Server: Khaini
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

Default Gaming Reality

Article

Considering the above is a screenshot from CNN's current homepage, and the article is quite interesting, it's time to bring this discussion to head again.

5 warning signs of gaming addiction

Thoughts? Comments? Watch the video in the original article (link at beginning of post) for scenes of MapleStory as well.

2. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

In one of the video links:

Continued watching:

This just became a whole lot more interesting!

3. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

Interesting article. It's a nice break from "people who play video games are addicted to them". I'm a bit curious about virtual-reality therapy is used as treatment though. I haven't really heard much on it.

4. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

I really liked how they differencied pro-gamers and addicts. I look up to them because they're making money with something they like, and I hate seeing the society in general labeling them as hopeless addicts.

5. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

The funny truth about this all is...

- Every person who spends more then 2 hours per day gaming is an addict, being "pro" gamer or not, it's still addiction. There is no difference.
    - Every person who spends more then 2 hours per day watching tv is ALSO and addict, but it's commonly accepted in society.
    - Every person who drinks more then 2 glasses of alcohol per day 2 times per week is ALSO an addict, but it's commonly accepted in society.
    - Every person who works more then 50 hours per week and likes it, is an addict (workoholic) but this is sort of applauded in society.

The world has SO many addictions, just some are more accepted then others

I think it was really hypocritical to applaud for your son when he starts making money with gaming, while he's still doing the same thing as people who game the same amount of time as he but don't make mone... just hilarious... as if this is now something "healty" to do...

The only true thing about this report was "RPG's have no end.
    Though he forgets to tell, pro gaming doesn't have an end either, because, what IS the end? Winning 10times? Winning 20times? Winning in another game also? Or winning in 2 games at the same time? Winning in pro-gaming are the quests of the RPG called real life, in theory, they're not that much different then the quests in an RPG if you spend hours, days, months of your life "completing" them.

Living life according to the rules of society is also an addiction with quests and achievements...

But maybe people should start realizing that the RPG called real life for some people is a game that totally sucks balls, and that is why they escape into another "life" caring less if it's real or not.

I think in about 100 years (imagine the realism of virtual world simulations by then), a lot of people will care less if worlds they live in are real or not, as long as they are happy in that life and get food to survive.

Imagine a whole world population living in virtual lives... Would people still call it "addiction"? ;)

6. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

You clearly don't know what an addiction is.

7. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

This is nonsense...

Thing is.... we don't live in that world. This is our world, REAL WORLD.

8. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

Of course it is nonsense, it's fiction, that's why it's not real...

It's just an hypothesis that's why it started with "Imagine".

9. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Oh I'm sorry, but you were typing with so much seriousness I couldn't differr from your ideas.

10. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

4 of the 5 warning signs apply to me and I still don't care.

Neat.

11. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

I'm guessing you didn't lose your job yet right?

12. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

Sweet Christ why are your posts always so terrible? We might need a pomegranate button after all.

13. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

The only part that is horribly inaccurate is the beginning. 2 glasses of alcohol 2 times a week? 50 hours of work per week? That applies to what, 100% of the working population? The point of the word "addict" is obviously to portray someone who does something much more often than the average person.

14. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

"Addict" has actual medical/neurological meaning, dude. It doesn't happen to be "someone who does something much more often than the average person".

15. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

I don't have any of the 5 yet my parents call me addicted. :/

16. Deluxe Refrigerator Straight Male
    IGN: Blackraven16
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 176
    Job: Fire/Posion
    Guild: Osomga
    usa

How did they come up with that conclusion?
    I show 2 of the 5 signs (might have been 3 but I never did my hw in school anyways) though I do believe I am addicted I try not to let it ruin my life.

17. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

They just think that I don't go out that much which they called my little brother and I addicted to the computer.
    Now they tell us to not go out anymore because we spend too much money.

PICK YO MIND ALREADY! DJSGDGHSKDJSD

18. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

Right, but the actual values that are given are usually not correct, professionally or otherwise. There are a ton of other factors besides "time spent", which was my point.

19. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

I think this definition comes from The Devil's Dictionary:
    "Alcoholic: Someone who drinks more than his physician."

People throw that word, "addiction", around far too much. Like "OCD" and "hyperactive" and all sorts of other labels.
    To me, I don't much care about the medical or neurological definition.
    I go by the definition that if you're doing something to the point where it significantly harms you or other people, you're doing it too much. If you're aware of that and unable to stop, you're addicted.
    (You can also be physically addicted to something that benefits you, in which case, I see no reason to cure the addiction.)

20. Default Re: [CNN] Gaming Reality

What if I have a job, and I exercise, and I have friends AND time to game more than 2 hours a day. Am I addicted?