IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

Oh come on... Like that doesn't happen all the time. They lost to make sure that they won't face another chinese team before finals.

There's no way to prove it and imo it's just a cruel but good tactic.

2. Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

Tell that to the officials that just disqualified all 4 teams. I guess Badminton is pretty much ruined in this games. Maybe they will go back to the old system next time.

3. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    finland

motherfking tight-asses... Strategic moves like that should be allowed in my opinion, but it's not even that. It's the fact that this is really common. Hell, next step is that they disqualify Usain Bolt if he intentionally slows down in semis to save some speed for the finals. And I wonder if they would've disqualified British teams out...

4. Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

Not an excuse. That just means they should be tougher on people so that cheating becomes less common.

How is that even remotely the same thing? Does slowing himself down in the semifinals somehow make him compete against slower runners in the finals? No? Then it's not even a comparison.

Hurrr. Yeah, these things are totally decided by members of one country and not an international committee.

I like the way you ignored the fact posted in the report earlier that the Chinese Olympic committee didn't even try and appeal the decision, and started another inquiry of their own in to the behaviour of the athletes.

The fact that they didn't appeal it is pretty much an admission that they don't want to put up with that pomegranate either.

5. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Logically, it makes sense for the badminton players to lose on purpose. It's the goddamm Olympics. You're trying your hardest to win.

Emotionally, IT'S THE GODDAMM OLYMPICS. You're supposed to be trying your goddamm hardest to win, use all your strength and muscle and sweat and tears to persevere. If you try to lose on purpose then what's the purpose of millions of fans out there coming to see the greatest athletes in the world try their best to win? Give me the satisfaction of winning silver and the silver medal instead of a gold that I tried to lose on purpose to get any day.

6. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    finland

Did this tactical decision really hurt other players in some way? Isn't it more fault of the system that makes losing more benefitical than winning? In this case both teams wanted to lose, as far as I know. There's no connection to betting or criminality either. And again there's no way to prove that ALL those teams were in this thing. Lozmaster, I'm not saying that it was decided by Brits, but the committee would definitely think twise about pissing off British fans in their own Olympic games.

This decision was based on assumptions and is way too controversial to go this far. Warning would have been good, but dropping 4 possible medal-candidates out of the game? That destroys Women Double's tournament for everyone.

7. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

Guess you're a proponent of "counting" in 21, too?

They may have gone too far with automatically disqualifying. I don't know. It's probably in the rule book. It's not my place to judge. I'm thinking it's probably pretty easy to tell if a team is intentionally knocking the birdie into the net or not though.

I found an interesting article, shared by @WillDaSnail on Facebook, today. Jesus Christ 10,000 condoms.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...-espn-magazine

8. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: BuffDaSnail
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 15x
    Job: DrK!
    Guild: Irresistible
    Alliance: IrreForce
    California

Fixed :P

Also, I forgot to mention this to you, but lol @ the condom graphic in the article. (Hint: their different sizes)

9. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

Holy crap I was surprised when Mariel Zagunis was ousted from the gold, but from the bronze too? Guess she never felt the pressure before.

10. Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

This badminton issue is tricky. I disapprove of the players' blatant lack of effort, but I don't think there are proper grounds to dismiss them from the games. Had the IOC and BWF instituted a system that didn't reward losing, there wouldn't have been any match fixing. The Chinese ladies (the top-ranked team in the world) weren't even afraid of playing higher seeds, they just didn't want to have to play their compatriots in such an early round. Olympic spirit is one thing, winning medals and supporting your home nation is another.

In my opinion, a single-elimination tournament with compatriots placed in opposite halves (à la tennis) would be more appropriate.

11. Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

If China wins most Gold, I'm slapping my Chinese friend in the face.

12. Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

It's not based on assumptions because there's plenty of evidence they weren't trying. They were also given a warning before being thrown out. Beyond that, the Olympics are not about who is the best tactician. It's about great athletes giving it their all. You're technically cheating when you attempt to undermine the system simply for a medal; it goes against the spirit of the game on every level. If you're not giving it your all the entire time then you don't deserve a medal.

13. Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

Pisses me off how NZ coverage of this sucks and I can't see pretty much any videos of actual badminton games because I'm not in "x" country.

14. Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

everyone is like 'meh' when chinapore got a bronze medal(table tennis). others are like "HEY ATLEAST SHES REPRESENTING SINGAPORE". I personally do not care... I would rather see a fellow singaporean lose than see a chinaporean win. I would've still be proud of the singaporeans.

15. Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

They have a good chance of doing so, they did so the previous Olympics. Warm that hand up.

That's how I felt about it when I heard this, you play within the constructs you are given. If rules make earning Gold easier if you follow a certain route, then you ought to be allowed to take that route. Competition is all about winning, the spirit of competition is no different. So whether judged by spirit or tactics, I can accept their actions. Without changes, this just encourages less blatant tanking in the future. It's like the NBA and its worst teams, there's obvious tanking but not too obvious to bring on the wrath of Stern.

16. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

Hurray for Danell Levya for winning bronze in the men's competition. Personally did not know his blanket has like 5,000 followers on Twitter. Sucks for his teammate, though =/.

Can't watch the women's all-around live tomorrow, ew.

Grats to the American women for winning gold in the 4 x 200 free. Show them Aussies, heh heh.

17. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: BuffDaSnail
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 15x
    Job: DrK!
    Guild: Irresistible
    Alliance: IrreForce
    California

Here in the U.S., NBC has a monopoly on Olympics coverage (which is ****ing lame IMO), and they show the footage 5-6 hours after it happens for the ratings + $$$. End result is that it sucks balls many times over (one being SPOILERS GALORE!). If you want to watch it live, you will have to watch the livestream on the interwebz with an active cable/satellite TV subscription. :\

I feel for ya.

18. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

Thank god my Dad watches a lot of TV...

19. Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

I wouldn't mind a replay in the evening...except they don't replay tennis. The only time I can catch it is when I'm busy, when they play some of it live. -_-

20. Default Re: 2012 London Olympics

If you guys have Windows Silverlight you can stream the events (even past ones) on CTV.ca. Not limited to Canadians AFAIK.