Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Donations - [Project Completed] Eagle Scout Project

Hey guys! So I finally got through all of the paperwork and I am officially allowed to start collecting donations. A brief video description of my project is here:

Donation link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=D3LUR7FLRNVTQ

What is CAPTAIN: Community Action for Parents, Teens and Interested Neighbors is one of the most recognized and highly respected volunteer-driven organizations, serving the principal social, educational and prevention needs of youth and families in Saratoga County and beyond. CAPTAIN’s programs and services address the core issues facing society today: youth homelessness, poverty, youth violence, underage drinking and drug use, academic failure and family dysfunction.

Project Scope: Construction of a 10 ft by 10 ft storage facility at CAPTAIN's Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelter location. Facility to store gear for high-adventure rope course and other outdoor activities for use by the various CAPTAIN programs. In addition, a 4 x 8 x 8 foot firewood storage structure will be relocated, and a 100 ft hiking path created in the woods for accessing the high-adventure ropes course.

Project Schedule: Fundraising September 2012. Storage facility constructed, structure relocation, and path constructed - completed mid-October 2012.

Estimated Project Cost: Materials $1,000. Volunteers - 25; hours worked 240. Curtis Lumber (http://www.curtislumber.com/) has generously donated materials at reduced costs.

Fundraising Goal: 100 donations at $10 each!

To make a donation, go to: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=D3LUR7FLRNVTQ

For more information about CAPTAIN:
    CAPTAIN Youth and Family Services: http://www.captainyfs.com/index.html
    Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelter: http://www.captainyfs.com/youthshelter.html

If you have ANY questions, please comment or PM me! I will respond ASAP!

As for the whole online donations: I think it will be VERY cool if this works and I can raise the money this way. It will open up alternative donation methods for future Eagle Scouts, and help them achieve the rank of Eagle. For this to work, I am relying on YOU! I need you to spread the word; if you have a YouTube channel, make a brief video telling your subscribers to watch my video and help donate. Tell your friends/guild/alliance in Maple/WoW/Diablo/etc.!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and helping spread the word!

*I have received permission from Eos to post this here
    Last edited by Marksman Bryan; 2012-10-07 at 04:38 PM.

2. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

Donated a little.

The smile at the end of that video melted the ice in my heart.

3. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

If anyone really doubts him, yes, he has Eos' permission to post this.

4. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

:) Thank you very much!

I don't like talking to a webcam; I did like 30 takes and this was the only decent one

5. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: BuffDaSnail
    Level: 15x
    Job: DrK!
    Guild: Irresistible
    Alliance: IrreForce
    California

That voice is too good.

Anyways, let me see if I can throw something your way. I'm somewhat poor as fk right now, but I can figure something out. :)

6. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

Remade the video - this one turned out MUCH better.

Donations are starting to come in; thank you everyone! Continute to spread the word <3

7. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Loved the flags. And again that smile, haha :P

Hows it progressing?

8. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

:D
    It's progressing great! I've received several donations, people are helping me advertise, and I haven't run into any problems!

9. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

Next time I get paid I'll try and send a couple bucks your way. No promises, minimum wage doesn't leave me with much left over, but I'll try and help out.

I made podiums for my town's historic society's history trail as my eagle project.
    with nice signs on them saying a blurb about certain areas and buildings.

10. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

Updated video description with more details on CAPTAIN, project scope, schedule, and costs:

Donation link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=D3LUR7FLRNVTQ

What is CAPTAIN: Community Action for Parents, Teens and Interested Neighbors is one of the most recognized and highly respected volunteer-driven organizations, serving the principal social, educational and prevention needs of youth and families in Saratoga County and beyond. CAPTAIN’s programs and services address the core issues facing society today: youth homelessness, poverty, youth violence, underage drinking and drug use, academic failure and family dysfunction.

Project Scope: Construction of a 10 ft by 10 ft storage facility at CAPTAIN's Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelter location. Facility to store gear for high-adventure rope course and other outdoor activities for use by the various CAPTAIN programs. In addition, a 4 x 8 x 8 foot firewood storage structure will be relocated, and a 100 ft hiking path created in the woods for accessing the high-adventure ropes course.

