1. Default Laptop loses internet connection when lid is closed

This didn't start happening until yesterday morning and I thought it was just a fluke thing so I ignored it, but it happened again last night.
    It was fine before and I was able to leave the lid closed through the entire night and the game would stay up the entire time (usually 7-10 hours).
    I did not change any settings.
    I did not update anything that would have changed any settings.

If it helps, my laptop is an HP Pavilion dv6 1253cl with Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 installed. My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 and it is up to date with updates. I use a "High Performance" power plan with pretty much every setting turned off or selected to do nothing when the lid is closed.

I can't figure out what the problem is.

I can list more details if necessary.

Guess I should add this, when I open the lid it shows the game disconnected with the notice one would see when the game is down for a maintenance or whatnot. The internet icon in the notification area shows me connected to wifi still, but it has the little yellow exclamation point that indicates I have no internet connection.

2. Default Re: Laptop loses internet connection when lid is closed

I can think of two things: Either Windows is powering the card off (due to power-saving settings that would usually take effect when closing the lid), or closing the lid causes the wifi reception to change such that you can no longer get a reliable signal. Here's a free utility I found that can track signal strength over time; you could use it to log how the signal changes based on the laptop's position and state. inSSIder

I should also add that nearby objects can affect wifi signal, even if they are not physically between the laptop and the access point. So, if you've recently rearranged the furniture or something, that could also be a factor.

3. Default Re: Laptop loses internet connection when lid is closed

No settings have changed though, so I don't see how that could be the cause. I have all the power-saving settings disabled or turned off.
    Nothing has been rearranged either. Everything is in the same place as it's been for at least a year now. We gained another laptop around 3 months ago, but it's always turned off at night so I don't think that could be the cause. It's further away from the router than I am anyway.

4. Default Re: Laptop loses internet connection when lid is closed

It's possible that a recent update you did changed some settings to default. Have you run a Windows Update recently, and did it download drivers for your wifi hardware?

5. Default Re: Laptop loses internet connection when lid is closed

None that I'm aware of. Windows Update says it hasn't even checked for any since April.
    I checked all the settings and they were the same as before this started happening.

edit: I'm running Windows Update right now and letting it do its thing so maybe that will resolve something. Guess I'll find out soon.
    edit2: Well it finished and I let it restart and it's still doing it. I checked all the settings again and they're all still the same.

6. Default Re: Laptop loses internet connection when lid is closed

In the short term you could always throw a blanket over it... but I have Power4Gear Hybrid which is an Nvidia or Asus thing (I think), but even with that it still had some messed up settings you had to change manual. I believe in control panel theres power settings might wanna check there for some weird bizarre settings.

7. Default Re: Laptop loses internet connection when lid is closed

Yeah that's probably what I'll end up doing tonight since I still can't figure it out. I just don't like having the screen left on.
    The settings I was referring to were the ones in the Advanced Power Settings when you go into "Power Options" and then "Edit Plan Settings".
    I don't know of any other settings that there could be.

8. Default Re: Laptop loses internet connection when lid is closed

It's an Asus thing. Mine doesn't have any messed up settings but I only use high performance and power saving, the rest are of no use to me.

9. Default Re: Laptop loses internet connection when lid is closed

Get a screensaver up of some black image and turn your brightness down uber-low to prevent "stain"ing? If monitors even do that anymore