IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Default Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

I was personally a bit pleasantly surprised at how Nexon started doing their business the past couple of months. It was enough to sucker me back into playing the game again. And then, it hit me that as progressive as they've been lately, I think it won't get any better than that, and that's a major problem. Here's some good and bad things I've noticed:

Good:
    1. Removed MTS (aka 'the hacker's playground').
    2. Merged servers.
    3. 'Kind of' fixed duping..temporarily (more on this in the 'Bad' section).
    4. Gave us a Q&A interview (more on this in the 'Bad' section).
    5. Started answering tickets faster...albeit temporarily (more on this in the 'Bad' section).
    6. Got rid of the Decent skill glitch.

Bad:
    1. While they 'fixed' the main method of duping, I'm hearing about more and more things being duped in other ways lately, so dupes are still a problem. I was looking for Nexon to be more aggressive with people who use duped items and still have not seen it, especially with 2x attack duped equips being around and things like duped elemental staves being around (at least make the staves untradeable). What's the point of making things like GMs untradeable since hackers will just use them on weapons/etc and then sell those weapons? GMs should have been completely wiped.
    2. The interview answers they gave us showed how uninformed/apathetic they are towards their own game. At this point, this is pathetic.
    3. A bit too selective about which tickets they answer. A temporary boost in some tickets they answered isn't worthy of much praise.
    4. This one is most important to me....NO GM presence... still. When there's an abundance of botted items all over fm shops, you know for sure GMs aren't doing their jobs, regardless of fancy 'banned' lists.
    5. They still take FOREVER to fix glitches. Yet they're very quick when it comes to cash-shop-related things...

Poll: rate Nexon's current quality/competency.

2. God of Terrorism Straight Male
    IGN: Bomber123
    Server: StranInSCA
    Level: 202
    Job: Terrorist
    Guild: Noctivagant
    Alliance: I dont remember
    Farm: ExpiredMobs
    usa

Default Re: Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

GMs have been banning people who hack/d/c hack in scania empress. I don't know about other worlds.

3. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

While this is good, I still see shops with loads of botted items. There's too many training maps in this game, so botters can just go anywhere for their drops. Something's gotta be done about this, be it decreasing maps, or something else like a limit of how many drops of a certain kind you can farm per day. As far as GM monitoring goes, I'm still not convinced GMs are currently doing their jobs up to par.

4. Default Re: Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

In regards to hacked items, There really isnt a fix for that. Because the doubt of plausibility is there that it COULD be legit, they cannot simply remove them. I'm not saying that there's obvious things, like 38 att VSS are obviously hacked and should be deleted, but like a perfected empress weap could be duped but theres still the chance that its legit.

5. Default Re: Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

They've been improving, but there's still a lot of room to continue to improve.

6. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Right, but the empress equips aren't as much of a concern as things like 38 attack VSS and such, which should completely be wiped out of the game. And as for the equips which we can't tell for sure whether they're duped/illegally-generated, there's probably other, behind-the-scenes ways to check.

What would we rather do in a scenario like this:

Item A with 30 attack is massively duped.
    Someone makes an item B with 30 attack legitly by being extremely lucky with chaos scrolls.

Should we keep item A in the game because it's possible to make it legitly, or should we delete both item A and B (if both are completely indistinguishable from one another)? The answer is simple. I say we delete both in that situation because the damage in keeping item A has much more implication than the benefits of Item B for one or a few unlucky non-cheating players.

7. God of Terrorism Straight Male
    IGN: Bomber123
    Server: StranInSCA
    Level: 202
    Job: Terrorist
    Guild: Noctivagant
    Alliance: I dont remember
    Farm: ExpiredMobs
    usa

I was just replying in regards to your "No GM presence" comment.

8. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Yep, I understand. My point is that there still isn't enough GM presence, even with them banning people at empress. I think it needs to come to a point where we'll rarely see botters/ad-bots/dupers/other hackers. If GMs can't generally ban quicker than hackers keep making new accounts to hack with, not much is being done in the way of progress.

9. Default Re: Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

Yeah but how do you explain it to the person who made Item B? "Sorry your item may be legit but it could also be hacked so we're going to delete your hard work anyways just to be safe?"

10. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Yep, that's exactly how you do it. But again, there's gotta be some other ways/markers to tell if said item is duped. For instance, we know two of the same item cannot be fused if it's duped. Also, for duped cs items, we'd know they don't give charm when equipped. So if Nexon is careful enough, Item B wouldn't even get deleted.

11. Default Re: Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

Or they can just say: you're a hacker, say bye bye to item A/B, or here take 5K maplepoints

12. Default Re: Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

Your giving nexon too much credit. This is the company that deleted half of all adventurers just to removed hacked UAs, then reinstated all characters including the hacked UAs and just gave up.

I don't think theres that many ways to determine a duped item. Databases are not perfect and each item does not have a unique ID.

13. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

The problem is that Nexon isn't even trying. And if a certain item is duped to death, it usually has other unimportant stats (+x HP, MP, acc). Compare all of that item A's stats, including the insignificant ones, to item B, and a difference would most likely be spotted. I understand that Nexon's databases are probably POS without unique IDs or any IDs at all (lol) but common sense prevails. If they were to exert some common sense, there'd be a lot less issues.

14. Default Re: Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

While I think Nexon's presence across the game is improving, I don't agree with the way you think we should deal with duped items. I'm a regular maple player and I have no idea what a VSS is or that 38 atk is considered duped. You guys tend to forget that this game has A LOT of stuff in it and each one of those things has a variable amount of change being applied to them. To expect someone who does not play this game as often as we do to be able to make that judgement on a whim, is an awful lot to expect.

