Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

More...

2. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

Price to beat the end-game bosses in current P2P games on consoles: 40 euro/dollar
    Price to beat the end-game bosses in current F2P games like Maplestory: 4000 euro/dollar

Nah, I think P2P games will stay around a lot longer... ;)

3. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

wth is he talking about lol, 9 times out of 10 i'd get so much more fun from a console game than the same value in NX..

4. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

Daniel Kim needs to stop talking to the press. This is embarrassing.

5. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

I actually prefer the console model to F2P, as long as they don't pull an EA on me (Day 1 DLC, required DLC for story) I would much rather pay $60 for the entire experience that the game holds rather than paying $1.2 per item for a chance to get better at the game. F2P is a garbage model under Nexon.

6. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

Although, honestly, at this point, I'm not too worried about Nexon's CEO's image.

7. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

What's worse?

Making P2W on a F2P,

or putting important payable DLC on a console game?

Daniel's thought about consoles dying was a bit too extreme. F2P may pay off better than a full game bought in one price of $60, but how many hardcore players can you attract and keep them long enough to them to pay for pomegranate than your causal video game player paying for full games on a console/PC? (assuming no cheap tricks)

Anyone have a general consensus on revenue for both consoles and F2P?

8. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

WHY COULDN'T THE EA BUYOUT HAVE BEEN TRUE? I think I would honestly do anything for that feeling of satisfaction that would come from seeing two of the three companies that are responsible for the depression of the gaming market kill themselves like a headless, thrashing snake; they've killed any drive for innovation, which obviously includes new IPs, but that also includes the fact that devs don't make decent new engines/systems anymore. Why bother, when you can just copy/paste old, pomegranatety ones, or make new ones for nothing and call it state of the art? I think the issue even bigger than that is, by killing innovation, they have killed the drive to satisfy the customer, and have brought about a new wave of companies that use gamers as a literal cash cow instead of an actual audience.

9. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

This is about as convincing as Zynga's CEO saying non-casual gaming will die.

10. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

*sees thread title*

...console games are going to get hit by a climate changing meteor?

11. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

how about pull a capcom and make some of the data on the cd locked as DLC, and force users to buy another version of the game to unlock more characters rather than make them DLC.

12. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

Nothing more to say.

13. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

Generalization fallacy on Kim's part. The rest of the world's behavior cannot be predicted based on a few market studies done in Korea. Also notice that the the statement that console developers will have to "earn the business" is based on absolutely nothing.

14. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

Imagine if Nexon ran any of the CoD games in their F2P model...

10 cents per bullet to reload, $1.2 to randomly upgrade weapons, etc..

Oh the possibilities for them there.........

15. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

What the hell is he talking about?

.....Console gaming is already dead. What we see before us is a shambling corpse.

16. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

The F2P model is definitely the future, but probably not for console gaming. Console gaming is becoming stagnant due to other reasons. Also, I don't feel like he's the best person to say things like this when Nexon America is actually a good example of how a F2P business model shouldn't be.

Unfortunately many people believe F2P can never be done right because there are so many who do it so wrong. It seems like many companies view things as, ''Well, if it ain't broke don't fix it''. In other words, ''If we can still get a decent amount of money then why bother changing it?'', without realizing they have room for improvements. They seem to just settle in practices that aim to make them a quick buck instead of focusing on proper balancing for what the player can get with their money, and if there is a reasonable and fair way to obtain it in-game, for example. In Maple you typically can get nowhere near what a paying player can get without having to spend days, weeks, or even months hoarding up on various types of items, merchanting them, etc. Does this sound reasonable? Holy Christ, no, and especially not when you have to repeat the process over and over until you finally get anywhere near what the paying player achieved in just the fraction of the time. This isn't proper balance, and only makes the player feel forced into paying, or even resorting to ''cheating''. Why is hacking so prevalent in gMS? Because Nexon America (Or Nexon in general, really) produces the strong demand for players to cheat themselves. Instead of trying to combat the hackers directly, why not try to look at why people feel the need to want to cheat in the first place and fixing those issues?

They won't, because they're too busy trying to force players into becoming invested into the game, then taking advantage of that for extra money. This is typically how DLC works in ''traditional'' gaming. Companies usually get away with charging for DLC, or ''Collector's Editions'' for added content because they know people have already become invested into the franchises. If the player is already invested chances are they'll keep desperately shelling out more money when DLC comes along, even if they don't like it.

17. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Lmfao. They think they actually "earn our business."

18. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

I might make a video game just to manage it right and become the richest most loved person on the planet, I'd only accept being second to LoL or Valve

19. Default Re: Nexon CEO says consoles will F2P or die

Sure, it is quite funny to hear this from a Nexonian, but when companies keep doing pomegranate like Capcom for example... I don't think he is all that wrong

20. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Oh lawd, the title alone is full of lulz.

Time to use the classi-

OKAY, PLAN B.