Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

I'm totally fine with people that have "some" creationist viewpoints, but I don't even think it's possible to have an intelligent conversation with someone who has an ENTIRELY creationist viewpoint and does not believe in evolution at all.

2. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

Still blows my mind that there are people today who do not believe in evolution.

America never ceases to amaze.

3. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

Wait till you see the results of the middle east!

4. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

No stupider than people in Africa and China who think they can ward of HIV with animal blood and that condoms will make their manhood shrivel up.

Stupid is universal. It just takes slightly different forms.

5. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

I really don't see the problem with Christianity and evolution. I think the whole creationism versus evolution debate is stupid anyways.

6. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

True. I only made that comment because I live in the U.S. and am confronted by my fellow Americans being stupid a lot more often than I am in situations where international stupidity is prevalent.

I bet the results from Israel would be fairly different from the results of elsewhere.

7. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Must be working for Africa but not for China.

Now, this is quite ignorant and a form of stupidity.

8. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

Believing in evolution requires just as much faith as any other religion.

Today they are trying to make science fit their beliefs, they are coming from a completely biased position. I see more fictional story telling to modern science than real science. Reminds me of something I saw on an archaeology program, one guy said something like "Give 10 Archaeologists a bunch of facts and they will come back with 12 stories to explain it" or something to that effect.

I strongly encourage you to thoroughly examine with open eyes and an unbiased mind the science...and then see what evolutionists are asking you to believe about that science.

9. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

God dammit Danny, look at the evidence.

10. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

My whole entire view on Evolution has been a lie.
    ALL OF IT.

11. フレイムチョコボ Straight Male
    IGN: FlameChocobo II
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Hero
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire

I'm going on Bill Nye the Science Guy's side. How "God created everything" ein't nothing but fairy tales.

Just seiyin.

12. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

That's likely to happen but it would mean that some of them are wrong or that there are several possible explanations for whatever they were studying.
    Them coming up with 12 different stories doesn't mean all of them would be "approved" by the scientific community.
    And even if you were right, it proves nothing. If you did examine science you'd see that one of the main characteristics is that science changes because the objects they study change too. However, at one given point in history scientist can agree that a theory is true because of facts, experimentation and the evidence they get from what they study.

Science doesn't require you to have faith. Faith is irrational. Science is the complete opposite, science is by all means rational.
    Believing in evolution doesn't require faith, requires rational thinking and studying of the arguments that support it.

13. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

Technically it requires you to have faith that the facts you're being presented have been verified by others and that the conclusions they've reached based off them are realistic if you don't have the resources to verify for yourself or the understanding necessary to analyze and/or refute the conclusions.

This is why the climate change argument continues still, for example. Unfortunately it's far more pressing than evolution which ultimately doesn't matter near as much as whether or not we're about to wipe ourselves out or need to be working to avoid doing so.

14. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Someone from my school spent a year as a transfer student on some really religious state (Inside the "Bible belt"?). Her classmates actually complained why they had to study evolution in school...

Wrong wrong wrong.

Believing in evolution requires just as much faith as believing in gravity or that earth orbits the sun. All I can say to creationists is: Go to the museum to look at the fossils and bones, go to the zoo to look at the apes, read what evolution means and what other proof there is to it and then come here with a poker face and claim that evolution is fake, all the fossils are plastic fakes planted by demons and that evolution is a religion. But please don't teach this "clever worldview" to your children, because humanity needs less Sarah Palins and more Einsteins.

Don't believe in anything, except an old jewish storybook? Oh that's fine! Just keep it to your fu'cking self.

15. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

It requires faith in real people with evidence you can view at your leisure and verify if you have doubts. That's quite different than asking my all powerful invisible friend. But hey, I'm a science major and 90% of what my professors say I take on blind faith. Maybe in the Renaissance every scientist had time to verify what every single discovery. It's just not practical with the current amassed knowledge.

"I will chose a path that's clear; I will chose freewill" - Rush

I have to agree with Nye's sentiment. Some of the opinions biases parents inflict on their children are rather cruel. All those wasted years in bible school...

16. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

I would say the same thing to you. Look at the facts, not the story told by the scientist to explain from his point of view what the fact is or how it came to be the way it is.

Fossils are what they are. Preserved dead things. How you then explain them is another matter.

A lot of scientific fact is nothing more than circular reasoning and logical fallacy when you closely examine it.

17. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

[citation needed]

18. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

Scientific fact is based on observation and experimentation. Please give examples of such "circular reasoning" and "logical fallacies". Also, since you said there were "a lot", you will need to list quite a few examples.

19. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

I'm having trouble understanding why you are posting this...

-snip-
    Last edited by Words; 2012-08-30 at 03:57 AM.

20. Default Re: Bill Nye On Creationism

The only "logical fallacy" I can think of are the theories of the birth of the universe. Personally, I believe that a higher entity started the cycle at the very beginning, but he's gone now, so pineapple 'em. There is already a bit of evidence showing that biological matter can form from nonbiological matter, which is why I left that out. Honestly, I would put a real, working theory of the creation of the universe sometime midcentury, but that's just me. After that point, rate of technological advance will increase exponentially due to the complete debunking of religion; only an idiot would follow something that is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be wrong.

Not saying there aren't idiots in this world, but the vast majority are just confused, looking for validation, or content with falling into line with others just so they don't have to go through the inconvenience of sticking out. Humans aren't inherently stupid, civilizations are. You can individually get logic through to a mass much easier than you can convince a large group of people gathered together. Sort of a form of bullying by singling them out, but I would argue that abolishing religion would be an incredibly positive effect on society and individuals alike, thus making it acceptable to be a little heavyhanded (psychologically, not physically) with the laggards. Of course, it could come out that god exists and is still present, but that would probably descend us into another dark age that we may never recover from, so I'd say ignorance would be better than knowledge; we do not have the capacity to understand entities completely beyond ourselves, that's what MAKES them completely beyond us. For that matter, if some lesser entity such as myself is capable of forming that thought, it would be arrogant to think that they are not capable of doing so as well, and because of that they stay out of the equation entirely just so humanity doesn't destroy itself in the quest to understand that which cannot be understood. No matter how bad crusades and other atrocities committed in the name of religion were, they would pale in comparison to cleansing with an actual, PHYSICAL avatar as the "stimulus" instead of one that is simply on a faith basis.