Should I think GMs be a little more educated in the game? Sure, but how do you educate them? Plop them down in the game and have them level up a character?

Also, the whole "we suspect your items been duped so we're going to delete it" is a terrible idea. Imagine if the person legitamately worked hard on the item, buying tons and tons of cubes just to get it perfect. You lose that very loyal customer, who probably has loyal customer friends. Deleting items like that without any hard evidence, without any proof is very unethical, even if it is just a game.

OT: For the past week I've been the Bera GM online quite a bit, so it's nice to see some community interaction. They're certainly improving, and hopefully continued to do so albeit a steady pace.

15. Default Re: Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

Hm, The start of the year was awful, DDoS attacks, Major Duping problem, a few exp exploits.. but this seemed to be the kick up the butt that was needed. Some obviously illicit items was removed and a hint of balance was restored.

Since around middle of the year, My thoughts on nexon as a company have been a lot more positive, however the game is far from fixed and if nexon was to keep up their work for another year perhaps I might actually like them. -shudder-

16. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

First off, how can ANY 38 attack shoes NOT be duped and/or made with something that is? Unless you've been not visiting the fm at all in the past year or so, it would be hard to miss those shoes. Another thing about obviously duped gear, is that it has hackers' names tagged to it. All that stuff is STILL in the game. And if the judgement is not ours as regular players to make, then who would you expect to make that judgement? Nexon? lol.

Yes. And if that doesn't work, hire someone trusted who has been a regular player for years as a GM. Nexon, as a worldwide successful company, has all the options in the world to improve themselves, as well as millions of dollars to contribute to it, so don't say this isn't plausible or is unreasonable for a company that makes hundreds of millions every year.

What do you consider hard evidence? And how is letting obviously duped and hacked items stay in the game any more ethical on Nexon's part than removing them and perhaps a few mistaken ones with it? Of course I wouldn't want the legitimate items gone, but if I had to remove them along with the thousands of duped ones as a last resort, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Might I ask what that GM you saw was doing?

17. Neutron Female
    IGN: HEYsammi
    Server: Scania
    Level: 200
    Job: Evan
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    California

How are dupes still around? Just because you seem more items or a deflation that just leads you to think that there's dupes? Smh. Provide some proof that dupes still exist other than that ridiculous NX dupe. And defining dupe; dupe is the duplication of an item that will NOT disappear after changing channels or logging off, just to clear that up.

We should all take what we're given, you don't know how Nexon really operates. They're running more than 1 game you know. "Oh why not just hire more people?", maybe that's because they're a company, not a group of people that made this game for your own pure entertainment.

At least they're even starting to reinforce and working to get better as to the past where they did almost nothing but unsched. s/cs and rollbacks.
    If they can't find a solution, and whatever problem is just bothering you because it's there and it doesn't affect you at all aka duped equips, hacked UAs, then you're going to have to deal with it until:
    A. they come up with a solid solution.
    B. they just gave up, so get over it.

Also, I strongly disagree with,
    You want to delete someone's hard work because there's multiple copies in game? Wow, that's completely rude. I'm not saying I support hackers/dupers and what they're doing, but you'd just lose customers that way.

Just because hackers exist you want to remove all the nice things or other peoples hard work? (excluding the duped equips) Such as MTS? Rather than removing, I rather they find a new method to replace whatever they're getting rid of.

Why don't we just delete the whole game or quit? The darn hackers are everywhere, people will continue QQing endlessly. If what Nexon's doing doesn't satisfy you, who else will? Play the game for yourself, and just have fun rather than notice things other people have or don't have. Other than the botters just getting in the way of training maps or dupers that used to channel crash/map crash, I don't see any of these affecting you personally. You might agree or disagree, but it's just my 2 cents on this. Too much cares given for things that don't even affect you other than visually.

18. Default Re: Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

@inSAMMIty I think If nexon's mods / GMs or whatever you want to call them actually became part of the community spotting duped items would be much easier, also wasn't it proven that duped items still have the same ID? If so it should be easy. To be honest I don't think the reason the items still remain in the game is because of the .1% chance that it's legitimate, more so that they know that their playerbase is filled with immature babies that will quit if their duped item is taken from them.

19. Neutron Female
    IGN: HEYsammi
    Server: Scania
    Level: 200
    Job: Evan
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    California

All we're doing is speculating how Nexon works, no one really knows how Nexon works unless they're an employee under Maplestory themselves. People assume too much how Nexon works and it annoys me. I'm not even sure if that same ID is true, probably is? Do we even know if cubing, fusing, or inno'ing would change the ID at all? It sounds absurd but what if it did change? I wouldn't know how to prove that. I don't know any game that doesn't have immature babies, plus it's customers > minor game concerns, and I emphasized minor because it's not like map crash or channel crashing that's hindering your gameplay, it's just equips.

20. Default Re: Nexon's competency/quality level the past few months

Yeah, you say that now, until one of YOUR items gets deleted. You can claim that you "wouldn't care" all you want, but if you paid serious cash out the ass to make whatever item got deleted, it's not a freaking joke. You WOULD care, and you WOULD be pissed off to no end.

This isn't a simple "Collateral damage, oh well!" scenario. People pay MONEY for some of this stuff. That's when it goes from an ethics issue, to a possibility of legal action issue. And Nexon is quite afraid of that.