IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

I remember when Phantom was supposed to be the "Glass Cannon" of Maple. Now look what happened...

2. Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

The tradeoff is supposed to be survivability for damage. That's what the concept of a Glass Cannon is supposed to be about - high damage, but low survivability - as opposed to a Tank, like a Paladin. I'd still consider classes like Mercedes and Phantom to be glass cannons but their avoid rates make it difficult to classify them as such...

3. Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

Glass is transparent so you can't see me and will fire blindly, thus missing loads of times =P

(yea yea juz being lame)

Hadriel

4. Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

The concept of "Glass Cannon" can not apply in a game like MapleStory. In any game where you can spam potions, you can not have a Glass Cannon unless you die in one hit.

In MapleStory, getting hit for 20% of your HP and getting hit for 95% of your HP is the exact same thing. Either way, you can pop a potion and you'd be right back where you started.

5. Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

I beg to differ, time spent potting is time not attacking. If you have to pot every time you get hit to prevent death by the next attack, that means you're fragile, even if you have high DPS. Then there's pot cooldown, which prevents pot spam. You can bring all the DPS classes you want to Empress, but if they all die in one hit, whereas the Paladins and Shadowers are still alive, then the DPS classes that died are glass cannons and Pallys/Shads are tanks. The concept was clearer pre-BB when you had bishops dedicated to healing and Dark Knights solely for Hyper Body for the fragile Night Lords and Bowmasters but the idea of a glass cannon still exists.

6. Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

You mention time spent potting, yet this isn't even an issue. AutoHP is permanent and easily acquired, even with meso. You can also use potions during "key-down" attacks, so I don't see where this point is coming from.

At no point in time is time spent potting ever even remotely an issue unless you stop everything, type to your party "Hey guys, is my HP low enough?", wait for a response, and then press the hotkey for whatever potion you use.

7. Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

I don't know about you, but when I'm at Zak on a mage class, if I ever get 1/1ed, I have to spam my pots so that I don't die to the next thing that touches me. Even a single second of lag can get me killed. I've never had auto-HP before so I can't speak from experience about that. Any time I spend hitting my pot key is time I can't spend attacking, and with a lot of skills, pots don't work when you're in the middle of an animation.

I played as a Corsair back when Pirates were first introduced, and they trained at Newties/Skeles. If you got touched and didn't pot like mad, you were going to die, and 10% meant a LOT back then. Even though Battleship Cannon did a ton of damage, Corsairs died very easily. Paladins have never had to deal with this, but they've had a smaller range and less damage to account for the difference. This is my idea of what a Glass Cannon is - high damage, usually ranged, but fragile.

I'm just saying that the CONCEPT of Glass Cannons does exist in Maple, despite Nexon's efforts to make everything loloverpowered and unkillable with 70%+ dodge rates on top of avoid. It doesn't apply very often anymore, but the idea is there.

8. Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

Alright, let's talk about the past, then.

I don't ever remember any sense of urgency or risk of dying, levelling at Grim Phantom Watches as a Fire Poison Mage without Magic Guard.
    I don't ever remember any sense of urgency or risk of dying, playing a level 50 Zakum Helmet buyer's character.
    I don't ever remember any sense of urgency or risk of dying, levelling at Skelegons and Skelesaurus as a Marksman.
    I don't ever remember any sense of urgency or risk of dying, fighting Horntail on my 170 Marksman or 124 Buccaneer.
    I don't ever remember any sense of urgency or risk of dying, when I was playing an unwashed Dark Knight in Berserk.

I do not see where the sense of Glass Cannons exist, when nothing can kill you in one hit, unless you did something stupid.
    "I die if I jump straight into Horntail's tail as a Marksman" does not make me a Glass Cannon, it makes me an idiot.

9. Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

Maybe you and I were playing different games, then, because I was always on edge at Zakum, and still am if I'm on a character that doesn't have dodge. Miss a pot and you die. Keypress does not guarantee a successful pot. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

10. Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

"Glass Cannon" is technically incorrect. It's more like fake difficulty. Where as a true glass cannon could overcome the drawbacks with skill, in a non-skill game like MapleStory, boss attacks tend to be an HP Gate, where you must have this much HP to survive. If you can survive, hooray. If not, that doesn't make the class a glass cannon. It just makes the boss exclusionary, discriminatory against classes with lower HP and just poorly designed in general. Like Magnus. HIS SWORD CANNOT BE BEAT!

Suffice it to say, Mapler's need to stop thinking about the game in the traditional sense, and more in the real sense, where the name of the game is fake difficulty and power creep. There's no glass cannons, tanks, survivability or skill. It's just a matter of whether or not a class gets enough HP to fight a boss, if the enemy has undodgeable homing or hard to dodge half screen nigh unavoidable AOE attacks. But when it comes to regular training and mobbing, it's pretty much a moot point since the difference in strength between bosses and mobs is the difference in strength between the cash whores and true legits.

tl;dr There's no such thing as a glass cannon in MapleStory. Any class can mob. Bosses only have HP gates.

11. Default Re: KMST 1.2.444 - Bisyouzyo Sensi Sailor Burster

He's not agreeing to disagreeing. He's basically playing a different game. A lag-free one that comes with auto-pot, because those virtually guarantee survivability.

Get back in topic please. This thread is not about glass cannons or their existance in Maplestory.

Hadriel