes with literally no advantages over others right now besides the superior class being creation-locked or playing them for the hell of it (knowing you're going to be worse than other classes).

There's so much wrong at this point that I've given up hope of it being fixed and I'm just waiting to see if they learn from their mistakes in Maplestory 2 (if it ever comes out).

20. Default Re: Suggestion for potential done right

this won't work. whole point of the potential thing is that you buy it in little bits.
    every time you use it you have a chance of improving

its like a lottery or a raffle

that way you end up spending lots of money without realising it