1. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Default a nice read about password cracking and safety.

i found this while going around, and i must say, it was pretty interesting, it talks about how people "hack" into accounts and the methods they use to crack the passwords.

i'm sure most of you know what's said here, but it's still interesting.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012...under-assault/

2. Default Re: a nice read about password cracking and safety.

I didn't realize rainbowtables cut down on the required space that drastically.

Also,

That right there is why I use 50+ character passwords for everything important. I just record them all in a text document on an external HDD that is only connected when I want to use the information, and voila, even if I somehow am compromised I'll (hopefully) notice before I connect it again.

3. Default Re: a nice read about password cracking and safety.

^ yep.

This is why websites/programs/etc frustrate me when they limit password length.

4. Default Re: a nice read about password cracking and safety.

Too bad I can't change my password because Nexon wants me to verify my credentials with a non-existent facebook account...

5. Default Re: a nice read about password cracking and safety.

"Letters" is pretty different from "characters", though?

6. Default Re: a nice read about password cracking and safety.

They misused the term, they are referring to characters, not letters; I've seen the time on letter only passwords, especially on older systems that convert everything automatically to capital letters, and even older systems could crack those incredibly fast; the ones we have now could finish a 7 letter in under a second.

7. Default Re: a nice read about password cracking and safety.

I see! Tsk, editors :P