Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Default

Does going to college ensure you get to do research?

2. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

Because the alternative was to go in the army.

3. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

No, but not going to college pretty much precludes a career in academia...?

4. Default

Will your research require or be of interest to academia.

5. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

What.

I'm not sure we're on the same page here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academia

6. Default

Yes well. Say you wanted to study electrons traveling in a vacuum to see if they really do travel at the speed of light. You'd need apparatus that isn't normally available in anywhere but a physics or chemistry department. Now let's say you wanted to study the brown spotted mouse, however no one cares about it. How are you going to get funding or continue the project. How are you going to justify to the school that your time is better spent on studying animals than doing follow up reports on a clinical for a new human drug that is being experimented on mice. You want to do research. But do you know if you want to do academia research?

7. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

My reasoning was because I wanted to do more than just be stuck at home working small, meaningless jobs and make my mom proud by doing big, personally satisfying things in my life since neither of my older brothers either went or completed college. Also, I wanted to travel abroad while finding what I wanted to do with my life.

Island's too small to keep me in.

8. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

It's been crammed into my head that you cannot succeed if you don't go to college, which I don't really completely agree with but if I want to learn about physics and statistics and languages I best go to college.

9. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

How are you going to get funding for projects outside the system?

More importantly, being official about it means that:
    1) you're adding to the ~approved~ pool of knowledge (and depending on your field, how/whether you additionally disseminate your findings to the masses may be up to you), whereas even if you managed solo, resourcewise, nothing you say counts as far as the establishment is concerned, and your findings go no further than yourself and other similarly powerless people;
    2) you're in touch with and have access -- provisional though it may be -- to a community of fellow-researchers who may be mentors, collaborators, and dialogue-participants;
    2a) this includes previous generations of researchers whose writings are, 90% of the time, hidden behind paywalls that universities can access.

Also you get paid. Even if it's a piddling amount when you're starting out.

10. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

It was what was expected of me. Went there too early IMO, was not ready for it at all.

11. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

what if i didn't go to college?

12. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

Well, I want to keep becoming a more educated person. I have no idea what kind of job I will eventually get with my degree, but in terms of opportunities for academic and social growth, university seemed the right choice for me.

13. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

So I could get the education and experience required to get into the career I want to pursue.

14. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

Because it seemed interesting and i was still interested in learning more.
    And it was needed for me to enter the uni i am currently in. Or rather it was the easiest and most straight-forward way into said uni. Could've gone about it differently.
    But i saw no reason NOT to just go to college seeing that it included subjects i am interested in.

Spoiler

15. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

I don't know. Most of the time I don't want to go. But my signature is a pretty good motivator as to why.

16. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

Because the economy is awful right now.

17. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

Because they paid for me to go.

18. Default Re: Why did you decide to go to college?

Few reasons

Having been in school every year up until college, it felt natural to continue being in a school setting of some sort.

My career plans require that I attend college and grad school.