1. Default Nintendo Power to cease publication

Full article can be found here.

I find this pretty sad honestly. I've been subscribing to them since I was in high school, since for most of my time playing games, it's been on Nintendo platforms. It was always nice having all the first and third party news for my systems centralized in one location. Nintendo Power also had the nice distinction of being very positive and upbeat, somewhat of a rarity for gaming magazines.

The sad fact of the matter is that despite my subscription, I still get most of my gaming news online; usually from Siliconera, Kotaku, or Gametrailers if I'm desperate.

I did find it somewhat interesting that Game Informer is the third most subscribed magazine in the country though. I wonder how many of those subscriptions are from Gamestop Powerup Pro memberships?

2. Can of Soup Male
    IGN: LunaMimosa
    Server: El Nido
    Level: 134
    Job: OP Elf Queen
    Guild: Some no-name guild
    Alliance: Read above.

Default Re: Nintendo Power to cease publication

... Aww, those poor guys. Feel bad for the lost jobs more than anything. and yes, the internet is killing print media.

That top 25 list made me laugh though. Old people love that AARP. However, that list goes to show how far gaming has come over the years. Outdoing generations-lasted media like National Geographic and Time is no small feat... even with Lamestop support considered.

3. Default Re: Nintendo Power to cease publication

Nintendo Power is still in print? Damn. I think I have issues ~50ish to 200+ in my closet.

4. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

They're all completely different magazines, though, without even mentioning the commitment of corporations to continuous evolution (I worked at Time Inc. this summer and their focus on moving forward is incredible - at the same time, it's worth noting that TIME and Time Inc. are part of the conglomerate Time Warner, one of the largest media corporations in the world, and so it's not like they're off by themselves as a sole print media company). TIME and National Geographic offer unique styles of storytelling that still make their reporting relevant, whereas in the modern age of internet culture, anyone can read/write any millions of video game reviews, essentially rendering what video game magazines do useless.

But obviously not entirely given Game Informer's performance, and in all honesty I can't speak for video game magazines of today because I don't know what they're doing differently now to increase subscribers that's different from when I was subscribing myself.

But yes, sad to see Nintendo Power fold after such a long time in print. It's weird - I was perusing through two massive stacks of old issues from like 2007-08 when I was back home last Monday and was wondering what they were up to lately, since I hadn't heard/seen anything. Welp guess here you have it.

5. Default Re: Nintendo Power to cease publication

I signed up for Nintendo Power 3 years ago. After my first years subscription expired i exented it for another year. I got 2 magizines the whole year. never bothered to find out why i stopped getting magizines because i got a free GameInformer.

6. Helium Atom Male
    IGN: UhWut
    Server: Windia
    Level: 241
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: SquishyNoobs
    Alliance: Wings
    Virginia

I still have that Magazine full of posters when they ran out of that one promotional item I forgot I wanted... Anyways, I thought they stopped publication of those years ago already.

7. Default Re: Nintendo Power to cease publication

ITT: People forgot magazines still exist

I got Game Informer for a few years but only because of the free subscription for a GameStop card. I imagine that is where most of those "subscriptions" really come from like said previously.

8. Default Re: Nintendo Power to cease publication

I had about 7 years of their stuff from the late 90's till around '03. Mostly jumped in with the N64 crowd. Unfortunately, I sold them all a few months back since I simply didn't have room for them anymore. The nostalgia regret was tremendous already letting them go, and now knowing that they could also hold some real value... It's just sad.

Bad enough I see kindergarteners with smart phones these days, but I'm just really starting to feel old. Even back then the internet existed for information about games and such, but I actually had to print it since connections were unstable and costly.

R.I.P. Old mediums. May the progress that treads over you not lead to further impersonalization and foster a culture all it's own.

9. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Well this is a disappointment. I used NP all the time to check out what there is to come. And how are Nintendo fans going to get their collective strategy guides now?

10. Default Re: Nintendo Power to cease publication

Didn't Nintendo Power cease their line of "official strategy guides" a while back? I thought they handed over those to Prima.

11. Default Re: Nintendo Power to cease publication

I was a subscriber for a couple of years too. Kinda sad but it seemed inevitable.

12. Default Re: Nintendo Power to cease publication

Update: Apparently, the December issue will be the final one in publication.

13. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Not whole strategy guides, but guides for random games that are usually 10-20 pages. I remembered back in a REALLY old issue that they had an entire guide, listing map and item locations for Mega Man X3. Granted they stopped at the Dr. Doppler stages so you have to go in blind at the last 4 hardest levels, but it's still rather nice to be able to get stuff like that in a magazine made by Nintendo. There was another guide I remembered in NP that was for the Game Boy Color remake of Crystalis. I think they went from the beginning of the game to the end in about 30 pages or so. Stuff like that I'll miss.

14. Default Re: Nintendo Power to cease publication

Whoops. I had forgotten about those. I remember them doing one for Kingdom Hearts: CoM when that came out.

The Animal Crossing Quarterly Section I really liked as well.

15. Default Re: Nintendo Power to cease publication

Think ill be able to purchase the final issue through a store?

I'd like to own the last onee, even tho im no longer subscribed