Project Schedule: Fundraising September 2012. Storage facility constructed, structure relocation, and path constructed - completed mid-October 2012.

Estimated Project Cost: Materials $1,000. Volunteers - 25; hours worked 240. Curtis Lumber (http://www.curtislumber.com/) has generously donated materials at reduced costs.

Fundraising Goal: 100 donations at $10 each!

To make a donation, go to: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=D3LUR7FLRNVTQ

For more information about CAPTAIN:
    CAPTAIN Youth and Family Services: http://www.captainyfs.com/index.html
    Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelter: http://www.captainyfs.com/youthshelter.html

If you have ANY questions, please comment or PM me! I will respond ASAP!

As of this morning, we are 1/10th of the way to our goal! Thank you so much to everyone that donated/is thinking of donating!

11. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

Just an update: I will be organizing a small group to put in a foundation for the shed this weekend.
    We will be using small pits of gravel (so dirt doesn't get soggy and wash out from underneath) with solid concrete blocks (to make the shed level).

A different, simpler method will be used for the foundation.

I know I've said this multiple times, but please share the video with friends and family that might be interested! I have contacted several friends/acquaintances on YouTube, asking for a small video referring their viewers to my video, and only two responded. Several of the others think this project is illegitimate, so I will be posting update videos of the shed being built.
    Curtis Lumber will be delivering the shed package on the weekend of 9/22, and actual construction will start then. In an effort to save time, my family will purchase the materials while donations come in. So, please! CAPTAIN, the community, and I would greatly appreciate any publicity. Even if you just tell one person!
    Last edited by Marksman Bryan; 2012-09-25 at 01:12 PM.

12. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

Spread the video on my facebook. Time to wait and see if people are interested.

13. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

Sent in ten bucks
    Good luck man.

14. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

Don't know why I never thanked you @MuscleWizard; :( sorry
    THANK YOU!!

Plans changed and the shed size is now 8' x 8', which delayed purchasing the materials by a week.

I will be purchasing the materials from Curtis Lumber hopefully tomorrow, and I plan on starting and finishing construction this weekend (depending on how many volunteers I get - our Troop has the annual Fall camporee so quite a few of the younger guys won't be here).
    I will be posting a video on my channel and updating you guys here once it is all done!
    Donations are at about 45%, but a den leader in my brother's den (where I was den chief the past two years) gave me the number of a guy in marketing, and he has contacted his network. I just got off the phone with him and he said things are looking good, and a company (didn't specify) might just pitch in the rest of the money needed!

A big THANK YOU! (haha. get it?) to everyone that donated/shared the video/gave support!

15. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Glad to hear that it's going well, hope everything goes to plan :)

16. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

If donations are still needed then just send me a shout. I'll throw in 20.

17. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

My friend has been trying to raise money for his Eagle Scout project too. This seems like a good idea and a worthy cause. Unfortunately I can't donate but I wish you the best of luck.

18. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

Estimated cost is now around $900 instead of $1000 after the size change (I had to add a few items as well).
    Currently, I have raised $365. Donations are always appreciated - if there is money leftover, it will go towards purchasing needed materials for the Youth Shelter.

@Niernen; This has been an interesting experience - I am preparing a response for my Board of Review in case they ask about pros/cons of online donations. It was a very efficient way of contacting friends and family, but it also drew a lot of distasteful comments (which my dad was shocked by - I welcomed him to the internet). I wouldn't recommend this method for younger Scouts.

19. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

Did you consider using indiegogo instead of just a paypal link? You'd get more exposure.

20. Default Re: Donations - Eagle Scout Project

I did not. I have never tried something like this before and guess I did not research my options enough before I started; I assumed PayPal would be the easiest way to raise money.

I will be purchasing the materials today. The guy in marketing I've been talking to says I should be expecting final donations soon from some of his clients.

I will keep that site in mind in case I still need to raise funds and as a suggestion to other people who want to try online donations.