IGN: Fumni/AcerSavita
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 16X
    Job: Ketchup
    Guild: Resonance
    Alliance: Everybody Leeches
    New_Jersey

Cash0 Anyone else got hacked recently?

I recently signed on my Marksman to notice that some of her equipment and all of her mesos are missing. She logged in at the Free Market, when I left her at Ardent, so unless there was some weird reset, I got hacked. The weird thing is they didn't take everything either, and left behind some things that might have been worth more than what they stole.

I already logged a ticket, but I was wondering if there was a recent wave of hacking I wasn't aware of. If not, if anyone else has had a weird hacking that's not from the obvious issues (keylogger, shared account, etc) post here so we can develop a pattern and figure out what is going on.

If this thread isn't allowed or in the wrong place, feel free to move or lock it.

2. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

Some hackers leave something so that you don't feel completely crushed and start playing again so that they can hack you again sometime down the road.

3. Water
    New_Jersey

Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

Thanks, but this doesn't help me develop a pattern as to how I got hacked.

4. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

That sounds kinda like when I got hacked the last time Nexon had a database leak, but that was literally more than a year ago. The hackers took random pieces of my equipment and all of my mesos (hardly any because I was getting ready to transfer), but left all my white scrolls and my maple warrior 20 book. They siphoned the NX off my account, though. How long has it been since you logged onto that account?

5. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

Back in June someone changed all my info including e-mail but the strange thing is it wasn't some random e-mail, it was the e-mail that that i originally made my nexon account with I must have caught them in the act because nothing was taken thank goodness i spent the last 5k nx I had the day before but that doesn't explain why i still had everything else 900m some dent equips and a mw 30. Do they keep that e-mail on record or something because I tired to make a new account using that e-mail a while ago and it said it was already attached to a nexon ID.

6. Water
    New_Jersey

I signed on her about a week ago so I could junior my new dual blade. All of her equipment was still there at the time. I left her online for a bit when she dced, but that was the last time I saw her until I logged on recently.

7. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

How long has it been since you changed the password on that account?

I don't think we ever got an "all clear" on the last big account hacking epidemic. Not that Nexon are the sort to issue a formal "We figured out how they were doing it and we've blocked that method," as that would require admitting there had been something wrong with their security.

8. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

I guess it's possible you were just leftovers of the last leak assuming you haven't changed your password in a long time. I don't know all the details, but I know that the hackers approached it somewhat systematically and did the big worlds like Scania and Bera before trickling down to me on Bellocan. All my stuff on Zenith was left alone, so if you were on a less populated world you might have been put on the backburner. I also don't know the details of what was compromised. In my case, I had a short, unsecure password and an easily crackable pin. If all the hackers got was an encrypted password, it could take them considerably longer to brute force your password/pin.

If not, there might be a new leak.

9. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

I hadn't played for over 6 months and left my password unchanged. I came back about 3 months ago to find my account stripped of everything but my untradebales and 30k meso. I went searching in the FM for my gear and a clear meso farmer had gotten a hold of my info and took my stuff.

I noticed you're in YMCK so you might want to check to see if a character by the name of wuxian453 is selling your items, as that was the person selling mine.

10. Water
    New_Jersey

I changed the password when I returned back to MapleStory a couple of months ago, after using the password lock technique Spideyvic (sic) found to lock my accounts during the last hacking epidemic.

11. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

Sounds like the beginning of a new leak to me, assuming you didn't do something to otherwise compromise your account. Is your password unique to Maplestory?

12. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

I don't know about this, A lot of people have been hacked lately but also the people I personally know that have been hacked fell for a keylogger..

13. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

Few people hacked=/=database leak.

14. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

I know it's not a guarantee, but if I recall the last person who got unexplainably hacked came to Southperry to warn about a potential leak and got swept under the rug. Unfortunately, that was when the last leak happened and people didn't come to acknowledge it until most of Scania got picked over. At least these days Nexon seems to be pretty good about compensation.

15. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

Could you explain the manner in which they were tricked? Might save someone else from falling for the same trick.
    Commercially available keyloggers usually require that the victim click on an email attachment to get infected.

16. Water
    New_Jersey

I'd probably be more upset if they ended up stealing everything from my account. I can easily make the mesos back, but some of my items have sentimental value. I'm currently trying to see if I can find my equipment in the free market, since it would at least let me know for certain that it wasn't some weird glitch or something. In the meantime, stay vigilant if you still actively play MapleStory.

17. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

basically, Victim 1 gets ticked into going on a keylog trap website, then hacker (whilst on victim 1's account) tricks their friends into it. and repeats the process until people use common sense and avoid websites like that. I'd call this the most likely explanation for most hackings. However I won't rule out all possibilities.

18. Neutron Female
    IGN: HEYsammi
    Server: Scania
    Level: 200
    Job: Evan
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    California

That may be true, but we shouldn't let our guard down.

Sorry to hear you got hacked, hope you get compensated over 100k NX!

19. Water
    New_Jersey

Thanks, but NX isn't going to get my equipment back or restore my sense of security (which was already shattered from the hacking incident years ago). I'll keep you guys updated on my ticket response.

20. Default Re: Anyone else got hacked recently?

There has been a lot of this going around GAZED.